·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some new additions & subtractions... :)
-LED Benz emblem
-Muffler delete
-CLA250 Sport package front rotors
(I plan on painting the calipers & adding a Benz decal)
-Hide-a-Plate license plate mount

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll upload some sound videos sometime this weekend.

The muffler on the CLA/GLA is a strange thing... it is HORRIBLY restrictive. the diameter of the piping inside of the muffler decreases down to about 1-inch!!!!! So restrictive, that I actually picked up power with the delete! I pulled even harder from my wife's GLA250 than before and I can even chirp the tires now. (I still do not have the C-Tronic installed yet.)

Here's what I find strange about the muffler: All that restriction, and yet DELETING the muffler is only a TINY bit louder and deeper. But what is FANTASTIC, is that it's not raspy or annoying. It has the perfect slight bump in sound that makes it more engaging to drive. You will all be pretty shocked how subtle this mod is. Also, it removed a nice chunk of useless weight from the back of the car. Less weight = more power ;)

The other thing I love is that the exhaust now pops and crackles sometimes. Nothing like the AMG car, but still nice. Dual-clutch shifts sound really aggressive too.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also forgot to mention, I added 15mm spacers to the rear. I will post pics of that soon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Very interested in hearing how this sounds. The videos I've seen on youtube about muffler deletes for the CLA makes it sound like a Civic...

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very interested in hearing how this sounds. The videos I've seen on youtube about muffler deletes for the CLA makes it sound like a Civic...
I just perused all the CLA muffler delete videos, and all of them sound like they also cut out the resonator. They 'say' it's only a muffler delete, but now... I don't believe them. I'll do my best to post a video soon.

The resonator-delete sounds awful. It's very loud. My deleted muffler sounds barely louder than stock, but just loud enough so I can hear my revs rise & fall for manual shifting. (and fun lol)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Can you give a little review on how you mounted the hide the plate? Auto or manual?

Was it difficult? How long did it take?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I apologize I have been a bit indisposed this weekend. Work issues.

I promise to keep the thread moving and to add sound clips and pics soon!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's the first lit up Benz emblem that I've seen that I think looks good. Great job on all your mods so far.
Thanks! When I first heard about the lighted emblem, I really thought it would look horribly ostentatious! But after seeing one on my neighbors' new E63 coupe, I realized it is a very 'subtle' lighting, and it just ever-so-slightly leaks light from behind the emblem. Works great as a DRL, especially if you do not have them. My headlights are the standard HALOGENs, but I replaced with Philips diamond-vision at the suggestion of another awesome GLA-owner on the forum. I've had zero problems with them so far and they look just like HID's. They aren't quite as 'blue' as the picture, but that is how they translate in the photo. A bit over-saturated.

Hide-a-plate install is easy. Pull off the skid plate from underneath the car, test fit for clearance with the plate mount fully extended over the bumper, mark the spots you need to drill. Drill through, use all the mounting hardware, bolt the screws to the opposite side of the skid plate, and then just put the whole skid plate with attached plate holder on.

Just get underneath the car and check for yourself, you'll see there's a couple of options on how you want to mount it. I highly recommend coating everything in rust-repellent as well.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did a really quick video of outside the car and then inside. I will take some time to do a drive-by and full-throttle soon.

WEAR HEADPHONES WHEN YOU LISTEN TO THIS. The majority of sound difference comes from lower frequencies, so your laptop or phone will not give much of an impression without headphones. The increase in sound is very subtle. When cruising on the interstate it's almost completely stock-sounding until you step on it.

http://youtu.be/inXqkG6LEoI

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And this is why I did not do a resonator delete. The sound is not as smooth.
Here it is on someone's CLA250: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IZwQ4BQYS0

One thing to remember is that turbos in-fact work like little mufflers, so even with a full exhaust setup, the 2.0T is not going to sound as intolerable as a Civic.

But it can get loud, if any of you have seen the Armytrix A250 setup on youtube.

Also, you may have noticed, I do not have the Forge blowoff valve installed in my video I posted in my other reply, it will be installed later this week. I will have clips of that too.

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How did you do the Emblem?
Bought the actual part from Benz. ~$350-$400

Very easy to install. Just wire into your parking light/DRL wire.

Do not buy an aftermarket piece, they look terrible. The OEM version is subtle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bought the actual part from Benz. ~$350-$400

Very easy to install. Just wire into your parking light/DRL wire.

Do not buy an aftermarket piece, they look terrible. The OEM version is subtle.
okay thanks for the info! I might have to do that

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just arrived

Reactions: ZomZom

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Love the CF side mirrors. Is it actual CF or is it just a wrap that is meant to look like CF?
Real carbon. From JP Carbon

·
Registered
23 Posts
How much work is it to delete a muffler? Could you provide your steps?

MB configurator says illuminated star is not compatible with parktronic which I'm getting Do you think it is still doabale as diy?

·
Registered
81 Posts
First mod - new carbon fiber AMG valve stem caps. WHOOP! :)

Just de-badged the rear hatch - removed the GLA250 and 4MATIC badges after detailing the car. Looks much cleaner. (pictures to follow tomorrow)

Next up are the AMG pedal covers and AMG stainless steel door lock pins (plastic OEM pieces are ridiculously cheap).

I'm seriously considering the AMG grille. Local Mercedes certified body shop quoted a price of only $140 to remove the bumper cover (why so complicated Mercedes?) and install the grille.

I'm really interested in Boris' Carlson tune.

Stay tuned!

Reactions: Boris_Balkan
1 - 20 of 41 Posts