Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Will this setup also fit Gla45 Edition 1 (2015)? We have the same specs for the wheel, right?

I'm also looking for the donut spare tire, how ever I prefer it non space safer, due to the road condition in my country I don't want to risk having another hole in the spare tire also.

I did got a flat tire (wall teared) months ago and it was terrible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found you post quite helpful SSBGLA45, and used it to accomplish the same objective albeit somewhat differently. I duplicated everything except the choice of spare wheel.

I am interested in avoiding needing to connect the air pump, wait for the tire to inflate while in a roadside emergency breakdown situation. I want to able to jack the car up, pull the flat, install the spare, torque it down and get back on the road as quickly as possible much like would be done with a full size spare tire. This is important to me especially in bad weather or dangerous road locations.

That's why I purchased off eBay a temporary "donut" type of spare tire (shown pictured) that is narrow and is carried fully inflated. I chose a temporary 19"AMG rim with a 155/70R19 tire taken from a 2007-2013 CL63, S63 AMG or S600. This particular spare is an excellent match for the OEM 20" AMG wheel from the GLA45 except in width (about 6") and of course the limited performance and use for which it was designed. This spare will provide me with enough use to get me to a safe location and a means to repair the 20" OEM tire.

Clearance of the brake calipers, suspension members and underbody using this donut spare on the GLA45 is excellent. It fits in the back of the GLA250/45 AMG nicely, consumes less space than the larger inflatable spare (or full size rim), and can be carried face down condition, allowing additional storage within the wheel rim itself if need be.

Like you, I also purchased and carry five of the longer lug bolts in 14x1.5x40mm (ball seat type) specification for mounting the thicker hub of temporary spare wheel. I also carry a breaker bar with 17mm socket in place of the feeble lug wrench that comes with the spare packet kit.

I prefer the added ride comfort of fully pneumatic tires, the lower expense and inconvenience that they offer over run-flats for my GLA45 AMG. If I get into a flat tire situation while on the road I want to be able to take care of it quickly and with as little delay and fuss as possible.

Boot.JPG Rear 8942.JPG frontmount.JPG

Thanks so much for your helpful post SSBGLA45!

41 - 42 of 42 Posts