Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

301 - 317 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
FWIW, this thread started in May 2015 when the GLA was relatively new to all of us. Our members generally discovered and shared not-so-obvious features.

Second, for many or all of us, there is a less detailed printed manual and a more detailed digital version on our GLA's information console. The latter is not exactly a "page turner."

This very popular thread is more for sharing discoveries, even if covered in the manuals, not so much for asking "how do you," which appropriately generates a large amount of discussion in other forum threads.

·
Read Only
74 Posts
Just keep in mind that you may void your GLA's car insurance by turning off ESP and driving on a public road. If you have a crash or roll-over, insurance investigators are known to connect up a diagnostics tester to your vehicle, and there they will see in the logs, that at the time of the incident, your ESP had been manually turned off.

Also, if you write (or get asked) in your claim that ESP was still 'on' when this event occurred, they can then accuse you of lying, or making a false claim :(. Which of course, no one would want!
Mercedes is pretty up front about the fact that their cars contain actual "black box" type hardware (or maybe just software), that in the event of a crash will record all sorts of things, most of which could probably be used against you in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I finally found something new (I think?) to add to this thread! I have a 2018 GLA45 with the keyless go feature.

We are all well aware that you cannot use the key fob buttons while the vehicle is running. Most commonly we'd like to get out of the car and lock the doors with it still running while we step away for a moment. But we are denied via the key fob.

I have found that if you have the "Mercedes me" app that includes the remote start and lock/unlock functions (the free trial version), you CAN lock and unlock the doors while the car is running, even though you did not use the remote start function.

So now you can pull up to a gas station, leave the car running, get out, lock it with the app, run in and buy your Mountain Dew, and come back out to a vehicle that didn't hit 200 degrees inside from the sun! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
I finally found something new (I think?) to add to this thread! I have a 2018 GLA45 with the keyless go feature.

We are all well aware that you cannot use the key fob buttons while the vehicle is running. Most commonly we'd like to get out of the car and lock the doors with it still running while we step away for a moment. But we are denied via the key fob.

I have found that if you have the "Mercedes me" app that includes the remote start and lock/unlock functions (the free trial version), you CAN lock and unlock the doors while the car is running, even though you did not use the remote start function.

So now you can pull up to a gas station, leave the car running, get out, lock it with the app, run in and buy your Mountain Dew, and come back out to a vehicle that didn't hit 200 degrees inside from the sun! /forum/images/GLA_Owners/smilies/cool.gif
Finally ... A reason to activate the app!!!

Nicely devised ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can't believe that I may have found a feature that has not been listed in the last 31 pages of posts. Of course, I have not read through them all to check. MB windshield wipers have a wear indicator gauge. They are located at the ends of each front wiper, on the flat plastic end pieces. When the dot develops a yellow circle in it, the wipers should be replaced. WOW!

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
I can't believe that I may have found a feature that has not been listed in the last 31 pages of posts. Of course, I have not read through them all to check. MB windshield wipers have a wear indicator gauge. They are located at the ends of each front wiper, on the flat plastic end pieces. When the dot develops a yellow circle in it, the wipers should be replaced. WOW!
WOW!!! That's a great share ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
It is, well, inconceivable! I wonder how it works?

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you've acquired your car pre-owned, or simply want to roll the dice again on the ECU/TCU to improve performance.

Do this voodoo dance:

1. Turn the key to position 2. You should see all the dash lights come on. Do NOT start the car. Position II: You should hear two clicks and all your dash lights should turn on. Do not start the engine.
2. Press the gas pedal all the way. By pressing the accelerator pedal to the floor, you will activate the kick down switch. Keep the gas pedal pressed all the way to down.
3. Wait. Continue to keep the gas pedal pressed for at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn key to OFF, position 0. Don’t remove the key.
5. Release the gas pedal.
6. Wait 2 minutes. During this process, key is left in the ignition in the OFF position.
7. Start the car and drive.

Source: MB MEDIC
You are being redirected...

·
Registered
2 Posts
"Loved the idea from another thread about putting in speed camera announcements as a POI file on an SD card. Sounds like an aircraft 'announcement chime' every-time I approach a known camera now"

This is awesome, My car is on order so I can not play but... can anyone point me to how to do this trick? Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Today I learned that if you open the driver's door, the car automatically shifts to park.

I was coming home, driving down the alley at about 5-10mph and one of the neighbor kids left a ball in the alley. Being the good neighbor I am, I figured I'd grab it as I rolled slowly past. So I pulled alongside, opened my door - and it felt like I hit a brick wall. The car lurched to a stop (chirping the tires) and I got thrown into the steering wheel, honking the horn.

So, don't open your door if the car is moving. At all.
This car has so many poorly implemented features. The command and control center does what it wants, not what you want.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have read about "tuneable features" on the A45. One was to have the "Loud start" by pulling a shift paddle then getting the car to crank. Tried it, didn't work.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Things tied to acronyms like EPA and CAFE force manufacturers to default to Comfort Mode :mad:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have read about "tuneable features" on the A45. One was to have the "Loud start" by pulling a shift paddle then getting the car to crank. Tried it, didn't work.
‘Emotion Start’ is part of the latest generation, so the new 45’s should have it.

Previous gen cars after the initial cold start and then restarting the car in a short time already pop and bang so IMO this was added due to the strict EU reg’s killing sound.. could be dubbed the ‘OPF era’ before everything goes EV

301 - 317 of 317 Posts