Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 with the base sound system. As we all know that is simply not an outstanding choice My parts just came in and I am starting my install tomorrow and plan to do Focal components in the front and coax in the rear. Doing a JL audio Amp and 10" JL sub. I am planning to build a custom box to fit in the area where the spare tire sits so that the install looks clean. Has anyone used that area for a sub, if so did you feel like that smaller space worked out decent for you?

Thanks, with any luck I will get it done in less than 2 evenings and not fry anything.

·
Super Moderator
1,620 Posts
Good luck and take time to enjoy the process. Post pictures when you're done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Will you be amplifing the Focal's speakers or just replacing the factory speaker and using the factory amp?
Same for the sub amp will you be tapping into the factory wiring?

Reason I ask is because you will be tapping in after the factory amp/dsp and will need to compensate accordingly.
Also factory speakers are 2ohm, replacing with a 4ohm speaker will be fine but not optimal as it will present a lower impendence load at the amp. But if the are efficient enough, minimum 90+ db, they will at least provide a slight sound quality upgrade.

Also depends on the sub and the enclosure size it is designed for. I have had great success with dayton, JL and gladen sub in false floor boxes in the past.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Doing a JL audio Amp and 10" JL sub. I am planning to build a custom box to fit in the area where the spare tire sits so that the install looks clean. Has anyone used that area for a sub, if so did you feel like that smaller space worked out decent for you?
I used that space to install a 15" subwoofer, two amplifiers (a 4-channel and 5 channel), and three signal processors (JBL MS8, and two miniDSP 2x4 HD's). And kept the HK amp which is still there too.

I am happy to answer any questions you have.

Bottom line, it will work just fine. If you use the stock floor like I have, you will lose 4 dB of total output at the driver's seat. As long as you aren't maxing out the performance of the subwoofer, this is OK. You just have to gain up 4 dB to compensate. If you don't have 4 dB of headroom, your sub will be lacking. I can't comment on EQ you'll need, if any, to help. I have so much on tap I didn;t worry about it. My guess is though, that you'll be just fine and not have any major issues with frequency response as a result of the mounting location. If you have any response issue, I can about guarantee it's from a relative lack of box volume, it's cramped quarters down there, and tough to deal with. I haven't kept up with the latest JL audio product lines, but historically they have sold a few options that perform pretty well in smaller box volumes. If that is still the case and you picked one of those, I think you'll be just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts