Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
While you have the wheels off, I suggest you apply "never seize" to both the hub pilot and the rim. I did that when rotating my tires last weekend.

Over time the interface between the hub and the alloy rim can corrode, potentially locking the wheel on the hub. When that happens it can take significant force to get the wheel off. I wouldn't relish the thought of having to do that on the roadside with the car supported on a jack. You might be able to get a seized wheel to break free by loosening the lug bolts and rolling the vehicle, but that would be a last resort due to the potential for damaging the wheel, lug bolts, or hub.

·
Registered
2 Posts
SSBGLA-45, you've done amazing job. Your post came especially timely for me after running a flat tire and being towed in the middle of a night. Painfully, my GLA45 was not equipped with a spare tire. TireFit didn't help me, because my sidewall was impacted.Needless to say I didn't have jack either.
So, now I am trying to procure a spare tire and MB is not very helpful. They proposing 3 different approaches: (a) get SL-63 20'' space saver (part number #2224000700 , corresponding screws # 0009905407) for MSRP of $850;
(b) as stated in GLA catalogue published Australia get 19" space saver #2124004200 without screws for MSRP of $750; (3) have a full rim (# 1564010400) with a tire, which would cost me around $600.
After reading this forum thread I see that there is another option, so brilliantly executed by SSBGLA45 and I honestly lost. If someone else went through the same painful process of getting spare tire for GLA45, may be you can share how did you go about it. Meanwhile, I have a question to SSBGLA45: "Can you please describe to non-technical person where and how did you obtain proper lug.bolts on your projects?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Rusty35… thank you for your generous comments!

Concerning the lug bolts… MB vehicles used both 12mm and 14mm lug bolts until around 2008 and then (I think it was around MY all went to 14mm x 1.5 pitch with varying lengths and all with ball seats. In the case of the GLA, the length (again MB uses the overall bolt length) is 49mm and when I pre-fited one OEM lug bolt onto the spare tire I could easily see it was too short. I simply measured how much more thread I would need and added that length to the OEM bolt length and thus the 64mm length required. It was confusing at first looking at replacement bolts since most manufacturers note the shaft length in their product descriptions…MB seems to be one of the odd ones on how they describe the OEM bolts noting overall length.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Merry Christmas to everyone! SSBGLA45- what were the parts numbers for spare wheel/tire you were quoted by the dealer? Trying the nail the correct item.
General question: if my tires are size 19'', will spare with size 175/55/ 17'' will fit my car?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Merry Christmas to you!

The part number for the compact spare I got is A1644012702, but that is for the ML65 part that I got. Do not know the part number for the GLA version.

17" spare tire… if you have a GLA45 then 'no' and if you have a GLA250 a qualified 'yes' depending on the offset that is for the OEM wheels that come with the car (the 250 and 45 have different offset requirements)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi SSBGLA45- really creative fix to the non-RFT conversion. You hit the trifecta- fits wheel, fits trunk cavity, and far and away the most economical I've seen- I'd like to replicate for a '16 GLC300. Like you I will have to find a suitable match from an alternate MB model spare. The one crucial variable I can't seem to lock down with specs is clearing the front caliper with my sport package set up. ie. the minimum dimension from hub face to the spoke inner face to keep from fouling the caliper. Not really the offset, and of course the spoke inner face will have its own geometry on any given wheel, ie. not really a comparable datum anyway. You'd have had the same issue with your AMG equipment- was there a way you could positively confirm in advance that the ML63 spare would clear your caliper?- or maybe coming from an AMG vehicle you were confident it would clear yours too?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The space save alloy has the correct offset and barrel diameter along with the alloy 'spokes' having correct dimension too, so yes all clears the large AMG brake caliper. No issues.... Also alloy clearance only has to be by the credit card rule...if you can slip a credit card between the caliper and alloy then you good...in this case the clearance was 3 credit cards>>>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks! I've located an AMG spare off an '07 S65, 155/70 R19 113M and I think it's within driving distance so I'm planning on taking my vehicle over and do a fit up. It's a different part no. A2214013002 but seems common to S63/65s and possibly CL63s/E63s for '07-'14 MYs. Will update after. The inflatable tires are reasonably available? The one on the rim would be 10 years old by now if original, and has seen some use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have no space for a spare - but looks like a good idea. This is my first car without a spare - hope I never get stuck somewhere! How much approx did you spend? might be good for times I travel up north.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
How much approx did you spend?

The cost for the tools (jack etc), lug bolts, and space saver tire with alloy was in the $550 range. You can get a new OEM space save spare from MB, but it runs about $750 and then you will still need to get the tools.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your mods look really well put together and definitely good timing for me too! I think a lot of people are going to want to know how to have the same setup in their cars considering the convenience they stand to gain with this. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Do you have a link to where you got the stud pilot tool? I'd like one of these for when I rotate the tires! Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Do you have a link to where you got the stud pilot tool? I'd like one of these for when I rotate the tires! Thanks...
I bought six of these from my dealer. Two to hide under the back (which often is not easily accessible) for possible road service and four for my tool drawers so I don't have to take them out and move them back and forth during rotations. I use two per wheel so the wheel can't rotate and hit the caliper.

They were fairly cheap.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

I purchased a set of two from Amazon.com Thexton 499 Wheel Stud Pilot Pin. Whatever/where ever you purchase make sure it is a 14mm size (not 12mm). Cost (for two) was about $25.

Reactions: Red Rock

·
Registered
249 Posts
I bought six of these from my dealer. Two to hide under the back (which often is not easily accessible) for possible road service and four for my tool drawers so I don't have to take them out and move them back and forth during rotations. I use two per wheel so the wheel can't rotate and hit the caliper.

They were fairly cheap.

I purchased a set of two from Amazon.com Thexton 499 Wheel Stud Pilot Pin. Whatever/where ever you purchase make sure it is a 14mm size (not 12mm). Cost (for two) was about $25.
Thank you both! A set of two my be perfect, one in the glovebox with my lug lock and one in my tool box. Just curious @Wayne, what was the price per item from the dealer? Just curious if your dealer was cheaper than Amazon?

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Just pulled out my history document to verify ... the dealer charged me $6 US each. I highly recommend using two.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Okay, more questions. Where is the best place to put the jacks to rotate the tires? I'm planning on getting two jacks so I can lift the front and rear tires off the ground and do the swap front to rear, then do the other side. I'm looking at getting two 1.5 ton scissor jacks. From the picture at the beginning of this thread, it appears the jack just has a flat rectangle piece that contacts the car, as opposed to the type that have the slot for the pinch weld. So, I'm curious if there is some document out there that shows exact placement of the jack for the front and rear of the GLA? Thanks...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Here is a link for the 2016 (is the same for a 2015) owners manual.... go to pages 364-66>>>

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/service_and_parts/owners_manuals#!year=2016&class=GLA-Class

Besides the jacks you will need two jack stands...never rely of on holding up a vehicle using jacks only. Also, unless you simply want to own (which I fully understand!) the jacks and jack stands, it would be easier to take to a good local shop and have them rotate the tires...should cost about $40 instead of ~$250-$300 for the jacks/jack stands

·
Registered
156 Posts
I often use two trolley jacks, a big one for front & a small one on rear, I don't use stands for swapping wheels as I'm NOT putting myself under he car.
I most certainly DO use stands if I am putting any part of me under under the vehicle.
Jacks can fail so NEVER trust it!

I bought a couple of these for the trolley jacks, they fit into the GLA jacking points.
MERCEDES BENZ JACKING PAD MERC JACK BLOCK SILL PROTECTION MB CAR SERVICE TOOL | eBay

Reactions: Right_mr

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too came across this thread after getting a flat and having to use the Mercedes Fix a tire kit. It did get me home but like you guys got me thinking about the potential to be stranded middle of nowhere in the Arizona heat.
This is a great write up.
I managed to source the same Wheel/Tire combination as you Mercedes part from an ML63. The tire that is on it 185/65-R19 is too big. Since yours came from an ML63, did you changed yours to another Collapsible tire? If yes, what tire size and where did you purchase yours from?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts