Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to document this since I read up many previous posts about the Spaccer lift kits for the GLA but didn't find the "after" side. After adding a tow hitch, bike rack, and subwoofer to my 2016 GLA45 I didn't like that my car no longer sat level, ass was sagging slightly. Front ride height was ~715 mm and rear was ~700 mm measured to the fender. After a bit more reading I took the $200 chance. After measuring the spring location in relation to the tire along the lower control arm my trigonometry supported that the 12mm spacer would be about right, but got the additional +3mm rubber bumper just in case.

Installation was very straight forward. I was initially tempted to try and use a spring compressor to put them in without dropping the control arm but decided to just drop it, I've wasted too many hours in the past trying to compress springs in place. It's just two bolts to drop the arm down and put the spacer in, so it turned out to be the right choice, only took my a couple hours for both sides.

Results are perfect, car is just about totally level now. After a couple days the front and rear has settled at pretty close to 718/719 mm. $200 may seem like a lot for spacers but they are extremely high quality aluminum pieces that fit perfectly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’ve done this a few times on my Camaro and it’s not too difficult after you do it once but it can be very dangerous if you don’t chain the spring to the car chassis or frame!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any good way to get similar ground clearance to a 250 on the 45s?
I didn't do an exhaustive search but you could probably get more lift from the Spaccer kits by adding multiple of them. I originally found the Spaccer brand from another post from a guy who had mobility issues and wanted to raise the GLA45 to make it easier to get into. He never posted his results though. I did not do the calculation on the website for the max you can put in. I think we end up being limited by the active damper total stroke. I wouldn't want to remove them personally, and I'm not sure what the limit of the alignment to correct for a lift is. If you felt like doing some digging you could probably find out if the PN's are the same between the 250 and 45.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for posting - I have the exact same dilemma, having installed a tow hitch. The darn hitch is pretty heavy itself, so the rear sags without anything on the hitch, and really sags when towing. Nice write up, I think I'll now follow suit.
For those looking at us who installed a hitch as crazy - it's the exact reason I bought the car - love the utility of the hatchback / wagon style, ability to tow, and having a real sports car in disguise! (badge delete on the back helps with this)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts