Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I found a strange issue in my new GLA 200 MY 2022. The tailgate button located at driver seat is working fine to open the trunk but it doesn't close it when I press the same button in the opposite direction. All other options like opening the trunk with key, manual press of the button in tailgate itself are working just fine. Only this driver seat button causing the issue. Will there be any other setting blocking it or it's a real glitch that need diagnosis at the MB dealer ? Any advice would help. Thanks :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tailgate logic is that someone must be physically present at the tailgate to close it. So no remote closing, and your GLA is operating as designed.
Thanks a lot for your reply. If that's the case remote closing with Key should not work without someone physically present. But remote opening and closing work just fine with Key.

Guy from dealership says it should get closed when pressing the problematic button in opposite direction and hence it needs a diagnosis. Then they may need to replace the button to get it work as expected. I'll update here after the diagnosis.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll confess, in 5 years I haven't tried to close the batch from the driver's door. I'll have to give it a go.
Hahaha I know and totally agree. But still as a new car owner you'll try to touch all buttons at least once. Down the line we won't even notice those buttons' presence and that's a different story. I just tried that button for the very first time in my new car and my ego triggered. How come a new vehicle was delivered to me like this and wanted to sort this out :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I did try this. Many times it didn't work ... then it worked.
Just like the kick under the rear bumper. Was not working for me, now it works easily.
When the button did work to remote close the tailgate, it required activating it for quite long time.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just tried agin. I have keyless go.
Turned off engine, pulled switch, released switch, gate auto-lifted up all the way.
Pressed switch to close it, nothing.
Pressed the keyless go button one additional time then tried pressing in the gate switch.
works but only for as long as you keep it pressed.
it won’t auto close all the way in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turned off engine, pulled switch, released switch, gate auto-lifted up all the way.
Pressed the keyless go button one additional time then tried pressing in the gate switch.
Ohh let me try that. I never thought it's connected to keyless go button.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent Vladds. That works perfectly in my car too. So pressing keyless-go button at least once is must to use this tailgate button. Hmmm....This saved me a visit to the dealer and diagnosis. Thnx a lot mate !

·
Registered
2018 GLA250 4matic, 2023 GLA250 4matic (on order)
12 Posts
Just tested my '18 (without Keyless): a long push on the driver door switch does close the tailgate, but only IF the ignition is ON. And my remote opens and also closes the tailgate even when the ignition is OFF.

So if you're inside the car with the engine running the switch can close the tailgate. (On mine at least).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On mine I don’t need to press the keyless go button to
Just tested my '18 (without Keyless): a long push on the driver door switch does close the tailgate, but only IF the ignition is ON. And my remote opens and also closes the tailgate even when the ignition is OFF.

So if you're inside the car with the engine running the switch can close the tailgate. (On mine at least).
On mine, tailgate button opens the gate without a press of keyless-go button but it does need a press (without starting the engine) in order to close it. On remote it doesn’t matter. It works all the time regardless of any other factors.

·
Registered
2018 GLA250 4matic, 2023 GLA250 4matic (on order)
12 Posts
After further testing I find that on my '18 GLA, only when ignition ON can the driver switch close the tailgate. BUT that closing is only incremental - only as the switch is held back. So a long hold is needed to fully close the tailgate.

What this amounts to is the capability to adjust the height of the tailgate while driving down the road, or in the driveway with the engine running.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After further testing I find that on my '18 GLA, only when ignition ON can the driver switch close the tailgate. BUT that closing is only incremental - only as the switch is held back. So a long hold is needed to fully close the tailgate.

What this amounts to is the capability to adjust the height of the tailgate while driving down the road, or in the driveway with the engine running.
Yes this controlled closing is good in a way. Especially when u got kids around :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
The business with closing windows and such is related, as far as German cars, to a horrible accident that happened in Germany in the '80's and caused their govt to issue regulations.
I was reading at the time AutoBild and they made a huge deal.
Basically, kids left on their own in the car played with power windows and one kid caused horrible injury to the other when the other stuck his neck out the window and the first proceeded to close the power window.
German media screamed with photos of Mercedes power windows on cars of the 80's cutting an apple in two when closed.
German magazines procured special dynamometers to measure the deca-newton-meters developed by power windows when closing.
German car makers raced to install fail safes.
To this day it's a touchy subject.
So I'm not surprised that you have to really indicate willingness to remote close the gate by keeping that switch pressed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The business with closing windows and such is related, as far as German cars, to a horrible accident that happened in Germany in the '80's and caused their govt to issue regulations.
I was reading at the time AutoBild and they made a huge deal.
Basically, kids left on their own in the car played with power windows and one kid caused horrible injury to the other when the other stuck his neck out the window and the first proceeded to close the power window.
German media screamed with photos of Mercedes power windows on cars of the 80's cutting an apple in two when closed.
German magazines procured special dynamometers to measure the deca-newton-meters developed by power windows when closing.
German car makers raced to install fail safes.
To this day it's a touchy subject.
So I'm not surprised that you have to really indicate willingness to remote close the gate by keeping that switch pressed.
That’s a horrible story to hear. My aim is just to make sure all these buttons are working as expected at least when the car is brand new. Don’t know if I’m gonna use it frequently yet quite curious to explore these kinda logical settings. Will come in handy at times.

·
Super Moderator
2,153 Posts
40 some years of designing control systems for machinery that can kill you if it misbehaves created two obsessions ...

Foreseeable use and misuse.

Risk assessment.

A lot of what we see in the design of the things we enjoy are limited based upon these considerations.

Our Miele inductive cooktop requires a long touch on the power button before it will turn on. Then the "burner" must be selected with a long push before the power setting can be selected. This interface is for a unit that doesn't even create heat (induction makes the pan hot rather than the cooktop). And this safety control is for a unit that won't even supply energy unless there is a magnetic object above it.

But that's how it is.

I never expected the tailgate button to lower the hatch, so I never even tried it. I still marvel that we are allowed to have power windows and that there aren't more injuries than we hear about.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts