Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to the poster who alerted me to Dynamat. I have done a lot of research and concluded that sound dampening will be the answer I need. I just got back from an installer and I have to say I am impressed with the work they do. Once we have the GLA, these guys will gut the interior and do a complete interior make over. The door panels get Dynamat on the inside surface of the exterior metal and another barrier on the surface next to the cabin. Floors, ceiling, fire wall, under the hood and most importantly the wheel wells get Dynamat . For the floors there will be an additional 3/8" layer of B-Quiet's V-Comp. B-Quiet | B-Quiet® Vcomp.

Here is a link to more photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.223307594391101.61423.119925684729293&type=3

It is ironic that this technology has advanced primarily to serve the boom box boyz. This stuff is used mostly to improve audio quality for car stereos. Most of the the consumer reviews I have read reference improved fidelity with little concern for a quiet ride. Thanks to the chumps who are voluntarily inducing hearing loss, Grumpy Old Men with Hearing Loss (me) can benefit. :)

The plan is to do my truck first. Pictures and sound level readings to follow.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very cool, happy to see this!

Floors in German cars can be tough. My last Audi didn't have enough clearance under the carpet to put anything down, will see on the GLA when it arrives next week.

May I ask, which install shop did you go to? Did they quote a labor price?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the shop I use is here in Eugene, Oregon...Brad's Car Tunes. No price yet on the GLA, since I won't have the vehicle until next year. They will give me a quote on my 2008 GMC Sierra tomorrow. I can post pictures and prices here if anyone is interested. I plan to do before and after dB readings as well. I am also changing out the tires on my pickup to get a quieter ride. Of course the very first thing I will do with the GLA is ditch the flippin' run flats.

Very cool, happy to see this!

Floors in German cars can be tough. My last Audi didn't have enough clearance under the carpet to put anything down, will see on the GLA when it arrives next week.

May I ask, which install shop did you go to? Did they quote a labor price?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yea I am very interested in this but it really depends on how much it is going to be costing in the end. Are we thinking in the hundreds, or do you think it will be over $1,000?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks to the poster who alerted me to Dynamat. I have done a lot of research and concluded that sound dampening will be the answer I need. I just got back from an installer and I have to say I am impressed with the work they do. Once we have the GLA, these guys will gut the interior and do a complete interior make over. The door panels get Dynamat on the inside surface of the exterior metal and another barrier on the surface next to the cabin. Floors, ceiling, fire wall, under the hood and most importantly the wheel wells get Dynamat . For the floors there will be an additional 3/8" layer of B-Quiet's V-Comp. B-Quiet | B-Quiet® Vcomp.

Here is a link to more photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.223307594391101.61423.119925684729293&type=3

It is ironic that this technology has advanced primarily to serve the boom box boyz. This stuff is used mostly to improve audio quality for car stereos. Most of the the consumer reviews I have read reference improved fidelity with little concern for a quiet ride. Thanks to the chumps who are voluntarily inducing hearing loss, Grumpy Old Men with Hearing Loss (me) can benefit. :)

The plan is to do my truck first. Pictures and sound level readings to follow.
I have been aware of this product for a while. Yes it does work but it will cost you both time and money. For the shop to disassemble the interior panels will take more than a day and then applying the material might take another few. If I ever plan to do this a rental might suffice.

By the way if you don't mind me asking how much did they quote you for the entire job? Parts+labor?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Interested to know pricing for this kind of application as well.. Really wonder how significant this will lower road noise

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I am very interested in this but it really depends on how much it is going to be costing in the end. Are we thinking in the hundreds, or do you think it will be over $1,000?
the material itself is several hundred dollars. I don't have a firm qoute yet but I do know that it depends on the level of disassemble you are willing to pay for. In my case it will be a complete gutting of the interior. It will be close to $2,000. I will let you know how much the less ambitious project on my truck is going to cost.
If you know how to remove door panels and are comfortable removing the seats, it is can be done in your own garage if you are very patient and follow the instructions. One important factor seems to be a combination of the Dynamat with a layer of closed cell material over the top of that. As with every product out there you will see mixed reviews. The overwhelming majority report good results with reductions of 5 dB to a high of 12 dB. I would be delighted with 5 and consider it money well spent. Anything more is a bonus.
Side benefit for those of you who play the car radio, is it is almost universally reported that the fidelity of the car stereo is improved dramatically. Doesn't matter for me since I never turn on the radio.

As far as expense, we all chose what is important to spend money on. I will opt out of the premium package that will more than pay for the sound insulation. No point paying for a fancy Kenwood system I don't want.

·
Registered
71 Posts
the shop I use is here in Eugene, Oregon...Brad's Car Tunes. No price yet on the GLA, since I won't have the vehicle until next year. They will give me a quote on my 2008 GMC Sierra tomorrow. I can post pictures and prices here if anyone is interested. I plan to do before and after dB readings as well. I am also changing out the tires on my pickup to get a quieter ride. Of course the very first thing I will do with the GLA is ditch the flippin' run flats.
I'm definitely in for seeing those before and after DB ratings, not often do you get to see info like that produced from someone on the forums :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
another ironic note, many of the reviews report that after installing Dynamat the car doors close with a solid dull clunk like a Mercedes! And here I am willing to spend a fortune to make my Mercedes sound like a Mercedes. Hey MB engineers, are you listening?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Does it strike anyone as sad that we even have to be having this topic up for discussion with a Mercedes-Benz vehicle? I mean I realize it is at the lower end of the lineup, but it is still Mercedes-Benz. You shouldn't have to spend a bunch extra to fix a problem that shouldn't have even been there in the first place.

·
Registered
470 Posts
How much weight would this add to the vehicle?

Just curious.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So picked up my GLA from the audio shop today. In addition to the audio system, they applied Dynamat Xtreme and 1/4" Dynaliner (closed cell foam) to all 5 doors and throughout the floor of the hatch/trunk area.

On the way there last week on a new stretch of highway @ 70 mph, I read 78 db of ambient noise.

Today, we were down to 72 db on the same stretch. Quite the difference!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts