Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2018, GLA250. I am wanting a more comfortable ride. Has anyone changed the size of the tires or changef the suspension for a smoother ride. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
412 Posts
Standard non-runflat tires will be more comfortable. I also find 18” rims to be the sweet spot. Michelin tires have always been the most comfortable for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Standard non-runflat tires will be more comfortable. I also find 18” rims to be the sweet spot. Michelin tires have always been the most comfortable for me.
Thanks for the feedback.
I noticed on Youtube that replacing run flat tires for BMW's is almost a must for a better ride. I have not seen anything regarding Mercedes. My lease is up in two months. I would like to buy the car. Yet, it would be expensive to change out the tires for two months to see if the car rode better. Did you notice a significant difference with your tire change?

·
Super Moderator
412 Posts
Runflats are great from a stranded-security perspective, however given their much more robust internal structure they will always be more rigid and therefore less comfortable than non-runflat. There's always a compromise in design.

Going with smaller rims (e.g. 20/19" -> 18") affords a taller more shock absorbing tire sidewall which also aides in comfort, as well as some pothole resistance.

Keep in mind that the GLA is a CUV/SUV and as such will never be as comfortable as a sedan. SUV suspension is set up for increased passenger and cargo loading and also to help counter higher center of balance/gravity body roll.

My wife and I actually find the OEM 18" A/S runflat Conti's relatively comfortable, so of course a very subjective matter (better than the many Jeeps I've owned with standard tires). We intentionally took a long test drive in Winter over uneven pavement backroads and were fine with the GLA's handling and [again relative] ride comfort.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Runflats are great from a stranded-security perspective, however given their much more robust internal structure they will always be more rigid and therefore less comfortable than non-runflat. There's always a compromise in design.

Going with smaller rims (e.g. 20/19" -> 18") affords a taller more shock absorbing tire sidewall which also aides in comfort, as well as some pothole resistance.

Keep in mind that the GLA is a CUV/SUV and as such will never be as comfortable as a sedan. SUV suspension is set up for increased passenger and cargo loading and also to help counter higher center of balance/gravity body roll.

My wife and I actually find the OEM 18" A/S runflat Conti's relatively comfortable, so of course a very subjective matter (better than the many Jeeps I've owned with standard tires). We intentionally took a long test drive in Winter over uneven pavement backroads and were fine with the GLA's handling and [again relative] ride comfort.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In search of a better ride on my rough roads, I went with a full size bigger 245/50-18, but on 8" wide wheels. I'm not sure that 245 is an option for OEM 7.5" wide wheels. 235/55-18 is another taller size over the OEM 235/50-18, which are a little short for me on this car. Modified tire size is not for everyone. I just did it with fantastic results. Nokian Zline SUV summers are the quietest of the quiet.

For "winter" I went with 17" Pirelli P7 for their smoothness and quiet. The GLA doesn't have great noise isolation.
P7 A/S are on closeout for the new upcoming model, so the 235/55-17 I got were inexpensive. The P7 is a nod to the GLA needing good tires, mine came with new Maxxis Bravo, they were terrible.

Let's take a quick look at 235/50-18...

Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 is state of the art, $587

The Zline is a lil cheaper if you don't see any snow, although technically all-season. More of a performance tire than the eNTYRE, which were like butter on my Audi Avant.

These AO (Audi OE) Pirellis are a steal for $419, but summer-only. I considered these, but got the 245s instead...

These Goodyears come down to $326 if you do rebates, yup. Made in Germany is no joke. Summer-only.

The Coopers are cushy and good in rain, not great in snow....high quality A/S tires https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Cooper&tireModel=CS5+Ultra+Touring&partnum=35WR8CS5UT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

A lot of people would be happy with these Kumhos.... https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Majesty+9+Solus+TA91&partnum=35WR8TA91XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

General is owned by Conti. If you do see snow, these are the ones to have... https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+(H-+or+V-Speed+Rated)&partnum=35HR8AMRT43&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In search of a better ride on my rough roads, I went with a full size bigger 245/50-18, but on 8" wide wheels. I'm not sure that 245 is an option for OEM 7.5" wide wheels. 235/55-18 is another taller size over the OEM 235/50-18, which are a little short for me on this car. Modified tire size is not for everyone. I just did it with fantastic results. Nokian Zline SUV summers are the quietest of the quiet.
View attachment 26081

For "winter" I went with 17" Pirelli P7 for their smoothness and quiet. The GLA doesn't have great noise isolation.
P7 A/S are on closeout for the new upcoming model, so the 235/55-17 I got were inexpensive. The P7 is a nod to the GLA needing good tires, mine came with new Maxxis Bravo, they were terrible.

Let's take a quick look at 235/50-18...

Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 is state of the art, $587

The Zline is a lil cheaper if you don't see any snow, although technically all-season. More of a performance tire than the eNTYRE, which were like butter on my Audi Avant.

These AO (Audi OE) Pirellis are a steal for $419, but summer-only. I considered these, but got the 245s instead...

These Goodyears come down to $326 if you do rebates, yup. Made in Germany is no joke. Summer-only.

The Coopers are cushy and good in rain, not great in snow....high quality A/S tires https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Cooper&tireModel=CS5+Ultra+Touring&partnum=35WR8CS5UT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

A lot of people would be happy with these Kumhos.... https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Majesty+9+Solus+TA91&partnum=35WR8TA91XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

General is owned by Conti. If you do see snow, these are the ones to have... https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+(H-+or+V-Speed+Rated)&partnum=35HR8AMRT43&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Thanks for the wealth of information!

·
Registered
90 Posts
235/55-18 Pirelli $457 are a steal, other listings well over $600

If I had to go back to the OE 7.5 inch wide wheels, I would shoot for 235/55-18, they will fit fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This thread couldn’t come at a better time. Audi Junkie, you are a wealth of helpful info, thank you.

I have 19” wheels on a 2015 GLA250 4Matic that I purchased used a year ago. I need to replace all 4 tires. Like Cas, I’m looking for a more comfortable ride. I feel every bump, dip, and forget about potholes! I live in New England. I have a few questions:

1. If I switch from run flats to all season touring tires for 19” wheels, is there a noticeable improvement in comfort/shock absorption? I’m looking at the Goodyear Assurance Maxlife. Any better ones out there folks would recommend?

2. I’m thinking about changing the wheels from 19 to 18” solely for the ride. Any suggestions on where to look for new or used wheel rims? And is it absolutely essential to buy OEM wheels? Dumb question but where it says that the valves, caps & tire pressure sensors are not included, are those items that a tire installation place would have in stock or would I need to purchase them as well?

3. Audi, you mentioned going with a wider tire. Does that help with comfort? I currently have 235/45R19. If I end up sticking with 19, what tire size would you recommend looking for to maximize a smoother ride?

changing from 19 to 18 is costly. If anyone has any ideas for how to do it more economically, I’m all ears!

thanks!
Caroline

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think the extra effort will be worth it. Like I said, my car went from cheap 18" car lot tires to bigger premium tires, it transformed the car. For my winter set, I went down to 17" Pirelli P7 that I haven't installed yet.

I mentioned going a full size bigger to 245 width. See, wider tread also means a taller profile, as it's still a 50-series, simply the sidewall height is 50% of the width, so you gain a little height with the width. That's why people use a specific calculator...

TireRack has some sweet 18" Rial AMG copy wheels for $102 8.5" wide....and you get free mounting and balancing if you buy tires at the same time. The oem 18" are a narrow 7.5" so it's not ideal to use the 245 width. I'll look up the 19" sizes for you really quick, but lets look at the 18" options...

Here's those wheels, made in Poland is good.
It's all about the quality of the finish. Your TPMS sensors transfer over and automatically reset.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You won't regret switching to 18's. You can keep your 19's for summer on bald tires, or store/sell them.

rial.PNG

245/50-18 Kumho $520/$525 after rebate both Kumho have the rare AA Wet rating:
I would try the Majesty https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Majesty+9+Solus+TA91&partnum=45WR8TA91XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Pirelli Scorpions 235/55-18 $480 (1) https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Verde+All+Season+Plus&partnum=355VR8SVASPXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

235/55-18 is a bit taller than 245/50-18, but should not rub or anything. My 245/50 do not. 2% taller is considered no problem, like the difference between new tread and bald. 3% is another thing, but Discount Tire and iirc Tire Rack say it's ok.

If you could run 235/50-19 or 245/45-19, ride would be VASTLY improved on your OE 19" wheels!

19" Pirellis $485, 235/50-19 somewhat taller than stock.... 3% https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-Pirelli-Scorpion-Verde-All-Season-235-50R19-99H-A-S-Performance-Tires/353196663321

245/45-19 1.3% taller Pirelli P7 A/S same as mine, $688 https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-Pirelli-Cinturato-P7-A-S-Plus-98V-Tires-2454519-245-45-19-24545R19/164264547886

Generals if you drive in snow.... $675 https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+(H-+or+V-Speed+Rated)&partnum=445VR9AMRT43XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Either or all of these would do the trick on 19" OE wheels

Kumho again... https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Majesty+9+Solus+TA91&partnum=445WR9TA91XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

These new BFGs kick but! https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+COMP-2+A/S&partnum=445WR9GFC2AS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Here's your Goodyears...

and the staff tests https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=236

"Goodyear Assurance MaxLife (Standard Touring All-Season 225/50R17 94V)
  • What We Liked: It's reasonably comfortable and composed in real-world driving.
  • What We'd Improve: We would like some added steering feel and additional wet and winter grip.
  • Conclusion: Doesn't stand out in this crowd."
If they came on my car I'd try to use them, but there are better options, imo.

I like these, for instance, a proper SUV tire.... https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Crugen+HP71&partnum=345HR9HP71&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Mercedes-Benz&autoYear=2018&autoModel=GLA250 4MATIC&autoModClar=

Leave it at that. Take a look at those wheels, $102 is as cheap as wheels get. Let me know.
I'm on 245/50-18 here....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you so much! Are the Rial OEM wheel rims? If not, you're saying they will work with the GLA? I cannot believe that they are so inexpensive! I am going from run flats to all seasons - will that matter with the tire pressure mounting sensors, valves or caps? I cannot thank you enough!

To be sure I understand your advice: You're saying it's worth the upfront cost to switch from 19-18 -- it looks like it will cost $409.20 for the rims plus tax. Any other hidden costs of switching? In terms of choosing a place to change the wheel rims and install the tires, do you recommend using one of Tire Rack's authorized service centers? I'd rather not go to the dealership b/c they won't like putting non-Mercedes approved tires on. They already told me that basically.

Then, I buy 18" tires -- and you gave a ton of great suggestions. Would any of them rise to the top of your picks if I need to drive up a fairly steep driveway in ice/snow (the GLA handled it fine with the 19" wheels and Continental run flats)?

Thanks!
Caroline

·
Registered
90 Posts
I believe that 18" is ideal for any kind of rough road driving. Let's say, any roads that are less than perfect. TBH, the GLA rides a little harsh, but I love mine. The tire/wheel combo as it appears on my car is ideal, imo. My Audi Avant was a touch smoother and quieter, but a 2012, getting old.

Anyway. Is it possible make up the $400 for new wheel in cost savings of 18 vs 19 tires alone, no. But you do save a few dollars and have much more/better choices, especially in stock 235/50-18. Maybe save $100/set.

While I am sure that stock 235/50-18 will improve your ride, those Rial are 8.5 wide and will be more "correct" with a wider tire, like 245/50-18. Stock 7.5 inch x 18 are better off with the 235 / 50 or taller 55 imo.

You can order from TR and have them "Road Force" mounted for free, but w/o your TPMS sensors, or buy new ones (ducks for cover) They will install them and ship right to a local shop who won't hassle you over oddball sizes or whatever. Show them the pic of my car (wink)

I'll post again in a moment....

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't mind helping people with tires. It's the one thing people do to customize their cars. Results vary wildly. I tell my F&F that a good tire can have double the grip of a crappy tire in bad conditions, like wet/cold.

After living / working in the State Park system in PA, I have a lot of experience with all-season tires (now "all-weather" tires) when my car buddies were all playing race car performance tires. Also coming up on owning 50 cars in my life, half of them Audis, yup.

Yesterday I mentioned 245/45-19 where you can just pay the piper $675 and solve all of your problems. However you are willing to pay at least $850 to get a new 18" set? Ok, I am down with that. If you keep your car long enough to buy another set of tires, you will be almost break-even verses buying another set of expensive 19's. So, being a bit of a meiser, I support either decision. If you bend or curb an OE wheel, you will be really sore. I have friend in the city who have multiple welds in each wheel and blown sidewalls out the butt. I tell them that small wheels are stronger, but they don't listen, nor to they upsize tires, because they only need one at a time....one every year!

$515 is a slam dunk for P7 all-seasons....

Here's the staff test...they ride superb and are great in snow...

My wife has a set of these Nexen Winguard Sport 2, they are smoking hot for "all-weather", a speed rated sport snow you can use all year, and then use as all-seasons after the tread is worn down, snows that you don't have to throw out halfway. The most quiet of those too... They are a steal and compete with any all-weather tire for peanuts...$450

Maybe use your 19"s in summer (ducks again)

Kumho Wintercraft is similar all-weather, maybe even sportier, excellent quality just like the Nexen, my mother in law has a set. Good price but not as good as Nexen... $580 4 New Kumho Wintercraft Wp72 - P245/50r18 Tires 2455018 245 50 18 | eBay

$545 for Cooper CS5 Ultra, very nice, cushy etc. Wear is just ok. Wife has them for "summer". Great in rain/wet....that's what she likes.

Eagle Sport, good but not worth extra $$$ $656 Comfortable but sportier than the Cooper. 4 Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season 245/50R18 100V SL Performance 50K Mi M+S Tires | eBay

At TR, the Kumho has a good AA wet rating. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Majesty+9+Solus+TA91&partnum=45WR8TA91XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

It's up to you if you want to put the set together yourself. A shop will charge you to install the TPMS anyway. I think if you want 245/50-18 you should order from EBay.

OOPS! TR has some rebates with the Eagle Sport, down to $525 which is a nice tire for the money. Combine it with the wheel order, boom. I know there's a lot of choices, but imo it's these Eagle or the Pirelli P7 from EBay. P7 will be the best in snow of the normal all-seasons. You might like the all-weather tires, especially if you don't drive a lot of miles a year you can have them for a good while.

I wouldn't snooze on ordering, especially the wheels... this is the busy season for tire shopping. Lots of models go out of stock, in-stock ones that are are left more expensive.

Nexen WinGuard Sport 2 test and review of the winter tyre | AllTyreTests.com

1 - 20 of 30 Posts