Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the few complaints I have about the GLA is I cannot accurately find certain buttons by feel alone, and I have to take my eyes off the road to push the desired button. Mercedes used to pride itself on ergonomics as integral to active safety, but I think they've been less diligent about that in recent years.

It occurred to me if I could come up with something analogous to a Braille dot, I could put them on the buttons that I would like to use most often by feel only. In my case that would be the fan speed buttons, the ventilation re-circulation button, and the sport mode button. After pondering this for months, I remembered among my assortment of never used gadgets was a Fiskars eyelet punch. I also had some leftover Dymo label tape in matte black. (See picture.)

So I used the 1/16" diameter punch to punch out dots in the dymo tape, and used the tip of a utility knife to position the dots on the desired buttons (photos attached).

Now, I can find those buttons by feel and keep my eyes on the road!:D
They're also very subtle visually so you don't see them if you're not looking for them.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted something that was easily reversible and wouldn't leave a trace if I changed my mind, etc., so glue wouldn't quite meet that criteria. Also, a dab of glue would be difficult to get consistent from dot to dot, for those of us with OCD tendencies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a similiar issue with the keyfob --- if I didn't have my reading glasses or if the light wasn't just right, it was impossible to tell which silver diagram was the lock, unlock, or trunk lid button. So, I got some paint: I painted the lock "picture" red, the unlock "picture" green and the trunk lid one I did not paint at all. I did it with a very small brush and a magnifying lamp so I did a good job and it looks as if it came that way from the factory --- which it should have. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.