Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as you know our gla comes with the tirefit repair kit along with the sealant. my question is if i have a slow leak, can i use the tirefit kit as a pump without the sealant? if not, i'm thinking getting one of those portable ones as most of the time it's a slow leak rather than a full puncture. this will allow me to get to a tire shop most of the time. thanks.

·
Super Moderator
412 Posts
I presume it's just a small 12V air pump that comes with many cars that don't have a spare tire? No different than a pump you'd get with an aftermarket repair kit? If so you should be able to use it for a slow leak.

But actually I didn't know it came with a repair kit as I've got runflat tires so didn't think to look for it. I do know I don't have a collapsible basket tho' as my audio system takes up that space. ;-)

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Super Moderator
412 Posts
Yes, all these tire repair sealants (aka 'goop') are pretty much the same. They work fairly well but as Wayne cites make a mess of the tire and some can't be repaired thereafter as a result, or at the least require a thorough internal cleaning. They can also wreak havoc with stem-internal tire pressure sensors, if so equipped.
But if you have standard (non-runflat) tires and no space for a spare then sealant and a pump is all that's left. Well, that and a AAA membership [my now preferred method]. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts