Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any favorite phone holders ?

any $20+ units that objectively suc?

My A52, which fit vertically in one of the cup holders, did not do well falling off the roof, at 45...
Pixel 6pro does not fit cupholder, any sturdy duct mounts or perhaps above the mirror?

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
My wife requested and likes her WeatherTech cupholder mount in the GLA. She has the one with the more adjustable height.

I've used ProClip myself in the past on a number of vehicles, mounting to vent seam, etc. They have many mount types and accommodations for powering or not.

·
Registered
295 Posts

My A52, which fit vertically in one of the cup holders, did not do well falling off the roof, at 45...
Pixel 6pro does not fit cupholder, any sturdy duct mounts or perhaps above the mirror?
I went between ducts, with a magnetized stick on unit, has worked perfectly. My iphone has a protective case with large metallic disc on back. So this sits just below the center screen, pointing toward me. Could not use cupholder location, too low in case of glancing at phone, too close to other drink holder, etc. ebay has these, caw-car-accessories.com

Reactions: Huey52

·
Registered
2 Posts

I do not have any photos handy (the GLA is my wife's car, and she's currently at work), but:

I mounted a "Ram-B" plate (like THIS ONE) to the back of the center console screen. I did this by removing the screen from the dash (not hard to figure out) and then removing the plastic back. I mounted the plate to the plastic housing for the screen using the shortest screws with nuts (black colored, hex head, M5-.80) taking care to make sure that the nuts on the inside would not come into contact with or interfere with any of the internal parts (particularly the circuit board) inside of the housing. The Plate is dead-centered in the back of the screen housing.

I then used a 9 inch Panavise swivel arm (THIS ONE) that attaches to the ball mount. This allows us to place the phone immediately next to the infotainment screen, on the left OR right side. My wife prefers the phone sitting farther away on the Passenger side (USA) or right side. From this point, you can mount just about anything you want on the receiving end of the arm.

I bought a universal (non charging) phone holder from ProClip USA.

So far so good. The system seems to be holding up well.

We just managed to purchase Wireless Android Auto units (they are scarce...but getting availability is getting better) for both of our vehicles, so I may be looking to swap out the non-charging phone holder for a wireless charging/Qi Enabled holder. This would eliminate the need to ever plug the phone into anything, when you get into the car...just pop it in the holder and go!

I'll try to get some photos and reply with pics of the finished install.

Edit: adding photos (also posted lower in the thread)
Cloud Land vehicle Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive navigation system Gps navigation device Vehicle Mobile phone Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Hood Motor vehicle

Hood Vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.

I've used a phone thru the stereo on my MS3, had a big screen pioneer, pretty annoying way to take a call imho
But the maps on the phone are super handy for errands to unknown spots, or dodging traffic. So, I just need to be able to see the phone, mebbe poke it a few times. The proclip device I found on amazon, had a highlighted banner specifically stating non fitment on 45 AMG. Reviews on the weathtech site seemed to decry rotation issues tho mainly chevy truck products, I went with this one, has those expanding cleats, see how it goes
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61tzxrAR9-L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

I got the most extended version, tho even the base models of these designs hold the phone at the same eye sight line as the HVAC system. Which Merc apparently considers to be safe to operate while driving, so, task complexity/diversionary equivalent

The same rig has a sticky pad base version, which may, may, work hanging from the glass ceiling. very heads up

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone.

I've used a phone thru the stereo on my MS3, had a big screen pioneer, pretty annoying way to take a call imho
But the maps on the phone are super handy for errands to unknown spots, or dodging traffic. So, I just need to be able to see the phone, mebbe poke it a few times. The proclip device I found on amazon, had a highlighted banner specifically stating non fitment on 45 AMG. Reviews on the weathtech site seemed to decry rotation issues tho mainly chevy truck products, I went with this one, has those expanding cleats, see how it goes
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61tzxrAR9-L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

I got the most extended version, tho even the base models of these designs hold the phone at the same eye sight line as the HVAC system. Which Merc apparently considers to be safe to operate while driving, so, task complexity/diversionary equivalent

The same rig has a sticky pad base version, which may, may, work hanging from the glass ceiling. very heads up

Isn't that really clunky though? Or maybe you don't have the AMG with shifter down on console, those kind of units would not have worked for me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I like wjcrabtree's idea, seems like a solid mount option and with the phone mounted on the left of the screen, it puts it in a good viewing position. I ended up purchasing and installing this one: Amazon.com: Kucok Car Phone Mount Holder Custom Fit for Benz Gla-Class 2015-2020 CLA-Class 2017-2019,Auto Lock Gravity Hands Free Cell Phone Stand for 4.7-6.7 Inch Phone,GLA CLA Phone Cradles : Cell Phones & Accessories

I just installed it today so I don't have many hours with it but it does place the phone in a better position for me compared to a cup holder option. I placed it between the middle and left vent below the screen. My phone is iphone se and has a ruggedized type case; it still fits but not as easily compared to not having the protective case. It does end up blocking the lower left 1/8th of the screen though. Now I just need a longer extension to go from the connection point in the center console to the phone (for power, I can get that from a plug in).

I really like this one from another post: Mercedes CLA/GLA Phone Holder/Mount - CLA (2014-2019) & GLA (2015-2020 – Achilles Designs but I am reluctant to order it as I can't find much about the company or seller. If more frequent members purchased it and had a good experience with it, I might be more inclined to try it.

Anyway, let us know how yours works out, or not.

·
Super Moderator
2,144 Posts
I ordered the first mount referenced by sam45AMG. It arrived yesterday. Unfortunately the two halves would not clip together so the unit kept loosening. The parts were right, wedged under the vents. But the two halves, no matter how tightly I pushed them together, would not clip.

Additionally, with my Samsung phone (large) it covered most of the left side of the OEM screen. So that didn't work out for me.

Later today I'll paint the custom bracket I made out of 1/8" steel and remount that. Pictures to be supplied another day.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I bought a mount from Home Depot for $10. The cradle is crap, but the metal bracket is good. it is a t-shaped plate with automotive tape on each side.

That holds fast to the back of the screen

Then I bought a wireless charging cradle from amazon for cheap and attached that to the bracket, and routed the wire behind the dash.

--------------

So I have the phone next to the screen, and it charges wirelessly when in use.

·
Super Moderator
2,144 Posts
So the paint dried and here are a couple of pictures of my bracket installed. The slots nest into the spaces behind the display. These are easy to measure and make a template for if you remove the display. You could mount any cradle to this.

This was a quick prototype to see if Pam approved. I did not take the time to form it to the shape of the dash, which I have done for other projects. The shape former in the third picture was used to copy the roof on my 997 for a radar detector bracket. I transferred the shape to a 2" piece of wood that I cut on the band saw. This made it easy to bend that metal piece to an exact shape (picture included). I might make another bracket for Pam's 45 in the future. Then I would round the area to the right of the cradle as well. But for now this one works.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle
Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Art Gas
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ordered the first mount referenced by sam45AMG. It arrived yesterday. Unfortunately the two halves would not clip together so the unit kept loosening. The parts were right, wedged under the vents. But the two halves, no matter how tightly I pushed them together, would not clip.

Additionally, with my Samsung phone (large) it covered most of the left side of the OEM screen. So that didn't work out for me.

Later today I'll paint the custom bracket I made out of 1/8" steel and remount that. Pictures to be supplied another day.
Nice bracket!
Yeah, it took me quite a few tries to get it to clip together. The first day I tried (the day I received it) I tried to install it but to no avail, just wasn't going to happen and I didn't have much time. So, on the workbench it sat until a week or so later, when I had time, I took a closer look at how the thin edges/flanges/wings (not sure of the proper terminology) should fit (wedged) under the plastic vent shrouds/covers. For the top part, it took some maneuvering and positioning to get it to sit correctly where it should with edges under the vent covers, then it took a lot of minor adjusting and pressure to get the bottom portion to click in. At one point, I thought it wouldn't work and removed it all to test the fitment of the tab, then kept trying until it worked.

I like the bracket you made; simple, does the job, and puts the phone in a good relative position while not blocking the screen.

·
Super Moderator
967 Posts
It's always good to get Customer focus group feedback via a prototype trial run before you move to full rate production. ;)

Well done! (y)
So the paint dried and here are a couple of pictures of my bracket installed. The slots nest into the spaces behind the display. These are easy to measure and make a template for if you remove the display. You could mount any cradle to this.

This was a quick prototype to see if Pam approved. I did not take the time to form it to the shape of the dash, which I have done for other projects. The shape former in the third picture was used to copy the roof on my 997 for a radar detector bracket. I transferred the shape to a 2" piece of wood that I cut on the band saw. This made it easy to bend that metal piece to an exact shape (picture included). I might make another bracket for Pam's 45 in the future. Then I would round the area to the right of the cradle as well. But for now this one works.
View attachment 27785 View attachment 27786 View attachment 27787 View attachment 27788

1 - 17 of 17 Posts