Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running a GLA45 lowered on 20s through difficult/rough surfaces?

I'm looking at lowering with H&R springs (not slamming, just 30mm orso). But, I really don't want to be at the tire shop daily. If I'm smart,I'll run on 18s in the winter and save the 20s for summer. But living inBoston, the potholes don't get fixed 'till July, if they get fixed at all.

I know stock will be the most trouble-free, but I really like thestance an inch lower.

Anyone with some miles on their lowered ride that would be willing to sharetheir experience? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
71 Posts
If roads are really bad 18's will be a good way to go, 20's don't give you much to play with.

I just try to swerve around pot holes as much as I can and know my routes well so all the imperfects in the road are expected

·
Registered
816 Posts
Your lowering (30mm/1.20") of the GLA45 which is lowered ~1.8" over standard GLA250 to start with and really does sorta 'slam' the GLA45 . Of course the 20" will give you a bit more harsh/firm ride and are definitely NOT pothole friendly. I would suggest the 19" wheels with your lowering project. The overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo is the same regardless if 19" or 20" it is just with the latter size you loose sidewall.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If your gonna drop your GLA you might as well throw airbag suspension in so you can control the ride height depending on the terrain. It will also give you a better ride. Not sure if airbags are available yet.

Peace

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't step down to a 19" wheel rather than a 18" wheel? Even on 20's, the GLA still has quite a bit taller sidewall than many vehicles on 20" wheels. On 19's, you could be riding on a 40 or 45-series sidewall, which can take a lot of pummeling. I've ridden on 25-series, 30-series and up. In my experience, as soon as you are below a size 35 treadwall, you are asking for issues and stress.

If you want to keep a 20" wheel on your car, you could always go aftermarket, and choose a 20" wheel with a higher offset to reduce risk of rubbing as well.

Reactions: UnknownAMG

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't see why you couldn't step down to a 19" wheel rather than a 18" wheel? Even on 20's, the GLA still has quite a bit taller sidewall than many vehicles on 20" wheels. On 19's, you could be riding on a 40 or 45-series sidewall, which can take a lot of pummeling. I've ridden on 25-series, 30-series and up. In my experience, as soon as you are below a size 35 treadwall, you are asking for issues and stress.

If you want to keep a 20" wheel on your car, you could always go aftermarket, and choose a 20" wheel with a higher offset to reduce risk of rubbing as well.
that's what i was thinking about the 20's, it's enough that if you avoid obviously bad holes and bumps... you'll be fine. There's enough of a divide from the ground to the lip

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm just thinking 18's with more meat on the tires so you'll get a little better ride comfort. The 20's will fit just fine, but you'll have some rubber band tires going on. And of course pots holes will be your worse enemies, especially if you got some expensive rims on.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I'm just thinking 18's with more meat on the tires so you'll get a little better ride comfort. The 20's will fit just fine, but you'll have some rubber band tires going on. And of course pots holes will be your worse enemies, especially if you got some expensive rims on.
Oh I agree, more sidewall is 'safer,' however, it's a shame to have ugly little 18's on this car, ESPECIALLY on a lowered GLA45. Just my taste though...

I went to aftermarket 19's as I just did not find the factory 18's attractive. They look the wheels on the Honda CRV IMO

Maybe my perspective is just overly 'new school...' :|

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have 18s on my car for winter and it doesn't look as sharp as the 20s but for day to day use it's an improvement in ride quality. Otoh the car doesn't feel as connected to the road at most all speeds. 19s would probably be better unless in Alaska.Those stock wheels on the amg are really expensive to replace, like 12 or 1300 $ each so probably best for good roads/weekend use etc. Airbags would be kind of cool with the adjustability.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
That's what I'm thinking I'll do. Have 19's for the winters and 20's for the summers. With bags so I have full control of ride height. Perfect setup :)
I would LOVE to see a GLA45 on bags with 20x10's with super-aggressive offset on the rears.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I am actually thinking of "downgrading" from my current 20" to 19" or maybe even 18"!!

The ride is quite hard and maybe I am getting old. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.