Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just taken delivery of my new GLA with Sunroof + Roof Racks only to find out that the sunroof will not open. The dealer fitted Mercedes roof racks prevent the sunroof from opening.

Any suggestions / recommendations on solving this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Why would it not open? Doesnt make sense. In any case, you can take the Roof Racks out when you are not using them so you can open the sunroof?

·
Registered
295 Posts
That's weird. I think the first thing you should do is confirm that the rack they sold and installed for you is what your model of GLA calls for, calling up their parts department and confirming part numbers will do this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's absolutely the case, can confirm. I purchased the Mercedes Roof Rack and it is built to stop the stop the sunroof from opening. There are bumpers build into the rack that the sunroof 'hits' when it opens that tell it not to open. The back of the sunroof can still be tilted open to provide airflow. This is in the roof rack manual itself.

I returned the roof rack after two days, it had a horrible amount of wind noise and the dealership validated it was installed perfectly. I don't need a roof rack before the spring, so I'm hoping Thule or Yakima have one that works.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It looks like Thule do make their range of roof racks for the GLA but unfortunately you won't be able to open your sunroof with them either.

I emailed Thule Australia to see if the would be releasing a line that would allow for the sunroof to open but unfortunately the answer was no :(

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just imagine if Merecedes made a rack for it that worked perfectly and met the needs of most folks. This is probably one of the best vehicles for them to do such a thing for.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I love my MB roof rack! ...But I don't have a sunroof ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any update on a fix for the roof rack issue? Picked up my GLA late December and only got around to installing the roof racks this week. Thought I had done something wrong because my roof wouldn't slide open. Took it to the dealer who wasted another two hours until I found this thread on the forum.
Really bummed about this outcome as I seriously would have reconsidered my purchase had I known about this flaw.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
If you read the instructions for mounting the roof rack it clearly states that you cannot open the sun roof with them installed.

I bought a set anyway to haul my road bike on. They base bars are easy to get on and off, less than 5 minutes. I prefer to remove mine unless I need them to both eliminate added wind noise and aero drag.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yes mine didn't open either, I did cut off the two rubber boots on the front part of the bars therefor allowing the roof to open part of the way :)

Reactions: ocnarfnivek

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone know what Thule rack works on the GLA? The cross bars..
I have the Yakima racks from my c-class and when I went to go get the new footing aparantly Yakima hasn't configured our vehicles yet. Something has to give though because it's almost time to attach my surfboard to something.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thule rack is terrific

From Thule Support-

Here are the two Thule Fits for your 2015 Mercedes GLA:

Aeroblades:

Thule Rapid Podium Foot Pack 460R (Thule Rapid Podium Foot Pack 460R - Thule)
Thule Aeroblade Load Bar Pair ARB47 (http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...hule-aeroblade-load-bar-pair-arb47-_-arb47999)
Fit Kit 4049

Square Bars:

Thule Podium Foot Pack 460 (Thule Podium Foot Pack 460 - Thule)
Thule 50 Inch Load Bar Pair LB50 (http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produ...-bars/thule-50-inch-load-bar-pair-lb50-_-3565)
Fit Kit 4049

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thule Rack - aerobars

I bought the Thule rack with the aerobars, it is terrific. No road noise, and low profile looks clean, and you can open the sunroof with no problems. IMO, so much better than the manufacturer option which I returned.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I bought the Thule rack with the aerobars, it is terrific. No road noise, and low profile looks clean, and you can open the sunroof with no problems..
That's what i wanted to hear, it's expensive but i think i will go for that and the yakima frontloader. Yes, i think fit kit 4049 is required for the aeroblade. I was about to order it from thule direct but they couldn't tell me if it would incur sales tax until after the order was placed which seems a little ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts