Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to decide between Continental run flats and Bridgestone Drive Guard run flat tires for my 15 GLA250 4matic . Has anyone have experience with these tires? Or any other tires that you would recommend?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the Bridgestone DriveGuard RFT’s on my 2015 GLA250 4M. Given the size, they weren’t cheap either. I never liked the OEM Continentals as they were too “hard” and didn’t seem to have a lot of grip.
The Bridgestone’s run at a higher pressure (around 52psi), so if you do go with them, be sure the TPMS sensors are replaced or reprogramed.

As for ride, they are a bit smoother and a lot quieter, but you’re still aware you’re driving an all-wheel drive car with stiff wall run flats. Some esoterically call that “road feel” – I went from a pickup to my GLA so I don’t mind it. They handle well, and the only quirk I’ve noticed is during hard braking, because of the stiff sidewalls, they tend to give off a slight vibration similar to brake shudder. They are good in the rain, and on the highway. I have yet to snow test them.

If you’re going from a standard tire to the RFT’s, you may not like any of them. My first choice would have been Yokohama, but they were even more pricey. I have to visit a lot of construction sites, so for me the sacrifice in ride is well outweighed by the fact I can drive off the site and right to the tire shop if I pick up a nail.

·
Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
FWIW ... When we tested a road hazard and lost a PS4 many miles from home we took what we could for temporary service (two to keep the axle balanced). We converted back to PS4 upon returning home but the near to thousand miles with the Goodyear Excellence run flats did not seem to be a compromise to everyday driving (even with non matching PS4 tires on the front axle).

Note: Even though the size would mathematically represent the same tire height as the Michelins (circumference) that simply was not the case!!!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts