Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got the Modern Spare kit today, and I am some what surprised at the quality of it. The lug wrench was 1/2 inch to the two sockets not the cheaper 3/8 inch. The jack was super nice, wrapped in bubble wrap. So after taking a pic I put it all back as it was shipped.

I can highly recommend this kit! View attachment 25630
Got the Modern Spare kit today, and I am some what surprised at the quality of it. The lug wrench was 1/2 inch to the two sockets not the cheaper 3/8 inch. The jack was super nice, wrapped in bubble wrap. So after taking a pic I put it all back as it was shipped.

I can highly recommend this kit! View attachment 25630
Brasse, great pics! Thank you for the informative posts. Question: does your modern spare fit in the storage compartment under the floor of your GLA 250?

·
Super Moderator
554 Posts
While you're waiting for Brasse ....

As you probably know, if you have the Harman Kardon audio system option there is no room for a spare under the rear floor panel.

Brasse, great pics! Thank you for the informative posts. Question: does your modern spare fit in the storage compartment under the floor of your GLA 250?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So two months ago bought a 2019 polar white GLA 250 4 matic demonstrator for MB dealer. Over the last 20 years owned a whole bunch of Mercedes vehicles, and with them a few flat tires, one even shredded. Big issue in Lost Wages is most tires start falling apart after 3-4 years in the 115 degree heat. I usually buy the best W rated summer ultra high performance tires, they still only last 3 to4 years.

Still have a lot of tools from various MB's, like tool kits, wheel hanger pins in both 12 and 14 mm and some lug wrenches. Didn't want to rob anything form my other 3 MB's so went to eBay. One thing I learned is one wheel hanger pin is OK, having 2 makes changing the heavy tires MUCH easier.

So I ordered 2 aluminum 14 x 1.5 wheel hanger pins for $16 shipped.
Also ordered a Mercedes Heyco 17mmlug wrench from an A120 for $18 shipped. I am hoping it is a couple inches longer than my lug wrenches for my C230 and CLK350.

Still looking for a Jack, not even going for any ML jacks. They lift from an angle and you are praying the bottom doesn't shift. The scissors jacks are much safer, don't really want a super cheap one from Communist China. Looks like the R350 and the ML350 scissors jacks will do nicely. Just waiting for a good price.

Since I have 18 inch run flat wheels, looking for a ML 18 inch spare tire, hoping for one with an aluminum forged spare wheel and relatively new tire.
Anyone know what spare tires will fit the GLA250 (non AMG) ???
Thank you for link. I was curious under this thread, as specific posting regarding the Modern Spare were being made. Has anyone done a road test with a Modern Spare on? Thanks for the pictures above of the unboxing.
Can we just buy old spare from C300? it's 1" smaller but for temporary i think 1" smaller still acceptable no?

·
Super Moderator
554 Posts
Of course you can, presuming it's the same lugbolt pattern. Unless you carry a spare that's an exact rim/tire match to the on-road set it's a compromised emergency driving situation anyway, meaning you don't expect the same performance (consider the effect of a "donut" type spare). So you'll be fine, as long as you're reasonably cautious until you can replace the flat tire.

Can we just buy old spare from C300? it's 1" smaller but for temporary i think 1" smaller still acceptable no?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So two months ago bought a 2019 polar white GLA 250 4 matic demonstrator for MB dealer. Over the last 20 years owned a whole bunch of Mercedes vehicles, and with them a few flat tires, one even shredded. Big issue in Lost Wages is most tires start falling apart after 3-4 years in the 115 degree heat. I usually buy the best W rated summer ultra high performance tires, they still only last 3 to4 years.

Still have a lot of tools from various MB's, like tool kits, wheel hanger pins in both 12 and 14 mm and some lug wrenches. Didn't want to rob anything form my other 3 MB's so went to eBay. One thing I learned is one wheel hanger pin is OK, having 2 makes changing the heavy tires MUCH easier.

So I ordered 2 aluminum 14 x 1.5 wheel hanger pins for $16 shipped.
Also ordered a Mercedes Heyco 17mmlug wrench from an A120 for $18 shipped. I am hoping it is a couple inches longer than my lug wrenches for my C230 and CLK350.

Still looking for a Jack, not even going for any ML jacks. They lift from an angle and you are praying the bottom doesn't shift. The scissors jacks are much safer, don't really want a super cheap one from Communist China. Looks like the R350 and the ML350 scissors jacks will do nicely. Just waiting for a good price.

Since I have 18 inch run flat wheels, looking for a ML 18 inch spare tire, hoping for one with an aluminum forged spare wheel and relatively new tire.
Anyone know what spare tires will fit the GLA250 (non AMG) ???
Hello,
have you found a Jack yet? i've been looking around and havent found one for the GLA. Could you provide me a link if you found a jack?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
554 Posts
The following comes up when you enter MY2018 GLA 250 and "Mercedes jack."
And again, keep in mind that if you have the H-K audio system there is no space under the rear cover for a donut spare tire and possibly not a jack either.

edit: there’s plenty of room for the jack and related lug wrench even with the H-K components beneath the rear cover. No room under there for a spare however.

Hello,
have you found a Jack yet? i've been looking around and havent found one for the GLA. Could you provide me a link if you found a jack?
Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I am surprised after two years of GLA45 posting not one person shared using a Mercedes spare for us poor GLA250 owners. I have everything except the tire and wheel. Looking at what I think will cover it even if I upgrade to non run flat 19 inch tires. Made a trip two weeks ago, nothing. Yesterday wife drove 2 miles to Walgreens and came back with zero air pressure on the drivers side rear. Looks like a one inch hole with tread gone and into the casing. So after $303 I have a new rear run flat 18 inch. So spent dozens of hours on eBay, finally settled on a 07-12 Mercedes X164 GL450 GL550 Donut Spare Tire Wheel Rim 165 90 19" OEM. Cost was only $138 shipped, so in a week I will try fitting this spare. Since it is a steel rim I may have to use shorter lug nuts, I have a lot of them in a box. Potentially two problems, the deflated diameter and the inflated diameter. I think both will be OK MB part number
A1644000102

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
OK, the stock 235/50/R18 tires have a 27.3 inch diameter. Looking at Tire Rack, the 155/70/R19 has a 27.5" Dia and the 175/60/R19 has a dia of 27.3" so both will work. Best I could find the 165/90/19 diameter as 30.69". So much larger but still could be used for a few miles in emergency. Don't know how old the spare is, might replace it if the wheel works.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Dummys shipped the spare fully inflated and poor USPS lady couldn't lift it. So maybe tomorrow.
Cleaned out trunk, found out this obstruction holding the tow device. Laid out the tools I purchased last year.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts