Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good:
the GLA 45 is a wonderful car, fantastic handling and engine.
I absolutely love it!!
Not too long to order and get delivered:
ordered 3/8/16, on boat 4/18/16, arrived at port in Baltimore 4/29, drove away in it on 5/12.

Bad:
a few (minor) bad things:

Despite my dealer and the MBusa website's statements to the contrary, no remote start function available (major bummer made worse by the expectations established by Mercedes' deception). This definitely has cast a shadow over my purchase and already I wonder if my next car will be MB.

Trying to cancel the unwanted MBRACE security and concierge 6 month trials --- took multiple conversations on the phone with each new person reading me the entire list of wonderful reasons to keep these -- don't I care about safety?

So, minor annoyances with a car that I find nearly perfect. I am glad I purchased it, I just wish dealing with MB had been different.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good:
the GLA 45 is a wonderful car, fantastic handling and engine.
I absolutely love it!!
Not too long to order and get delivered:
ordered 3/8/16, on boat 4/18/16, arrived at port in Baltimore 4/29, drove away in it on 5/12.

Bad:
a few (minor) bad things:

Despite my dealer and the MBusa website's statements to the contrary, no remote start function available (major bummer made worse by the expectations established by Mercedes' deception). This definitely has cast a shadow over my purchase and already I wonder if my next car will be MB.

Trying to cancel the unwanted MBRACE security and concierge 6 month trials --- took multiple conversations on the phone with each new person reading me the entire list of wonderful reasons to keep these -- don't I care about safety?

So, minor annoyances with a car that I find nearly perfect. I am glad I purchased it, I just wish dealing with MB had been different.
I got complimentary 4-year M-Brace, allegedly. I never gave them a CC # so I doubt I'll have to cancel anything. I didn't ask about remote start but there were several other points of confusion at my dealer, most which seemed to be the result of confusion between the GLA and the CLA. They sell so many more CLAs that the sales people kept getting the available features of two confused. Fortunately I figured this out pretty quickly and just started double-checking things that didn't add-up.

My delivery time was about the same as yours. So far so good, except for issues with getting a hitch. This is one thing I wish I would have followed up on and if I get an IQS survey I am going to ding them on that.

If I could improve one thing about the car it would be the interior storage space. The glove box and center console are kind of dinky. However, I was fully aware of this before I bought the car, so I can't complain, and I think it will give me an opportunity to streamline my life and carry less junk.

·
Super Moderator
1,901 Posts
The CLA has under the front seat storage trays that have been fitted in the GLA and posted on this Forum.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
My 2015 GLA250 is not exactly new (4 months old). I have a bunch of things that I like about it(the good), most of them previously mentioned on the forum, but there are a few things I do not like at all(the bad), that have not received a lot of attention.
1. During daytime driving, the speedometer and the tach dials are not lit. Basically most of the time you can't see the speedo needle. I know, you can have digital readout of speed in the middle of the drive dash panel, but it would be nice to be able to read the speedometer and have something else in the mid dash position.
2. Most of the buttons in the center console aren't lit. In particular, the button for changing from E to S is not lit, and the buttons that control the display options aren't. Makes changing things very difficult at night.
3. Controls for the heating/air conditioning system are in a very poor location, virtually impossible to read or use while driving.
4. The forward and reverse buttons next to the center volume control are extremely sensitive. You have to be very careful when adjusting volume using the knob; if you even lightly touch the forward or reverse button you are forwarded or reversed. This is most frustrating when you have invested time listening to something on your USB drive, like an old radio program, and when you reach to turn up the volume and accidentally hit the Fwd or Rev button, and have to start over, since there is no fast fwd or rev, and you have to then stay in the car and listen to the whole program over again.
5. The center arm rest slides forward and back, which is nice for resting your arm on, however, do not put a refreshing beverage in the rear most cup holder and then accidentally slide the arm rest forward (maybe this is a 2015 problem?).
6. Doesn't seem to matter whether the car is in S or E mode, the car up shifts and down shifts somewhat at random. It is disconcerting to be making a turn and have it shift to 1st or second. Perhaps there is an ECU update, or maybe it's a feature of the 2015.

These are just a few little things that detract slightly from enjoying an otherwise nice ride, and mostly could have been avoided with very little expense and some attention to design detail. It is entry level, so maybe the crack engineers were otherwise disposed. It is still one fine looking vehicle.

Reactions: CharlesLewis

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
4. The forward and reverse buttons next to the center volume control are extremely sensitive. You have to be very careful when adjusting volume using the knob; if you even lightly touch the forward or reverse button you are forwarded or reversed. This is most frustrating when you have invested time listening to something on your USB drive, like an old radio program, and when you reach to turn up the volume and accidentally hit the Fwd or Rev button, and have to start over, since there is no fast fwd or rev, and you have to then stay in the car and listen to the whole program over again......

You can fast forward and reverse when playing audio media from the USB drive. The track forward and back buttons on either side of the dash mounted volume knob give you both a skip track and fast fwd/rev function. If you press them they skip, but if you push and hold down they fast fwd/rev on the same track you are on.

BTW, I agree with you that the function of the console mounted control knob is compromised by how easily it moves. I notice it more in the winter when wearing a coat and the edge of my sleeve lightly bumps the knob and the audio skips or changes channels. The control knob is similarly placed in our GLK, but takes slightly more effort to rotate, and it's position is a little more ergonomically friendly.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hey Boxster-Thanks twice-I saw your comment about fast forward/rev on another thread. While on the subject of things I don't like, at least in my car, when the roof opens all the way, there is a most uncomfortable thumping air noise above about 30 mph or so. You either have to open a window or close the roof a bit. It's sort of the same effect as blowing on the top of a bottle, only this hurts your ears.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
I have same problem with open sun roof noise/vibration. If I had it to do over, I would pass on the sun roof in a GLA.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'm very glad I passed on the panoramic roof, do not miss it, even in Hawaii. I had a similar problem on a 2010 VW GTI with the front and rear windows down, thunderous booming...but opening the sunroof would provide an air outlet and solve that. Fascinating but annoying to the max. I also didn't like the flimsy canvas panoramic window covers, which some members have reported here as being too bright at times when closed. The other associated issue was the wind baffle that goes up when the GLA panoramic roof opens...does not seem to have a look that blends in with the rest of the car...actually a negative look to me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just passed the break-in period, and starting to remember one of the main reasons I bought the GLA45. The engine/exhaust sounds are addicting.

I have had similar issues with the pano roof on other cars. It's definitely less noisy than my 2008 BMW 328xi but more noisy than wife's Cayenne diesel pano roof. Overall, I like the airy/open feeling and willing to put up with the noise.

I live in CO and the sun can be pretty strong, so I have from time to time closed the shade during those sunny days. Since we are talking about the pano shade, I looked at the Teslas (S and X) before deciding on the GLA and can't believe none of the Teslas even offer a built-in shade (other than ones you have to manually install).

Only two things really bother me about the GLA:

1. lack of dynamically moving headlights (my 2008 BWM 3-series had that - it comes really handy driving in the mountains at night); and
2. lack of headlight washers (my 2003 Audi had that - it comes really handy in winter months here).

Both are safety items and I am surprised they are not on an MB car in 2016. My bad but I assumed these two were standard on at least German cars. And both are available in other countries (apparently similar to the trailer option as others have stated on the board).

This is my first MB and I am really surprised they would remove safety options from one region to the next.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Just passed the break-in period, and starting to remember one of the main reasons I bought the GLA45. The engine/exhaust sounds are addicting.

I have had similar issues with the pano roof on other cars. It's definitely less noisy than my 2008 BMW 328xi but more noisy than wife's Cayenne diesel pano roof. Overall, I like the airy/open feeling and willing to put up with the noise.

I live in CO and the sun can be pretty strong, so I have from time to time closed the shade during those sunny days. Since we are talking about the pano shade, I looked at the Teslas (S and X) before deciding on the GLA and can't believe none of the Teslas even offer a built-in shade (other than ones you have to manually install).

Only two things really bother me about the GLA:

1. lack of dynamically moving headlights (my 2008 BWM 3-series had that - it comes really handy driving in the mountains at night); and
2. lack of headlight washers (my 2003 Audi had that - it comes really handy in winter months here).

Both are safety items and I am surprised they are not on an MB car in 2016. My bad but I assumed these two were standard on at least German cars. And both are available in other countries (apparently similar to the trailer option as others have stated on the board).

This is my first MB and I am really surprised they would remove safety options from one region to the next.
Congrats on the break-in period, i remembered that first 1000 miles to be a real chore. Had a E90 myself, especially with the all wheel drive and/in addition to the run-flats they really had a lot of road noise.

Its all in the market and what MB deem fits the US market.
1) Mercedes removed the intelligent lighting system which is available for the GLA in other markets. Even the vertical height light adjustment i heard is just simulated at start up not active during driving.

2) Automatic folding side mirrors with LED flood lights, also removed but available in other markets.

Both were standard on a car almost 10 years old.

MB does this for all their cars except for the high end ones. The new w205 C class however have them standard.

Side note my 45 would have cost close to 85-95k in other markets

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have same problem with open sun roof noise/vibration. If I had it to do over, I would pass on the sun roof in a GLA.
I really like the pano roof when it's closed, and I've just learned to not let it open all the way. It only has to be closed slightly to stop the thumping. I was trading in a 2011 3 series BMW when I got the GLA. It was the last 2015 in their inventory, and it had what it had. In retrospect, I think I would rather have had 4-matic instead of the roof, but that was not to be. I have owned cars with FWD in the past, and find them different when cornering, but once you figure it out, they are pretty nimble around a curve. There is definite over-steer, especially with the GLA. My other FWD's were also great in the snow, and I am hoping the GLA will be tolerable, although, maybe there won't be snow any more. One of the scary things about GLA FWD, when you give it the pedal in S mode, the tires immediately start to break free, and the anti-lock brakes start to kick in, causing interesting effects.
BTW Boxster, thanks again for the tip about Fast FWD and REV. It works like you said. I suppose that issue was discussed in the COMAND manual, but there were no manuals when I picked up my car. They did order them for me, but said the COMAND manual was a special order item, that I would have to buy. That's BS, I think. I did download the PDF, but it is not easy to use.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Hello Fbsdmd, you can download the same manual in PDF format from MBUSA if you need it quickly. However, it's limited information, as the printed manual will be. You'll find an expanded digital operator's manual on your control console video system. It's actually a bit of a drill to dig down to what you want, but once you catch on it's not so bad. Except, you can't take it in your house a read it at your leisure.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Fbsdmd;108041 My other FWD's were also great in the snow said:
You may want to invest in some winter or all season tires before next winter, assuming it snows:)

I have 4Matic, but with the stock performance run flat tires, traction is still relatively poor in snow. I almost hit a guard rail last winter making a low speed 90 degree left. I turned the wheel, but the car kept going straight. I've been driving in Indiana snowstorms for over 40 years, so well accustomed to slick road conditions, therefore blame the tires. This winter I will have all seasons.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It did come with all season tires. We had less than 10" of snow all winter until April when we had a monster 10" snow storm, and I had a limited chance to motor through the flakes. Seemed acceptable. I'm retired now, and my wife has an AWD Lexus RX. She won't drive if there is more than 1" of snow, so I can keep the GLA in the garage. Since it's FWD, I might consider getting just front snows. I know the recommendation is to get all 4, but a lot of the reasons for that don't seem to apply to FWD.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My wife likes controlling the music while I drive, which is easier and more intuitive in our Audi Q5, but multiple times, she's confused the drive mode knob (I, C, S, S+) with the control knob (which isn't very accessible when I'm leaning on the arm rest). No bueno when you unexpectedly switch modes while driving. I finally setup the preset buttons on the number pad to help alleviate the problem, so any knobs are off limits to her while driving . If only we had touch screen controls in these luxury vehicles. Lol.

I quite like the pano roof. I only open it if I'm on the streets, but once I hit the freeway, I close it up. I like having the extra light... makes it feel more open while driving. Kinda wish it was a full pano glass panel like in our Q5 rather than the two sections, but still love it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I had need of the defroster last night, and discovered that almost nothing in the center dash is lit at night. Except for the red lights on the right and left temperature knobs, there is nothing lit in the climate control area. The button to turn off eco mode is lit, and that's it. The function buttons on top left and the key pad on top right are dark. I can't believe that no one else is unhappy with this, or maybe I haven't found the magic switch to turn the lighting on?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts