Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So for my latest "details only Christine would ever notice" project, I removed the center console and put it all back together a little differently:
  • Removed the ashtray insert, moved the lens from it and put it in the outer tray, lined that outer tray with adhesive felt to fill in the holes and make it a soft bin for small things.
  • Removed the MMI plug and the USB plug.
  • Re-routed the USB to be up behind the glove box (easy to swap out if necessary, but I usually leave the same USB drive there all the time anyway)
  • Re-routed the MMI (which has an AUX/30-pin splitter for my older iPod and the Roadtop Carplay adapter) to be under the cup holder. The Aux cable is routed up under the console to the Roadtop box behind the dash and the iPod cable now comes out from under the console to under my seat where I have my iPod stashed.
  • Removed the rear ashtray and used the power from that to power a step-down from 12v to 5v USB port and plugged in a USB hub there. From there I have a lightning cable running under the console and out under my seat to power my newer iPod. I also ran a spare USB C out from under the console to under the passenger seat for when a passenger needs USB C for their phone.
  • Put magnetic catches on the console, with the metal plates glued to what used to be the rear ashtray cover so I could get in and out of that panel easily but it still looks stock
  • In the main storage area, I used a piece of plastic (from a DVD case) to cover up the holes where the MMI and USB plugs used to be and I covered that area with adhesive-backed felt
  • I added amber LED lights on that panel where the cables used to be
  • I added amber LED lights on the underside of the lid (both lights are powered from where the ashtray used to be)
  • I added a storage tray (and lined that with adhesive-backed felt)
So, I have maximized the usable space in that console bin (when devices and USB drives were plugged in there, I couldn't put that storage tray in and the iPods were taking up too much space there anyway). Granted, I probably only gained a few cubic inches from the two ashtray/storage bin modifications, but it is satisfying to know that I got everything possible out of the space and have no visible cables anywhere! Oh, and the lights in the console are pretty cool.

Photos attached.

Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle door Car
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Steering part
Automotive design Hood Trunk Automotive lighting Automotive exterior
Grille Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Automotive design Armrest Rectangle Luggage and bags Bag
Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Gas
Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting Bumper Amber
Car Vehicle Automotive design Steering part Personal luxury car

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
Really nicely done and very detailed, as always, Christine! :)

And although you may be the only one to much notice, still a source of well deserved pride. (y)

·
Registered
590 Posts
good job. I like your insert tray better than mine, it has good coin trays.

Another top tip, since I don't smoke in my car, I replaced the lighter with a flush mount dual USB converter. Still lets the door close but gives me 2x chargers for passenger use. They make them in every flavor from USB-A to USB-C and in between.

I keep a couple spare cables in the console for any potential need., lightning, micro, usb-c.

·
Registered
2015 GLA 4matic
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good job. I like your insert tray better than mine, it has good coin trays.

Another top tip, since I don't smoke in my car, I replaced the lighter with a flush mount dual USB converter. Still lets the door close but gives me 2x chargers for passenger use. They make them in every flavor from USB-A to USB-C and in between.

I keep a couple spare cables in the console for any potential need., lightning, micro, usb-c.
Thanks! I think it would be USB overkill if I put one of those round power adapters in the ashtray considering what I did for a phone mount (Mod for phone mount with power (replaced center vent...). The tray coin-holder needed felt lining, too, otherwise the rattling would have driven me nuttier than I already am. Now when I use few quarters for something I am reminded constantly to replace them!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts