Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
412 Posts
Hi Caroline and Welcome to the forum.

Rial were German design/manufacture until a few years ago when they moved for production value reasons, as many do. They meet OEM standards (Audi being one with which I'm familiar). I used my Rial rims in New England, one inch smaller diameter, on three successive Audi's as my Winter rims with dedicated Michelin Winter tires. I had to replace one rim which got bent in an extremely deep pothole. Cars were lined up on the shoulder after suffering a similar fate but I was actually able to drive until soon thereafter replaced. Any rim would have bent in that situation so I was very glad it was my aftermarket Rial and not my OEM.

Audi Junkie provides a valued wealth of information. Also seek out winter-seasoned friends and associates as local knowledge is often of more use than the various online ratings. For instance I find Pirelli excellent as far as performance but they have always worn out most quickly for me. I also find Michelin to be superb, and also Continental and Dunlop. I've had issues with Bridgestone. But in fairness, just as vehicle manufacturers, tire brands improve and degrade in a cyclic manner. A brand that wasn't up to par in the past may be excellent now and vice versa. So keep an open mind and again seek out locals in the know.

All the best with your choice and don't stress as tires will always need replacement at some point and then you'll have your own experience for the next round. ;)

btw: you may want to check out this local with a very nice 18" set for sale: Snow Wheels / Tires for AMG45

Thank you so much! Are the Rial OEM wheel rims? If not, you're saying they will work with the GLA? I cannot believe that they are so inexpensive! I am going from run flats to all seasons - will that matter with the tire pressure mounting sensors, valves or caps? I cannot thank you enough!

To be sure I understand your advice: You're saying it's worth the upfront cost to switch from 19-18 -- it looks like it will cost $409.20 for the rims plus tax. Any other hidden costs of switching? In terms of choosing a place to change the wheel rims and install the tires, do you recommend using one of Tire Rack's authorized service centers? I'd rather not go to the dealership b/c they won't like putting non-Mercedes approved tires on. They already told me that basically.

Then, I buy 18" tires -- and you gave a ton of great suggestions. Would any of them rise to the top of your picks if I need to drive up a fairly steep driveway in ice/snow (the GLA handled it fine with the 19" wheels and Continental run flats)?

Thanks!
Caroline

·
Registered
90 Posts
With tires, the thing to know is that all brands make both good models and bad models. Some of the ancient Bridgestones, RE-92, are still for sale for double top dollar pricing and are horrible. Same for Michelin, usually oem models, Conti...all of them. BUT they make cutting edge models too, usually newer is better.

With wheels, many "aftermarket" brands actually make OEM wheels too. Ronal, Borbet and Rial, plusa few super-premium brands. Wheels can only be 2 of these three things... Light, Cheap or Strong. 2 of 3, pick them! My Voxx are cheap and light. The clear finish is crap compared to oe painted. With the Rial, coming from an EU country, they should be very good, with TUV certification. I was tempted to buy a set, but dusted off my Voxx. I like the gunmetal color....very tempting, for a Junkie.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So...
235/50-18 is stock 97-101 load
235/55-18 is 3% taller 100-104 load (for OE 18"s at 7.5'" inch wide) Should fit fine.
245/50-18 is 1.5% taller / bigger / bulkier, the load rating tells you how well it carries load, 104XL in this case. imo requires a 8"+ wheel, but tire mfg publish a recommended width rim, which tends to be very generous. I think 245 is more correct on wider wheels. Fit is perfect on my car. It fills the wheels wells nicely on this high-riding vehicle. I wouldn't say no on stock wheels, but the 235/55-17 is a very good option if you just want more height/better ride.

A higher load tire will ride better, wear better and be more resistant to bubbles / protecting suspension and wheels. It's a very good way to compare the sizes, and some carry the XL load rating. Always go for the higher load rating when there's a choice, especially with stock sizes.

235/45-19 is stock 95-99 load(!)
235/50-19 is 3.4% taller, fit is a ? it may rub on hard bumps, but I doubt it.
245/45-19 is 1.5% taller, a beefier tire in general 102XL load

Those Nexen 245/45-19 are a steal. An upgrade in quality and in quantity over stock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hello,
I have a 2018, GLA250. I am wanting a more comfortable ride. Has anyone changed the size of the tires or changef the suspension for a smoother ride. Thanks!
Hello,
I have a 2018, GLA250. I am wanting a more comfortable ride. Has anyone changed the size of the tires or changef the suspension for a smoother ride. Thanks!
[/QUOTE

My 2018 GLA250 lease is up at the beginning of November. I would like to buy the car. The buyout is $24,000, with 25,000 miles in mint condition. My concern, I can't try new tires under the lease. If I knew the tires would significantly change the ride, I would buy the car in a heartbeat. Appreciate your feedback,
would it be worth buying the car and changing the tires? If it does not improve the ride, sell it?
Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
on my car it came with and 235/40/20 performance summer tires, continental sport contact 5.
For use in winter i needed all seasons as i live in california where there are different climates. So i used 235/50/18 and continental dws06, and they were tolerable i guess, not quieter and kind of sketchy on ice.
Next i researched and stumbled onto better all seasons in the form of 3psmf, three peak mountain snowflake symbol used to denote all seasons that excel in winter, not as good as full winters but way better than standard all seasons. Nokian,cooper,toyo,pirelli etc all seem to have these now. I ended up with goodyear assurance weather ready , more of a "touring" tire touted more for quiet than ripping around corners. They definitely stick way better on ice and are a bit better with noise and expansion bumps on the freeway. In the end though i put the 20s back on and it's not substantially different re noise, but they do make the car handle noticeably better. So i wouldn't expect night and day change in noise /comfort but there are definitely ways to make the car more capable

21 - 30 of 30 Posts