Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So two months ago bought a 2019 polar white GLA 250 4 matic demonstrator for MB dealer. Over the last 20 years owned a whole bunch of Mercedes vehicles, and with them a few flat tires, one even shredded. Big issue in Lost Wages is most tires start falling apart after 3-4 years in the 115 degree heat. I usually buy the best W rated summer ultra high performance tires, they still only last 3 to4 years.

Still have a lot of tools from various MB's, like tool kits, wheel hanger pins in both 12 and 14 mm and some lug wrenches. Didn't want to rob anything form my other 3 MB's so went to eBay. One thing I learned is one wheel hanger pin is OK, having 2 makes changing the heavy tires MUCH easier.

So I ordered 2 aluminum 14 x 1.5 wheel hanger pins for $16 shipped.
Also ordered a Mercedes Heyco 17mmlug wrench from an A120 for $18 shipped. I am hoping it is a couple inches longer than my lug wrenches for my C230 and CLK350.

Still looking for a Jack, not even going for any ML jacks. They lift from an angle and you are praying the bottom doesn't shift. The scissors jacks are much safer, don't really want a super cheap one from Communist China. Looks like the R350 and the ML350 scissors jacks will do nicely. Just waiting for a good price.

Since I have 18 inch run flat wheels, looking for a ML 18 inch spare tire, hoping for one with an aluminum forged spare wheel and relatively new tire.
Anyone know what spare tires will fit the GLA250 (non AMG) ???

·
Super Moderator
1,620 Posts
Check this post ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been through that post a dozen times. Different size tires, pretty sure MB sold a hundred GLA250's for every GLA45.

So I need to know what spare tire will fit the GLA250 4 matic such as ML350 18x4 Spare Tire Oem or 06-12 Mercedes R350 R500 R320 W251 18" 195/75 Emergency Spare Tire Wheel Rim ?? Offset needs to be correct.

·
Super Moderator
1,620 Posts
I believe the 250 and 45 share the same lug pattern. Offsets should be the same (or at least interchangeable) since both models share the same fenders. The brakes on the 45 are larger so some 250 wheels won't fit on the 45 but all 45 wheels should fit on the 45.

So we are down to tire diameters. If you are 2 wheel drive this doesn't matter (in the case of a front flat put the spare on the back and move the back to the front).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There must be someone who has purchased a spare tire for a GLA 250. Been around for a while

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Found a cool place with a lot of the equipment needed. Modern Spare

2013-2020 Mercedes GLA Class Accessory-Only Kit - Modern Spare only $39 for
  • Durable, low profile 3000 LB scissor jack designed specifically for your Mercedes
  • Unique ratcheting jack handle makes raising your car a breeze
  • Telescoping, breaker-bar style lug wrench with sockets to fit four different bolt/nut sizes (17MM (11/16”), 19MM (¾”), 21MM (13/16”), 22MM (⅞”)

This one includes everything including a new spare tire and wheel. 2013-2020 Mercedes GLA Class Spare Tire Kit. Light, Space Saver

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 135/80-18 KUMHO 121 BSW Tire is only $86 and the Perelli T135/80R18 from Tire Rack $119 wonder if I can find the aluminum multi use wheel?

·
Super Moderator
303 Posts
The GLA is the first vehicle we've ever had with run flats (19") and contrary to expectations we don't find them appreciably louder nor less comfortable than non-run flats. Also nice not to have to consider using a spare. But then we're semi-urban and presumably long desert drives are more secure with a spare aboard?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am used to 300-400 mile trips, the 4-matic has a larger gas tank, an extra 1.6 gallons. I am OK with the run flat tires for now, but will probably replace them with better designed non run flats. I have heard the run flats don't last as long. Normally I like to go with bigger tires like the GLA 45 has, but then I normally go with summer only W rated ultra high performance tires. Kind of defeats the purpose of the 4 wheel drive. But there are still a lot of 18 inch high performance all season tires.

Modern Spare sure ships fast, getting the $39 kit tomorrow, only 3 days from order date.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Got the Modern Spare kit today, and I am some what surprised at the quality of it. The lug wrench was 1/2 inch to the two sockets not the cheaper 3/8 inch. The jack was super nice, wrapped in bubble wrap. So after taking a pic I put it all back as it was shipped.

I can highly recommend this kit!

·
Super Moderator
303 Posts
Yes, it really is a "breaker bar" type rather than an ol' school "lug wrench" type.

Benz may cost more, but in part because they do provide high quality parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I now have 2 Heyco wrenches, the older 120 is slightly more beefy than the CLK350 version. They each have a different bend. Going to test on the GLA, I usually like a lug wrench/breaker bar with a angle close to 90 degrees. The ones with smaller angles tend to slip off and not transfer the torque as well. There is a valid reason for the lug wrench with 4 tips two of which are at 90 degrees to the main shaft. Also got some wheel chocks.

Would like to get a GLA 250 spare tire and wheel, but not for the $399 listed on eBay.

·
Super Moderator
1,620 Posts
I carry a half inch breaker bar / torque wrench with 3 inch extension and socket. Also disposable gloves and anti seize paste with rags and a plastic bag (for waste).

For reference ... The 45 gets 85 pound feet. The Porsche is 118. The F250 is 135. In other words, know each car's needs.

If you use a torque wrench make sure you dial it back to 0 when you're done so the spring doesn't sack (necessary for the more common wrenches).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got the two aluminum 14 x 1.5 wheel hanger pins. But they were steel and in many ways better than the MB versions. Biggest thing is the non threaded end has heavy knurling, which really helps when removing them with the weight of the tire and wheel on them. They are also slightly longer than the MB versions, again that helps when putting the wheels on.

·
Super Moderator
1,620 Posts
Once you've used these you'll never want to be without them. I've got a pair in the car for road repair and another pair in my MB tool drawer in the garage. I get both sets out for tire rotations. This makes tire rotation a breeze.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Howdy, by chance has anyone else purchased and tried the Modern Spare kit (including wheel/tire) for GLA250 with 18 in wheels? Does it seem like it will fit well wheel well/brakes and suffice in a pinch? Thank you for any insight or experience you might have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for link. I was curious under this thread, as specific posting regarding the Modern Spare were being made. Has anyone done a road test with a Modern Spare on? Thanks for the pictures above of the unboxing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts