Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting "Top up coolant" even though my coolant is entirely filled up. Anyone with a similar experience? this mostly happens now as it's summer however it apears to be happening mostly when i push the car a little hard.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for the info! It's so nice to have a resource like glawowners.com to check out information quickly. So, here are some details in case others face the same message.

I got the same message last night after driving in traffic (temp showing 212 F). I checked the reservoir and it seemed pretty full. I then read the manual and it said to open the cap and check for a line inside (of course once the coolant is cool).

This may be a thing with Mercedes (GLA being my first MB) but on all other cars I have owned I can check the coolant level without opening the cap.

In any case, I was a bit low (like a cup) and ended up just using distilled water to top it off. With a cup, the 50/50 mix is not going to be affected. I would have used a 50/50 mix of OEM coolant if I needed more than half the reservoir.

Here are some pictures of the T shaped indicator inside the coolant reservoir in case others don't know about this MB set up.

Lastly, you have to close the cap pretty tightly. So, check where the picture on the cap is before you unscrew it. Mine was basically straight when in place, so I had to tighten it pretty well and actually felt a very small click with the last turn.

Attachments

Reactions: 23481

·
Registered
84 Posts
Speaking of coolant

I recently had an interesting experience relating to the coolant in my 2015 GLA 250 4matic. I was occasionally getting a low coolant warning when parking on a steep incline with the front of the car higher than the back. I decided to top off the coolant and researched to find out which type of MB coolant I should add. Internet site https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/310.1_en.html, is the Mercedes Benz document, MB 310.1 which calls out coolant specifications and requirement by production date, year and month. Since my car had a production date of 11/2014, per MB 310.1 it should have been filled with the latest and greatest pink coolant, 126.5. To my surprise, my car was filled with blue coolant which is previous generation coolant, 126.0. Blue coolant, 126.0, is specified for cars up to and including a manufacture date of 4/2014. Since my car's maufactue date was 11/2014 it should have been filled with pink coolant. The pink coolant, 126.5, is free of borat and 2-ethylhexanoic acid that is contained in the blue coolant, 126.0. When I reported this descrepancy to the dealership, they flushed the blue coolant and refilled with pink coolant with no explanation. The service manager said he would check in to it for me, but has not.

·
Registered
106 Posts
... 126.5, is free of borat and 2-ethylhexanoic acid that is contained in the blue coolant, 126.0. ...
is 126 a typo? the list you sent says 325.6 and/or 326.6?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry, you are correct. I was afraid I was going to mess it up, but I didn't think I would mess it up that bad. Below is the corrected version. I was working from a copy that had the left side cut off and made the 3's look like 1's. I don't know why I interchanged the 5's and 6's. I thought I was being careful. FYI 325.0 is blue full strength, 326.0 is blue 50/50 mix, 325.6 is pink full strength, 326.6 is pink 50/50 mix. (I hope I didn't screw that up)

Corrected version of Speaking Of Coolant

I recently had an interesting experience relating to the coolant in my 2015 GLA 250 4matic. I was occasionally getting a low coolant warning when parking on a steep incline with the front of the car higher than the back. I decided to top off the coolant and researched to find out which type of MB coolant I should add. Internet site https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/310.1_en.html, is the Mercedes Benz document, MB 310.1 which calls out coolant specifications and requirement by production date, year and month. Since my car had a production date of 11/2014, per MB 310.1 it should have been filled with the latest and greatest pink coolant, 326.6. To my surprise, my car was filled with blue coolant which is previous generation coolant, 326.0. Blue coolant, 326.0, is specified for cars up to and including a manufacture date of 4/2014. Since my car's manufacture date was 11/2014 it should have been filled with pink coolant. The pink coolant, 326.6, is free of borat and 2-ethylhexanoic acid that is contained in the blue coolant, 326.0. When I reported this discrepancy to the dealership, they flushed the blue coolant and refilled with pink coolant with no explanation. The service manager said he would check in to it for me, but has not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a 19 GLA45 and noticed the coolant is full (new from dealer) with coolant right up to the cap. This is odd as most vehicles I've owned only have it less than half full to allow for expansion. I'll check manual, but curious what other coolant reservoirs on these look like when serviced. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
350 Posts
If you're referring to the plastic coolant expansion tank then No, it should not be filled to the top but rather proper level as marked on its side. As you cite it's usually about halfway to allow for expansion and even when the engine is very hot it's not anywhere near the top.
Dealership service often overfills fluids. My last oil change was overfilled as well (which is actually worse than underfilled and I subsequently drained some).
Alas you have to be a watchful advocate for everything these days!

I've got a 19 GLA45 and noticed the coolant is full (new from dealer) with coolant right up to the cap. This is odd as most vehicles I've owned only have it less than half full to allow for expansion. I'll check manual, but curious what other coolant reservoirs on these look like when serviced. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you're referring to the plastic coolant expansion tank then No, it should not be filled to the top but rather proper level as marked on its side. As you cite it's usually about halfway to allow for expansion and even when the engine is very hot it's not anywhere near the top.
Dealership service often overfills fluids. My last oil change was overfilled as well (which is actually worse than underfilled and I subsequently drained some).
Alas you have to be a watchful advocate for everything these days!
Thanks for the reply. I had it towed to the dealer today thinking I may have a bad sensor or waterpump. I only started looking into it yesterday (60F US ambient) was just running errands and doing a couple speed runs for fun. Got home and noticed the fan stayed on a long time, maybe 5 min, which I thought was unusual for a cool day with plenty of cool down time before shutting off. Expansion tank full to the brim and I can hear what sounds like boiling water down by the radiator. Took it for a short run this morning of 5 miles to warm up (50F ambient) and it did the same thing. Fan shuts off and you can hear boiling from inside one of the front radiators for probably 15 min before it cools down. Definitely not getting proper circulation somewhere and it's repeatable. I've had thermostats go bad on other cars so it is something like that. I'm just not familiar with this vehicle yet. I'll be sure to post up what the solution is.

·
Super Moderator
350 Posts
Sounds like the system is either air bound or the thermostat has gone bad. And it could also be the water pump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, vehicle had the one year service done (due to time on the lot, not mileage) and CPO inspection just before I took delivery. Could be cavitation, bad thermostat, something probably simple. Not good, but probably nothing major and with the short drives I've done working from home likely no long term harm of any kind. Just want it fixed so I can get over the break in period and really do some runs with this thing.

·
Super Moderator
350 Posts
Have you tried bleeding the radiator to see if there are air bubbles? But then probably best to leave as is so the service advisor sees the condition as you have.

As we know water is the universal solvent and was doing its thing the year it sat on the lot despite anti-corrosives, etc in the coolant. Thermostats in particular have been problematic on most vehicles. Thankfully they're relatively inexpensive in both material and labor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, had a great courtesy service by Feldmann in Bloomington, MN (shout out to great dealer) who did a pressure check and the whole 9 yards and everything checks out as good. They said, yes, the reservoir was overfilled but they a lot of times do that just because with Mercedes if the fluid dips just a tiny bit below the line it starts throwing warning lights which is just a hassle for all concerned to schedule a service visit to fill 2 oz of water. Makes sense, and doesn't really hurt anything. Just...looks like something is wrong obviously being completely filled. They use GLAs for most all of their loaner cars due to being great in snow and rock solid dependability. So, just a little paranoia on my part it sounds like. They mentioned even when it's cold out the cooling fans may stay on for 10-12 minutes if the computer tells them to, they just do what they do. I've done modified Mazdaspeeds and even had a Mitsu 3000gt VR4 with twin turbo (and rear wheel steering!) back in the day so I'm familiar with idiosyncratic vehicles, but those probably have half the sensors or less that a modern Mercedes has. So, I'll chill and plan a road trip.
Also, thanks to this forum for teaching me about the AMG menu! Must have skipped that in the manual. How awesome to see not only live temps but what gear you're in when in auto mode. I was missing the gear indicator for sure and you used to have to add a row of "race car" gauges to get that info. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
350 Posts
If the expansion tank is already full where does hot coolant expand to? Pops the cover/hose and spatters into the engine bay (yeah, unlikely, but still...)?

I understand Benz service folks wanting to avoid a false positive but completely full is overkill imo.

·
Super Moderator
1,661 Posts
Overfill seems like a bad idea but my experience is that the level sense is hyper sensitive ... Set at a very high level. I've had to add distilled water to Pam's 45 a few times now even though it appeared to be well above the cool level. It would appear that a bit of evaporation occurs in the (vented?) system.

When you DIY you don't worry about call backs. But in a professional shop you develop a paranoia about customers needing to return.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If the expansion tank is already full where does hot coolant expand to? Pops the cover/hose and spatters into the engine bay (yeah, unlikely, but still...)?

I understand Benz service folks wanting to avoid a false positive but completely full is overkill imo.
Yeah, he said they definitely shouldn't have filled to the top but did say they regularly will fill about an inch over to avoid sensitivity issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts