Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2017 GLA250 non-4Matic to my 10K complimentary service; since I had already performed my own Service A I just requested for tire rotation and wheel balancing .... Guess WHAT??? They wouldn't do it !!!

Their explanation was that due to "staggered" tire configuration it is NOT recommended to do tire rotation. This is the biggest HOGWASH I have ever heard. Then the oxymoron service advisor stated that front wheel drive GLA AMG43 have the "staggered" tires and even with FWD it is not recommended to do tire rotation. I calmly explained that GLA AMG43 are NOT fwd bud AWD!

After much cajoling I got my tires rotated but not balanced. It seemed that Mercedes dealers are not well versed with the MFA platform series cars. Wait until 2018 when they get the A class which are all fwd. The rft's are expensive and tire rotation & balancing is a must at least every 10K miles or less.

PS: Then of course once they rotated my tires the TPMS came on... why? Because they failed to inflate the front tires to 33 psig which was the previous rear tires at 29 psig. It is just wonderful how knowledgeable are the "certified" Mercedes technicians at dealerships !!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Interesting commentary on the dealership service dept. On the GLA250 and the GLA45 AMG, the tires front and rear are the same size and the wheels (alloys) have the same offset etc. so yes you can "rotate" the tires front to rear (not the old way of X pattern rotation). Since the AWD system on both the GLA250 and GLA45 is front drive biased and thus the front tires will wear faster (including outer edge scuffing from turning) rotating front to rear is recommended. From the GLA owners manual>>>

Rotate front and rear wheels only if the wheels and tires are of the same dimensions.

There are MB cars that have different tire sizes (and wheel configuration) and uni-directional from front to rear and thus those can not be rotated.

·
Registered
880 Posts
my service adviser will do it when i ask. Says they dont advertise it because everyone would ask for free rotations every 1000 miles

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no free tire rotation...

my service adviser will do it when i ask. Says they dont advertise it because everyone would ask for free rotations every 1000 miles
Free tire rotation??? I was charged $39.99 for a lousy tire rotation. Outside tire places, i.e. Gator Tire, Tire Plus, etc ... will do rotation and dynamic 4 wheel balancing for $40 or $67 for lifetime unlimited rotation and balancing !!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Took my 2017 GLA250 non-4Matic to my 10K complimentary service; since I had already performed my own Service A I just requested for tire rotation and wheel balancing .... Guess WHAT??? They wouldn't do it !!!

Their explanation was that due to "staggered" tire configuration it is NOT recommended to do tire rotation. This is the biggest HOGWASH I have ever heard. Then the oxymoron service advisor stated that front wheel drive GLA AMG43 have the "staggered" tires and even with FWD it is not recommended to do tire rotation. I calmly explained that GLA AMG43 are NOT fwd bud AWD!

After much cajoling I got my tires rotated but not balanced. It seemed that Mercedes dealers are not well versed with the MFA platform series cars. Wait until 2018 when they get the A class which are all fwd. The rft's are expensive and tire rotation & balancing is a must at least every 10K miles or less.

PS: Then of course once they rotated my tires the TPMS came on... why? Because they failed to inflate the front tires to 33 psig which was the previous rear tires at 29 psig. It is just wonderful how knowledgeable are the "certified" Mercedes technicians at dealerships !!!

My thoughts exactly on the "certified" Mechanics, those who only have B,C,D service qualifications bunch of hogwash. " Master mechanics" same crap. There are those who are vested in their trade and who will give their shirt off their back , and those who just read a screen to tell them something is wrong. As a consumer, just like going to see a doctor, one should be able to see their credentials posted and have "Trust" in their dealership/skills to be able to fix a otherwise seen high end luxury automobile. MB slogan of " The best or nothing" needs to change and I think most who've owned MB might argue the same points just as you have Hookah.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was told MB place wore tires in the front beside placing them in the rear. you can lose control of vehicle more dangerous rear tires blowout

·
600 Posts
I was told MB place wore tires in the front beside placing them in the rear. you can lose control of vehicle more dangerous rear tires blowout

What? I would rather have a blowout on a rear tire than a front tire. For control yes the best on the rear.

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
A blow out in the rear can spin the car no matter how you try to correct. A blow out on the front can be controlled with the steering wheel. The best tires always go on the rear.

Unfortunately, as the saying goes ... the fronts flick (nails laying flat on the road offering no risk) and the rears pick (up those nails that are no longer laying flat).

·
Registered
33 Posts
My dealer strongly recommended tire rotation and balance at my 2-year (~10,000 mi) service (I don't drive to work so I put fewer miles on the car). They charged me though, it wasn't free. Which, I was ok with since you do need to rotate your tires. I think the whole bill for the tires was around $98.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You could have gotten FREE tire rotations (and FREE flat repairs, IF REPAIRABLE. And they dismount the tire and actually PATCH the hole not just plug it.) at America's Tires or its sister locations (Discount Tires). You can walk in (takes longer, so I leave my car there and go home) OR you can call and make an appointment which is way better and shorter.

Some of the other national tire chains MIGHT do the rotations free (just need to call and find out).

Over the years, I have bought many, many, many new tires from America's Tires and very happy with them. Prices are very reasonable and they do price matching to legit stores. Also military discounts.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tires

I am buying a cpo used 2015 GLA amg and the fronts are new but rear 50% life left. How am I meant to best rotate in that situation or do I just keep replacing two at a time

·
600 Posts
I am buying a cpo used 2015 GLA amg and the fronts are new but rear 50% life left. How am I meant to best rotate in that situation or do I just keep replacing two at a time
You do not state what model you have and where you are located. This help in answering your question. In the upper right corner of the screen click on USER CP and update your profile.

A 250 front wheel drive can wear tires much faster then the rear. Possible that is the reason the front are new and rear is 50%.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mercedes say's you "can" rotate your tires if they are the same size wheels front and back. They then recommend you rotate them every 3-6,000 miles if the tire manufactures warranty booklet is not available but do not change the tire rotation. (2018 GLA owners manual)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts