Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
895 Posts
I think a strut tower brace is always a plus in performance vehicles and I have augmented many sports-marques. As you know it better locks together both the Macpherson-type strut/damper tops (referenced for others).
I've seen less value in lower braces unless the vehicle was sorely lacking same by design (Miata comes readily to mind, but then many like its looser handling).
Although the GLA45 is indeed well endowed from the factory. ;)

ref:
"Enhanced cornering is the result of the strut brace redistributing excess pressure from one strut tower to the other. This significantly reduces chassis flex through tight corners and helps to keep your steering stable even at high speeds."
What's the consensus here about adding strut tower bars or under-frame braces? The structure seems pretty solid--is there value in stiffer?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sway bars are superb on track. On the street, not so much. I three-wheel out of steep driveways because I'm so stiff. tires basically spin right away for that. I can easily see having LESS traction on "canyon roads" due to the car lifting a wheel.

On track, I can't even compare. Traction is absurd, and coupled with sticky tires the car holds very high lateral G without slip.

For me, it is worth it. For someone who bought the car to 'dick around on public roads', I wouldn't. If you want to track tune to the point of optimizing for smooth tarmac at the expensive of rough roads, for sure do it.

Be aware the install cost is high because the sub frame needs to come down, and the sub frame holds the engine. Basically they hoist the engine and unbolt the front end so the entire assembled car in front of the firewall is dangling by the wire harness, then they wedge it apart 4 inches so the bar can go in. yay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts