Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the GLA is going to sell very well. People like such cars of this segment. And they like their premium brands. Even more so in the aging European markets where the easier access into the cabin is quite a selling point. In other markets (Eastern Europe, Russia, ...) its ability to deal with less than perfect roads should be welcomed as well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Those are all really good points. The car is a compact crossover from a luxury brand. it is perfect for an aging European.

I have been hearing that a lot of the cars that companies have been making with younger people in mind end up getting purchased by far more baby boomers. So whatever these car companies are doing to target young people is doing the opposite.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Those are all really good points. The car is a compact crossover from a luxury brand. it is perfect for an aging European.

I have been hearing that a lot of the cars that companies have been making with younger people in mind end up getting purchased by far more baby boomers. So whatever these car companies are doing to target young people is doing the opposite.
If you were old, and you could never afford a luxury brand, and then one suddenly fell into your price range, it's reasonable to expect you to consider buying it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you were old, and you could never afford a luxury brand, and then one suddenly fell into your price range, it's reasonable to expect you to consider buying it.
not necessarily, just becasue people have the money doesnt mean they have to spend it. If said shopper spent their entire life as a frugal spender why should they change habits just for Mercedes?

And besides as a retiree with little or no steady income why blow a big chunk on the GLA? Impressions do not equal conversions..

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you project you will have enough years of your life left to enjoy the car, I will always support buying a Mercedes-Benz if you can comfortably afford it. Mercedes has always built high-quality cars intended for long-term ownership. My philosophy is that buying a quality piece you enjoy and keeping it for many years is always a good value over buying something cheaper that will need to be replaced sooner.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Europe hasn't been buying new cars very much though so I wonder if the GLA is that special car that will reverse the trend. It is both luxury and not as expensive. The lower price point could be what is needed to boost sales in Europe.

·
Registered
694 Posts
If you project you will have enough years of your life left to enjoy the car, I will always support buying a Mercedes-Benz if you can comfortably afford it. Mercedes has always built high-quality cars intended for long-term ownership. My philosophy is that buying a quality piece you enjoy and keeping it for many years is always a good value over buying something cheaper that will need to be replaced sooner.
Exactly. I think with a Mercedes the time in it's life where you really need to decide how long you should keep it is when you start getting into the 6 figure mileage range. At that range the big maintenance jobs come up, costing thousands.

Either sell it right before all that needs to be done or do the big maintenance and keep it for a while to get your moneys worth, because we all know that you will NEVER get that money back.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Europe hasn't been buying new cars very much though so I wonder if the GLA is that special car that will reverse the trend. It is both luxury and not as expensive. The lower price point could be what is needed to boost sales in Europe.
it's also in a way a first for Mercedes, so being a unique vehicle to the brand that has entry-level model pricing it should do well in Europe, North America, and any big nation.

·
Registered
184 Posts
it's also in a way a first for Mercedes, so being a unique vehicle to the brand that has entry-level model pricing it should do well in Europe, North America, and any big nation.
funny that you mention pricing, I've been following the CLA as well as the GLA for sometime now. I've been reading some of the pricing/lease threads over at the CLA forums and it looks like the "affordable" mercedes is really not all that financially freindly. People are reporting dealer lease quotes of $500/mo. on $5k down...

Not for anything but you can get into a C-class for $350-400 with $0 down...
If people werent buying C-classes at that price point why would they buy CLA's at this price point.

I dont expect GLA to be any better payment wise...

·
Registered
42 Posts
It would be a problem for those who dont put down anything but it is to be expected for such high monthly payments for Mercedes. Its not for everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts