Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally I am picking up my new GLA this Saturday :)

The dealer is offering a 4 years insurance for the tires and wheels for $1,495 which is roughly half of what I will pay for insurance for the whole vehicle.

The argument is that Extended Mobility tires (run flats) are not repairable and quite expensive (north of $400).

First, is it true they cannot be repaired? I found a report from JD Power stating
Otherwise and also a manual from Goodyear on how to repair their run flats. But others like Continental say they can't be repaired (as well as Mercedes and BMW me and others).

Second, is this insurance really worth the trouble? I would have to buy four tires in four years for it to pay for itself. Are these tires easier to puncture that regular tires?

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
$1495 will buy you 4 new wheels and 4 new tires at your own discretion...

It's the silliest insurance I have ever heard of. I laughed out loud when they offered me this on both my GLA's.

Reactions: gurneyeagle

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Boris!

I agree it is ridiculous but since I am not that familiar with run flats, I wasn't sure if although when it sounded expensive that in the end it was worth it.

I am in Mexico City on business and across the street from my office there is a MB dealership, so I asked them if in Mexico they repaired the run flats and incredibly enough they say that run flats can be repaired anywhere where traditional tires are repaired.

Also talked to the Hertz guys, they rent BMWs with run flats, and they also repair the tires...

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I don't mean to sound condescending to those who've posted, but there seem to be a lot of threads about spares, flats etc.

How many times do all of you get flat tires??? I've had TWO flat tires in over 20 years of driving... Why so much concern? Am I just lucky?

·
Registered
5 Posts
What the dealer has told me and what personal friends have explained, is that flats are more common with the 19" and 20" wheels due to the low profile. They blow out easier on potholes than average tires. The dealer felt if you live in the Northeast and choose the larger rims, go with the tire insurance.
I went with the 18" and no insurance. If I lived in the South I would have choosen the 19" wheels with no insurance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I ended up buying insurance for my tires after all but bought it at Discount Tire instead of the dealership; $168 for all for Continental Run Flats good until they are at 3/32.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What the dealer has told me and what personal friends have explained, is that flats are more common with the 19" and 20" wheels due to the low profile. They blow out easier on potholes than average tires. The dealer felt if you live in the Northeast and choose the larger rims, go with the tire insurance.
I went with the 18" and no insurance. If I lived in the South I would have choosen the 19" wheels with no insurance.
I don't like that logic simply because if you're using your 19" summers in the winter then you deserve cracked rims... The pothole punctures are more likely in the colder months because the rubber becomes rigid and pinches easier, then say a stickier winter tire which will flex. Same goes for 19" in the summer, warm weather keeps the rubber flexible...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I care more about the wheels than the rubber. Living in chicago rubber gets shredded from alley's, construction, and more. Eventually you get a nail or two in the tires. In my case I would only switch to Winters or Summers in this car if performance really mattered. For me its a comfort transit ride in the city that the wife and rugrat can use too. Last year the pot holes were the worst I've seen (over 20 years). My g37's tires and wheels went through repairs and more. The g37 is owned and the GLA is leased. Don't want to worry or deal with the wheels or tires period. Its a peace of mind to me and depends on where you live. If I lived in florida it would be a waste of money. 3 Chicago winters can be a 1500 or more cost per year and regular insurance companies are a pain. Nothing like having snow covering a 5" deep pot hole that the lucky ******* in front of you happened to miss. My dealer gave me a great deal on the gla and I also considered this part of it.

Also believe these are not recommended to be repaired and it may be true. The other tire manufacturers of run-flats design the tires for function (optimal run flat) and the auto manufacturers work with the the tire manufacturers for a custom oem tire. Supposedly from what I've read and heard its so that these tires ride better than what you would buy from a tire rack as an alternative. I could be wrong though. **** this internet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
does the GLA only come with run flats?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think that might vary to some extent. At least in some cases with some dealers you can ask to swap out the run flats it will come with for a set you'd prefer more
Hmmm. Here in sunny southern California (72ºF right now!), the need for even all-weather tires, let alone run flats is very low. It's bad enough that with all-wheel drive you have to replace ALL 4 tires when only one cannot be repaired.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Personally, I think that it is worth it. I live in the NE and I must say, the pot holes (craters if you will) here are notorious for the following - rim crack, bent rim, bubble on side wall, instant tire puncture and so on.
I have had all of this happen to myself and wife's cars over the years.
Given that my previous car was a Mazda, tires are extremely affordable.
The GLA 250 on the other hand is very steep for both the tire and rim (AMG in my case).
The cheapest replacement tire that I found scouring the net was around $450 and $1300 for a single AMG rim.
If you were to hit a pot hole just right (which is not unusual around here) there goes $2k in blink of an eye.
So for me personally, the rim/tire insurance is a MUST.
This only added an additional $34 to my payments, which $34 monthly makes a whole lot more sense than forking over $2k in one swoop.
Just my 0.02
All in all, do what ever you feel most comfortable with.
Good luck ......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Personally, I think that it is worth it. I live in the NE and I must say, the pot holes (craters if you will) here are notorious for the following - rim crack, bent rim, bubble on side wall, instant tire puncture and so on.
The GLA 250 on the other hand is very steep for both the tire and rim (AMG in my case).
The cheapest replacement tire that I found scouring the net was around $450 and $1300 for a single AMG rim.
If you were to hit a pot hole just right (which is not unusual around here) there goes $2k in blink of an eye.
This only added an additional $34 to my payments, which $34 monthly makes a whole lot more sense than forking over $2k in one swoop.
Just my 0.02
Good luck ......
where are in NE are you? I'm from Boston. Last winter was terrible.. i blew 3 tires. I agree though, if you live around here.. the roads are absolutely horrible so it's worth it. for me however, it was hard to justify the cost right now.. but i'll probably end up going for it on my next lease.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just my 0.02
Good luck ......
where are in NE are you? I'm from Boston. Last winter was terrible.. i blew 3 tires. I agree though, if you live around here.. the roads are absolutely horrible so it's worth it. for me however, it was hard to justify the cost right now.. but i'll probably end up going for it on my next lease.
I also live in the Boston area. Yes, indeed last winter was horrendous. Given that it is impossible to predict our NE winters, I have chosen to be on the safe side and opt for the tire package (and a few others).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Most manufacturer's Run-flat tires can be repaired IF they have NOT been driven very far with low air pressure.

Of course, if the sidewall of the tire has a puncture then the tire cannot be repaired just like any other type of tire can't be repaired then, either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also live in the Boston area. Can someone explain to me what the tire insurance really covers? I got it on my car not knowing what it was covering haha but living in Boston for 21 years and knowing how expensive the tires are on top of the crap roads it was worth it already.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts