Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have the panoramic sunroof can please post pictures/vids with the panoramic roof open all the way?

cant seem to find any for the GLA (found some for CLA but their roof are different) google search is turning up empty

only one i found online was a computer generated one from mb

Pics of the car from the out side with full open please.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
136 Posts
We have the pano roof and LOVE it! We also rarely open the roof (never, so far), but just letting in more light opens up the car and makes it feel much bigger than it is. The sun shade keeps it nice and cool and still more light than without. We drove for hours this summer in 107ºF heat with the shade closed and stayed nice and cool.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. I won't buy a car without a sunroof and I will open it every chance I get. Thankfully I live in a great climate for it, or at least for half the year. I also rarely use the air conditioning, but a friend of mine rolls with AC all year long. Yes, even in winter. I gave up trying to have that conversation years ago. This is why these things are options and have on/off buttons.

·
Registered
136 Posts
the AC is on all year for us, but of course we live in sunny, warm, southern California! But seriously, even for you cold weather folks, the defroster works much better with the AC on. It's called "air conditioner", not "air cooler" for a reason!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the very helpful photos! Although I test drove a 2015 and pre-ordered a 2016 with sun/moonroof, I did not have time to tinker with it. I did not know how far it completely opened until now. I have a question though, and if anyone can share photos, I would appreciate it: when completely closed, will the sunroof's shades and stuff be able to keep the sunlight and heat away completely? Not a deal breaker but I'm worried about migraine attacks from very bright and hot Southern Cali sunlight in the summer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the very helpful photos! ...I would appreciate it: when completely closed, will the sunroof's shades and stuff be able to keep the sunlight and heat away completely? Not a deal breaker but I'm worried about migraine attacks from very bright and hot Southern Cali sunlight in the summer.
Tigerflip, I'm in FL where it's been in the 90's EVERYDAY for the past 4 months, and surprisingly, the thin sunshades keeps the light and heat out extremely well!!

Also, with the sunshades open, the car really feels much bigger, open and inviting... I think the sunroof is a wonderful asset more so for the sensation of openness and airiness it provides (with the sunshades open and sunroof closed), than the mediocre "open-air" feel with the sunroof actually open... Could not imagine having the GLA without this option!

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a question though, and if anyone can share photos, I would appreciate it: when completely closed, will the sunroof's shades and stuff be able to keep the sunlight and heat away completely?
Depends on what you mean by "completely". It's definitely not a blackout shade, but it does keep the car much darker and cooler with the shade closed. It's a light color so some light transmits, but not much. More like a slight translucence than a direct light. I'd snap a pic for you, but it's a very dark grey day today.
I've used it while driving across 100+ degree desert, and it worked great. Between the window tint and the shade you can keep the car pretty cool. The one thing I wish it could do is keep the sunroof open in the vent position with the shade closed. That's how I used to park my old C class on really hot days and it worked great at keeping it cool.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
From memory i think they had trouble with the glass roof at one stage and it caused a hold up in production so maybe they changed design on the GLA
That news item on shattering MB roofs and a couple other internet perspectives on sun/pano roofs was actually what swayed us away from ordering it. We had our doubts that we'd use it based on almost no use of sunroofs in 6 or so cars we've owned that had it. The other things that concerned me were the interior canvas cover and how it would wear over time, and MB's own brochure photo of the pano roof open with the baffle or wind deflector sticking up...didn't seem very sharp looking relative to the sporty image of the GLA. That was my opinion mostly, my bride did not want the pano roof at all. She won.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.