Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the Sprint Booster for my 2015 GLA250 4matic....it arrives this Friday...anyone install one on their GLA yet?....I had one on my E Coupe350 and it totally changed the car, for the better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Curious how it works out for you, just checked out their website. Looking forward to results

Reactions: halcyon100

·
Registered
694 Posts
Never had one but heard a lot of great things, much like what you had to report on your E Coupe.

Do you do a lot of city driving?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do mixed...city and highway driving....I love the GLA but the peddle can feel odd sometimes...I'm hoping the Sprint Booster eliminates the delay (laziness) from the throttle like it did for my E Coupe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's an electrical device that plugs into your harness where it meets the gas peddle...very simple install...three settings....normal...green (faster throttle)....or red (quick throttle)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anything like this is not going to do squat for the GLA. I complained about throttle response to the dealership. They asked for a demonstration. So I turned on the car, pushed the pedal down to the floor and released it, as fast as I could. There was no appreciable response from the car. The engineer said, and I quote, "Of course the car does nothing. That is anomalous input. The computer is going to ignore it." When I pressed, and they asked what I expected it to do, I replied "Give me full throttle immediately, of course?!" and they looked at me like I was a martian or something. Of course this is exactly what happens on a Ford Focus -- you press the pedal and even as you are pressing it fast, the engine is throttling up. I told them this and they scoffed at me, telling me "This is no Ford, don't even make that comparison". No, it isn't. The Ford has much better throttle response :)

So MB "bakes in" a throttle delay to see if "you really mean it". I suppose this has something to do with wanting a "luxury" feel. Pressing the pedal faster -- either by actually doing so, or by diddling with the an amplifier on the throttle position sensor -- is going to do nothing about what the computer does with the resulting signal, and its built-in delay.

You need a bona fide "tune" to fix this. Not a plug-in module. A full-tilt ECU reflash. In short, this sucks.

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
bghart2003, please let us know your impressions after installing. I love my GLA, but the sluggish throttle response is a bit annoying.

Also where did you purchase? I have a 2015 GLA250 and I can't find SprintBooster online.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Found it online. Please let us know how you like the performance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update after installing the Sprint Booster.....Marvelous!!!...easy install...took me about a hour...you need to take the bottom panel out on the driver's side....then remove the gas peddle...unplug from the harness...the booster goes into the peddle plug then reattach to the harness....also has a remote button/cable....three settings, normal, green (more aggressive peddle), and red (quickest)....I absolutely love this device, I previously installed one on my E Coupe 350, totally transformed that car....in this case with the GLA it also totally transforms the peddle....now very quick, no lag, not "soft" anymore, and quite linear and progressive. I've tested all stages (green and red) and I prefer driving in E mode (without the stop/go function) with the booster in "Red"....very smooth shifting...in "Red" the throttle action is linear and immediate...no deed space anymore....in Sport or Manual, in "Red" the car launches quickly and aggressively....amazing...this device totally transformed the nature of the gas peddle and the quality of the shifting action....very quick and enjoyable.
(now in E mode, booster on "Red"...it shifts smoothly and quickly...quicker than in normal Sport mode)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have you heard any issues of this generating a CEL for the throttle sensor? I've seen a couple of mixed reviews in this regard. It sounds like an amazing device that will make the car what I hoped it would be.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I installed it Saturday....very easy...about a hour....dramatic improvement...no more delay in throttle peddle....very quick and smooth transitions....feels like it gained 50hp (no actual hp gains, just far easier to use the power and get it down...three settings (Normal, Green..quicker, Red...very quick throttle)...I tried all three settings....Green much improved in E, S, M....Red is awesome in E, S, M....I actually prefer car in E mode (start/stop feature turned off) with the booster in Red...much smoother than before (actually far, far, better) and now it runs harder than it did in standard Sport mode....I paid $289....money well spent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How easy is it to remove and does it leave a trace for the dealer to see/void your warranty with? My biggest problem with the pedal is it requires just the right precise touch of feathering + flooring at every stop light; not enough and I drive like grandma, too much and I get a jerky start or act like I was trying to drag race the guy next to me. If I'm not on my game, I won't pull away from a stop light like a normal person. How is the consistency? Same pressure on pedal gets same result every time?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
...no warranty issues with Sprint Booster...guaranteed...does not change the engine's management system at all....only the throttle (gas peddle)....I still find the peddle to be slightly sensitive as before, but now much more linear and progressive...I usually start off somewhat conscious of the gas peddle but my experience so far with the booster is that it's well worth the money and dramatically changes the "feel" and the operation of the throttle...I would recommend to anyone that drives a GLA or CLA
(p.s. I never get that "dead" feeling or hesitance anymore)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...plus I bought a set of polished stainless door lock pins to replace those unsightly plastic ones...new ones are about 3/4" shorter and greatly improves the look...took about 15 minutes to install...I acquired then from eBay...they now look like a Mercedes item

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm not a fan of the dead pedal feel, the hesitation, and touchiness when it initially gets moving. So you say it fixes 2 of those 3 problems and at least makes the touchiness more predictable? How long did you have it installed on your other MB? My hesitation is a few random stories I've seen in other forums where this device screwed up something like the throttle control.

I also did the steel pin swap and that was huge - made it possible for me to rest my arm on the window.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Where did you thread the wire and put the SprintBooster controller? Is there a good way to hide it, and do you feel there is a risk you could snag your foot on the wire and rip it out? If you could, please post a pic of your install.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts