Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
GLA45 AMG edition 1
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here and I'm desperate for answers! I own a GLA45 AMG edition one and I'm from the city of Dubai in the UAE. I asked a garage to look at my coolant problem and they told me that my coolant is leaking so I need to replace the thermostat and get a new water pump as well. It's been there for 5 days and they said that this whole thing the job is super difficult they said they are removing the engine to replace it and thats why its taking forever.

PLEASE HELP! ANY INFORMATION WILL HELP HERE

ON HOW TO REMOVE AND REPLACE AND ALL OF THAT

Super Moderator
As both the thermostat and water pump are heavy wear items, given continuously immersed in coolant, they are more prone to needing replacement. When the timing belt is being replaced the water pump is almost always replaced as well since that area of the engine is already exposed.

If your shop has already removed the engine then I guess there's not much more you can do other than see the repair through to completion. 馃槙 If you mean they rather are just citing they need to do so then I think you'd be better off at a Mercedes dealership where they should have more experience and more likely not have to remove the engine. And as your CAPITALIZED title cites they don't even know how to replace the thermostat I would definitely be seeking a better shop!!!

The thermostat replacement is relatively easy but the water pump is always a tedious job given that much of the ancillary belt driven components and front of engine cover must be removed for access to same and of course draining the coolant. Apparently from their viewpoint engine-out is easier for them, but again typically not done.

Wherever you end up also have them inspect all the coolant & refrigerant hoses for aging, cracks and leaks. In your location the A/C in particular gets a lot of use as well of course the coolant system for the engine itself.

You can reference a Shop Manual: GLA45 AMG Service Instuctions

Registered
GLA45 AMG edition 1
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As both the thermostat and water pump are heavy wear items, given continuously immersed in coolant, they are more prone to needing replacement. When the timing belt is being replaced the water pump is almost always replaced as well since that area of the engine is already exposed.

If your shop has already removed the engine then I guess there's not much more you can do other than see the repair through to completion. 馃槙 If you mean they rather are just citing they need to do so then I think you'd be better off at a Mercedes dealership where they should have more experience and more likely not have to remove the engine. And as your CAPITALIZED title cites they don't even know how to replace the thermostat I would definitely be seeking a better shop!!!

The thermostat replacement is relatively easy but the water pump is always a tedious job given that much of the ancillary belt driven components and front of engine cover must be removed for access to same and of course draining the coolant. Apparently from their viewpoint engine-out is easier for them, but again typically not done.

Wherever you end up also have them inspect all the coolant & refrigerant hoses for aging, cracks and leaks. In your location the A/C in particular gets a lot of use as well of course the coolant system for the engine itself.

You can reference a Shop Manual: GLA45 AMG Service Instuctions
Thanks Huey - I appreciate your kind help! They still have no update on the car :( I will look through the service instructions and check if I can find help there. Do you have by any chance any idea where the thermostat is located and how to replace it? The thing is in the UAE and other GCC countries its just in the UAE each emirate has only one authorized distributor for Mercedes can you imagine that?! so its a monopoly and they charge an arm and a leg for everything.

Super Moderator
CLA 250, so not exact same model, but likely similar thermostat procedure. But again if you have to instruct your shop you may be better served elsewhere. In typical Benz fashion it's more complex than lesser brands, but still not that difficult.

However, replacing the water pump is a much more arduous procedure on any brand.

Super Moderator
Clarification noted. I had a number of GM 4-banger company cars in the 80's when rubberoid timing belts were replacing chains and they often broke. In fact so bad with the Oldsmobile Firenza, and thereby quickly in short supply, that some co-managers took to carrying a spare with them! Sometimes/most times good ol' metal timing chains are superior. ;)

Anyway, again in context just expressing that when the timing chain is being replaced the water pump is almost always replaced as well since that area of the engine is already exposed.
By the way, the 45AMG uses a timing chain and not a belt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts