Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else appreciate classic Mercedes-Benz? I need something to work on until I get my GLA...

I regularly browse my local Craigslist for-sale-by-owner section for interesting cars.

Yesterday evening, I saw an ad for a one-owner 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300CD turbodiesel. The ad had just been posted two hours prior to my viewing.

The W123 chassis cars are known for their outstanding durability and perceived quality. Prices for clean, low-mileage examples have risen to $12,000 and above in recent years. Coupes command a higher price than sedans, as only approximately 100,000 coupes were produced. More than three million sedans were produced.

I have always wanted to own one, and as 1985 was the final model year, nothing could be better than a 1985 turbocharged coupe like this one.

***not actual photos, ad has since been removed***

The car looked exactly like the above, same color and wheels. It was described as being in excellent condition (a rust-free Arizona car), with less than 70,000 original miles. Only $5000 was the asking price. :eek: My heart raced and I jumped for the phone.

I met the owner (a Silicon Valley executive) and drove the car this morning. She was very friendly and we shared a cordial discussion on the merits of classic Mercedes-Benz cars. The 300CD was flawless and in showroom condition. The entire car was immaculate -- truly a total time capsule. Cold air conditioning and warm heat were both immediate. Once on the road, the 300CD drove like a dream. Absolutely smooth in every respect. I thought these were supposed to be breathtakingly slow, but the 300CD turbo had no difficulty accelerating with modern traffic once the boost kicked in. I was positively enamored by this classic Mercedes-Benz, and so I made her an offer above the asking price, thinking that should surely seal the deal.

But I was not the only one enamored with the car. I was one of several people who viewed the car before 10 am, and while I was on the test drive, shortly after I made my offer, another gentleman called the owner and offered substantially more than the asking price. The owner said it was an offer she could not refuse, and thus the car was sold. I offered to counter the other offer, but she said she did not want a bidding war.

Have you ever offered someone more than asking price for a car and were still denied?

I am still thinking about this wonderful 300CD...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I like the ethics of the lady though. She could of had a bidding war and gotten double asking if she wished, classy move really.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's crazy how MINT it look, seems like it just rolled off the production line, even the chrome looks perfect!

·
Registered
246 Posts
aww man that makes things 10x worse. Sounds like you wanted to actually enjoy the rig and tinker a bit with it. Such a shame you had to lose out to a dirty speculator trying to flip it for a quick buck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
aww man that makes things 10x worse. Sounds like you wanted to actually enjoy the rig and tinker a bit with it. Such a shame you had to lose out to a dirty speculator trying to flip it for a quick buck.
I did, and I doubt I will find another one that MINT for such a reasonable price. :(

I love these old Benzes...

·
Registered
270 Posts
you weren't joking about how MINT that car is. It's almost at 9000 now

Honestly its worth way more than that at the condition that it is in.

The paint is immaculate from the photos.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It looks really nice, especially for just $5000. The 80s was not my favorite time for car design though. I can think of other classic Benzes I would be more excited about.

·
Registered
295 Posts
you weren't joking about how MINT that car is. It's almost at 9000 now

Honestly its worth way more than that at the condition that it is in.

The paint is immaculate from the photos.
I can actually see it going for $20k easily.
Put it at a live auction and it can probably get even more depending on the people bidding.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sold for US $14,951.00
It says reserve not met, so it will go back up for sale I think.

Or did seller end up selling it to highest bidder despite the reserve?

That's a lot more than the approximately $5000 I almost bought it for...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts