Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 GLA45 AMG with 48,500 miles. Can't really complain about this car, its been pretty much perfect for me with zero issues in the 14 months of ownership. It needs 4 new tires and probably brakes. Paid I think $37,000 from a MB dealer last November and it's currently worth about 23k on trade. Still owe about 32k but am nervous about putting another 18-20k miles on it this year.

Thoughts? Keep it for the long term and put another 20k miles on it? I'll be over 50k miles in a month or so and with the brakes and tires that's probably $2,000?

Debating on trading it in and justbiting the bullet on the negative equity. ****, I never though the value of this thing would sink faster than the Titanic!

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
You buy a car from the dealer at a premium. You trade in a car at the dealer at the lowest price level. The dealer is there as a business ... To make money. They sell more cars in a week than you'll buy in a lifetime. The advantage is theirs.

Add taxes and registration to depreciation to the above to get to where you are now. Taxes and registration will repeat if you trade in the 45.

The questions would be ...

Do you like the 45?

Is the 45 performing to expectations?

Does the 45 fit your lifestyle?

Is there a valid reason for getting out of the 45?

Swapping vehicles can be expensive. I used to cycle vehicles every few months but in my case I was performing repairs and selling for a profit (that just barely covered costs after subtracting government fees). But my model allowed me to experience a lot of different cars in a short period of time (well ... Years!!!).

But your trade model appears to be different. Do you have a car in mind to replace the 45 with? What are you gaining for your losses?

·
601 Posts
At 48k the car is not even broken in. The life if maintained is in the multi 100k's. Yes, there is the cost of tires and brakes and other maintenance item but a replacement will have these costs. If looking to trade often and void maintenance cost start leasing your cars, payments are less and no repair cost as they are under warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Itching to get a Tesla Model 3 is the only real reason I want to sell. These 20" tires are expensive, ride is rough and they are not ideal for an all season tire for the Philadelphia area.

This is car #46 for me so I am not naive to the process but the depreciation is the steepest of any car/SUV I've owned previously.

If I had confidence this would go trouble free for 100k miles I'd be tempted to put new tires and brakes on and put the Tesla behind me for a little while.

As for the value vs trade in, I'd have no choice other than to write a check to cover the difference. Other than the negative equity getting the Tesla wouldn't cost me a penny out of pocket due to work paying for my car. As of now the reimbursement covers the payment but none of the gas/upkeep. The Tesla maintenance is very low, would have new tires, new brakes, a new car warranty AND the electric would be minimal per month as compared to the $350 a month in gas I am currently paying for the GLA.

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
Drove a Model 3. Absolutely no character. If it was in my garage it would remain parked. I would dread having to drive one. But that's me and there are plenty of people out there that love them.

I might advise renting one first. The instant torque is neat at first but wears thin in less than an hour. The interface and controls IMHO were terrible.

·
Registered
469 Posts
2015 GLA45 AMG with 48,500 miles. Can't really complain about this car, its been pretty much perfect for me with zero issues in the 14 months of ownership. It needs 4 new tires and probably brakes. Paid I think $37,000 from a MB dealer last November and it's currently worth about 23k on trade. Still owe about 32k but am nervous about putting another 18-20k miles on it this year.

Thoughts? Keep it for the long term and put another 20k miles on it? I'll be over 50k miles in a month or so and with the brakes and tires that's probably $2,000?

Debating on trading it in and justbiting the bullet on the negative equity. ****, I never though the value of this thing would sink faster than the Titanic!
i love mine with 81k on and stage 3 is about kick in.
but model 3 performance would be my to go period, faster then most of the cars out there and if it had hatch back , be my new car 100%, i play drums so i need the hatch.
got up is tire size to 245 huge saving and selection also save you your rims. also not the run flats , those are a joke, very heavy and slow tires.
brakes is do your self job only for me.
Saeed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't disagree that the most cost effective thing to do is spring for new all season tires and possibly brakes and put the idea of selling this car to rest for a year. It's been trouble free and I really have nothing to complain about, other than wanting a different car.

I've searched and found lots of different threads but are there any recommendations for an all season tire for this car? 245/40 ZR 20 99Y are what's on it now.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I don't disagree that the most cost effective thing to do is spring for new all season tires and possibly brakes and put the idea of selling this car to rest for a year. It's been trouble free and I really have nothing to complain about, other than wanting a different car.

I've searched and found lots of different threads but are there any recommendations for an all season tire for this car? 245/40 ZR 20 99Y are what's on it now.
the correct stock size 235 40 20. i would used tirerack for tires you are looking for.
C

·
Registered
50 Posts
the new ones i just got are 245/40R20 and the ride got noticeable better. i would highly recommend going this route as i didn't find too many options for 235/40R20.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My car currently has the 245/40 ZR 20 on now. Ride seems OK but I definitely would not want to take a step back in the ride dept.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Was the car in an accident? 23k seems low on trade unless it doesn't have many options.

Brakes alone are going to cost 2k+. Euro independent quoted 2k and dealer is around 2400 usually. OE Conti's mounted all around are going to be at least 1k. Have you had the trans service done? It'll be due again 60k and thats usually 500+ or so. AMG's are expensive, aka All Money Gone lol. I had a '15 and in the current market I just kept coming back to the GLA45 and nothing else really stood out to me like it did so I upgraded to a '17 and couldn't be happier. Never drove a Tesla but I can't imagine going to a noiseless car after getting used to the 45 exhaust

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
23k was the value via the Tesla trade in website. I would hope it's worth a little bit more. I bought it as a CPO with 26k miles 14 months ago (Nov) and was told it was flawless, which it has been.

It's a pretty decked out car, with the red seatbelts, 20" rims, carbon fibre interior, etc.

The A4 service light just came on this week. I'm not thrilled with the idea of writing a 10k check to walk away from this car no matter what the "new" car would be. Something tells me I am going to keep it unless I start rationalizing the upkeep costs (tires, brakes and service) and decide to move on to the next.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I'm curious if you've gotten a MB dealer offer? Most will buy used MBs, albeit not a private sale price. Since it was a CPO, that might help with the sale.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i love mine with 81k on and stage 3 is about kick in.
but model 3 performance would be my to go period, faster then most of the cars out there and if it had hatch back , be my new car 100%, i play drums so i need the hatch.
got up is tire size to 245 huge saving and selection also save you your rims. also not the run flats , those are a joke, very heavy and slow tires.
brakes is do your self job only for me.
Saeed

Wow, you guys drive a LOT, 81k and poster at 48k. I bought mine with 18k and it currently has 25.5k and I'll be coming up on 2yrs. ownership start of May.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We have had 235/40ZR20 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's on one of our GLA45's.
These are noted to be ultra high performance all-season tires tires and have found them to be excellent such that would recommend them highly and suggest you consider them as part of your process. They last about twice as long as the OEM Conti 5P's and are an excellent drive in all but very wintery (extreme cold and deep snow) conditions when one should have "winter tires".

·
Super Moderator
303 Posts
Concur. I run same on my Audi. Not a heavy snow dedicated Winter tire but very capable in medium depth snow as well as excellent in sleet/slush/rain. Also very little loss in performance cornering compared to a dedicated Summer tire. Typical Michelin smooth and quiet ride as well. A superlative year 'round use compromise in northern climes.

We have had 235/40ZR20 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's on one of our GLA45's.
These are noted to be ultra high performance all-season tires tires and have found them to be excellent such that would recommend them highly and suggest you consider them as part of your process. They last about twice as long as the OEM Conti 5P's and are an excellent drive in all but very wintery (extreme cold and deep snow) conditions when one should have "winter tires".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you live in a place with snow? I drive on Michelin x ice but I'm in iowa. I wouldn't trade them for anything....so nice. I do use an 18 inch tire for winter and 19nfor summer. I can give you exact measurements if you want.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts