Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to leave my GLA up north for the winter and head south. The dealer tells me to avoid adding stabil to the gas. Anyone have advice as to what I should do, if anything to preserve the gas until I return in 4 months? I do us 90 octane that is ethanol free.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hi pressure fuel injectors (aka 'direct fuel injection') does not like additives such as Stabil. As Truthiness said having the car started up and taken of a spin is a very good idea. Plus make sure the fuel take is totally full since a partially full tank can allow for water condensation. Also, over inflate the tires about 5-7 lbs so as to minimize 'flat spotting'. Expect a dead battery unless you put it on a battery tender (such as Optima); 4 months is a long time to let a car sit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks... i do not have someone to drive it periodically, but was planning on filling the tank, over inflating the tires and purchased battery tender to keep a trickle charge while i am gone

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Would it make any sense to fill with E85 if it is available in your local?

Any water in the system eventually settles to a low spot. Gasoline additives for eliminating or preventing water accumulation, like Heet, are primarily ethanol. Ethanol mixes with water, but gasoline does not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts