Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a little question and answer piece on TFL that compared the GLA 250 to the Lexus CT Hybrid. I've quoted the question and answer below, and I also put a link to the original article as well.

Q: Hey Nathan!

I’m not a huge car review fan, but I love the Fast Lane Car! I’ve watched you for two years and your videos make me happy in so many ways, LOL!

Here’s my question. Which car makes a better statement? I love the Lexus CT200, my dealer says it’s now known as the Lexus CT Hybrid. Recently, I caught a glimpse of the Mercedes-Benz GLA 250 in my boyfriend’s condo’s parking lot. I love the way it looks. But which one is the best looking one for the burgeoning upwardly mobile?

If I’m careful, I can get either car for about thirty-five thousand, which is great. I need a hatchback because my mother is in a wheelchair and I own a big dog. I live in Las Vegas, so I do not need a four wheel drive crossover either.

What do you think Nathan? Which one makes the best statement?

Next time you and Roman hit Vegas, let me know! I have lots of friends who would love to meet you!

Sincerely,

Becca

A: Wow, what a great email!

Both vehicles have strong points. If you need something that gets amazing mileage and makes a statement about you being environmentally sensitive, the Lexus CT Hybrid is the way to go. Otherwise, the Mercedes-Benz GLA 250 is the right choice. It has more room for your mom’s wheelchair, it’s more exciting to drive, it is more contemporary and it makes a bold statement.

By the way, I recommend getting the rear cargo tray (I think it’s a $110 option) for your dog and mom’s wheelchair, it helps.

Best of luck and I’ll be sure to pass your kind invitation on to Roman!

N
Mercedes-Benz GLA 250 vs Lexus CT Hybrid, Volkswagen GTI Commuter and What about a French Car Revival? [Ask Nathan] | TFLCar.com: Automotive News, Views and Reviews

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Mercedes-Benz GLA 250 would most likely make more of a statement and I think it's a bit bigger so that's a plus for her mom and her dog.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Making a statement is a poor way to choose a car unless you have no other needs, if I had those she describes with that amount of ching I would be looking at a Grand Cherokee or similar. Then she could put the wheelchair in back without dropping the rear seats and still carry more than two passengers which is something that might play out large for a young lady if kids are in the future. Outside of just plain more room in general for everything else life is going to throw at a young person which can be hard to divine up front.. IMO the GLAs are best suited to being a second car for most people when viewed from a practicality standpoint. I say she takes care of business now and worries about playing the poser game later.

Yes, I'm an old man. :(

·
Registered
694 Posts
Making a statement is a poor way to choose a car unless you have no other needs, if I had those she describes with that amount of ching I would be looking at a Grand Cherokee or similar. Then she could put the wheelchair in back without dropping the rear seats and still carry more than two passengers which is something that might play out large for a young lady if kids are in the future. Outside of just plain more room in general for everything else life is going to throw at a young person which can be hard to divine up front.. IMO the GLAs are best suited to being a second car for most people when viewed from a practicality standpoint. I say she takes care of business now and worries about playing the poser game later.

Yes, I'm an old man. :(
Just what I was thinking, when you're shopping for a vehicle in this segment chances are you're going to have needs to be fulfilled and wants. Just purely making a statement is more like something left to choosing which supercar you want to buy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just what I was thinking, when you're shopping for a vehicle in this segment chances are you're going to have needs to be fulfilled and wants. Just purely making a statement is more like something left to choosing which supercar you want to buy.
Totally agree, but OTOH she did say, "But which one is the best looking one for the burgeoning upwardly mobile?"

Seems pretty clear that the badge is an important aspect to her. Her functional requirements would likely be better filled by a CR-V.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Who would compare a Lexus ct200H to a MB GLA250 SUV (fwd version)??? The Lexus ct200H is basically an early version of Prius with an anemic 1.4L 4 cylinders Atkinson's cycle engine augmented by a motor generator. The GLA250 can do 0-60 mph in less than 7.1 seconds while ct200H needs an agonizing 9.7 seconds. I happen to own a ct200H and I reckon that Hussain Bolt can run faster than that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts