Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why is the price so low? 23k it's a very low price for such a car. Does it have any issues or modifications, or I don't understand something? You bought it for 37k and in a little, over a year it got down to 23k, weird. I recommend you to keep the car because you'll spend 2k on the brakes and exchange the tires and that's it, great car no problems. You should ask yourself some questions, how much do I have to invest in to get it in perfect condition? Do I still want it? How much is my car tax? Do I want another car? and you'll see the advantages and disadvantages but as I already said, it's a great car, so you should keep it.

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
Mercedes vehicles in particular depreciate rather harshly and I think unfairly. Presumably because people get concerned over near end/post-warranty high maintenance and repair costs; such concerns generally unwarranted but they drive the market regardless. I watch a fair number of auctions and I'm always perplexed by how dramatically their price value falls. The upside is that there are many excellent and relatively affordable pre-owned MB vehicles out there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mercedes vehicles in particular depreciate rather harshly and I think unfairly. Presumably because people get concerned over near end/post-warranty high maintenance and repair costs; such concerns generally unwarranted but they drive the market regardless. I watch a fair number of auctions and I'm always perplexed by how dramatically their price value falls. The upside is that there are many excellent and relatively affordable pre-owned MB vehicles out there.
I think it's also a matter of supply and demand. The supply of fresh used Mercedes is high, because people keep buying a new one every few years, but then not a lot of people are anxious to jump behind the wheel after 50k.
My "new" 2017 GLA came with only 31k on it, so I'm already ahead in the resale game. It's only a $9k upgrade from my Audi, and 5 years newer. I'm sick over the fact I'll cost a similar $9k to have driven it only 9000 miles....$1/mile is depressing. On the other hand, no repair costs over 2 1/2 years, so it came out to only $260 a month to own a pretty decent car.

I honestly think I'll do better with the GLA. The trick is to start with a low buying price, so you can sell and get out at a convenient time. Similar thing happens when you pay MSRP for a car that's heavily discounted the next year. That's why I didn't end up with a new model 2021 GLA.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Why is the price so low? 23k it's a very low price for such a car. Does it have any issues or modifications, or I don't understand something? You bought it for 37k and in a little, over a year it got down to 23k, weird. I recommend you to keep the car because you'll spend 2k on the brakes and exchange the tires and that's it, great car no problems. You should ask yourself some questions, how much do I have to invest in to get it in perfect condition? Do I still want it? How much is my car tax? Do I want another car? and you'll see the advantages and disadvantages but as I already said, it's a great car, so you should keep it.
original poster getting into a painful situation here. 18-20k on this car/yr? Most of the original purchase was financing, so seriously upside down on a high performance car. It's an AMG and things are expensive. Driving those kind of miles, get a more eco small car. Otherwise, a couple more of these flips and original poster is going to be in such a serious, upside down position.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you should keep it a bit longer because it can live more, it’s really nice car and i really love it, i bought one few years ago after i had a nice experience of driving it when i was on a vacation to Odessa, Ukraine, i rented it for low price on Rental Car in Ukraine - Budget & Best car hire | NarsCars and driving it was the most interesting thing on that vacation and that’s why i decided to buy one when i go back home and i did, now i have it for 4 years with 100k miles and it still running great ! i really recommend you to keep it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is true, if you drive a lot of miles you NEED a less expensive car. otoh, if you can get by on 10k a year, a nice car lease every 3 years is not a bad idea.

It's similar with tires. If I burn thru a set in 2 years, I'll take a chance on a new model, cheaper tire.

If I think I will use the set for 4-5 years, spend a little more on a quality set with a known-good reputation.

For me that was Pirelli P7 A/S for winter and Nokian Zline SUV for summer. I haven't been keeping my cars really long, nor putting miles on them, since I own 4 Mercedes at the moment. Still, I like to have nice tires. 😁

I certainly have tried most all of the better A/S tires on the market.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Look up what the cost per miles it is after the lease period, $.20c-$.25c is on the low end. If your total cost per mile exceeds that, you ar3e doing something wrong. I have driven decent used cars for $.10c to $.15c a mile.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts