Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read in the A45 AMG forums that besides the race start, there is also another "soft start" function by setting Sport handling mode and S in gearbox, left foot full on brake and right full on throttle. I tried this but in my GLA with 1200km but the rpm did only go up to 1100 and not 3000 as it was supposed to. Has anyone tried this and confirmed that it works in our cars?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Noone??!?

·
Registered
816 Posts
For the US AMG45, you can select 'S' on the program selector button and it alone changes the driving parameters of the engine throttle, tyranny shift points etc. It does not have a two step process as your post suggests "setting Sport handling mode and S in gearbox". The Euro A Klasse car might have that system.

Anyway, can not answer your question from experience since I am still in the break-in process, but with that said I can not find anywhere in the manual that talks about a "soft launch"??

·
Registered
470 Posts
Haven't read anything about soft launch either and I've looked into the CLA too as those have been out longer and there are more info on it and it is practically identical with the GLA.

Maybe that will help you with your search too if you look it up with the CLA?

If you find anything, please let us know.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here I found a forum post for the CLA 45, the A45 and a video :) . In the last link at the bottom, there is a guy with a newer transmission software (June 2014) where he says that if you just nail the throttle it imittates this soft launch procedure with the brake. Maybe Mercedes has totally removed the brake-throttle thing in the latest update (January 2015)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg6WTF06d8M&app=desktop

"Soft Launch Start"

'Soft' Launch control? - Mercedes A-Class Forum - Page 1

http://www.aclassclub.co.uk/forum/soft-launch-0-to-100-km-hr_topic3286_page1.html

·
Registered
115 Posts
(Unverified on my vehicle) - i recently spent half a day at the AMG driving academy in the UK which was good fun as i drove around a naturally aspirated C63 and an A45. I used two different launch controls and the instructor told me that the A and GLA both have this:

a. Select sport plus mode (may work in sport mode also but i didnt try it)
b. press the traction control button (it puts it into sport handling mode)
c. Keep your foot down on the brake (fully)
d. Push the accelerator right down and it should up the revs to the 3k mark.
e. let go of the brake and you fly

Now interestingly the soft lauch had the wheels spin a lot less than the full launch with the paddle shifters.

Not sure if that helps at all. Not sure what build year the a45 was that i played around with.

·
Registered
503 Posts
No such a feature on gla45 at least on 2015, i wish i can lunch it .
that's the biggest problem for me in the car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If i go for a drive and the car warms up enough, i'll test it out and let you know just how it works on the GLA (if indeed it does work). It would actually be quite good to test out but then i would not be giving the countless guys who try and race me from the lights much of a chance as already it is really fast without launch control. Obviously if there was an E63 S wagon at the lights, i would bow my head and let it go ahead of me out of respect :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
If i go for a drive and the car warms up enough, i'll test it out and let you know just how it works on the GLA (if indeed it does work). It would actually be quite good to test out but then i would not be giving the countless guys who try and race me from the lights much of a chance as already it is really fast without launch control. Obviously if there was an E63 S wagon at the lights, i would bow my head and let it go ahead of me out of respect :)
I tried to do everything possible with gla, but no luck.
strange that A45 can be lunched with one foot on brake and one on gas and gla cant.
C

·
Registered
32 Posts
I actually managed to do it when I was testing the launch control! I have my 1500 miles now :D
The engine will stops it self at 3000 instead of 4500, and you less the noise of the machine gun!
I have to say the machine gun noise scared the car that was on my left at the red light!
Mine is a 2017 GLA 45

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fast start with a GLA 250...

Surely not as impressive as an AMG but there is a technique for doing a fast start with a GLA 250 4-matic. It is shown in detail in the manual for a 2017 on p. 163 and described as "Start-off Assist". I am including a clipped summary below, and yes, it does work and it is pretty impressive... I cant even imagine how much better an AMG would be... lol

Activating start-off assist
- Deactivate ESP®
- Turn the steering wheel to the straight-ahead position.
- Depress the brake pedal hard with your left foot and keep it depressed.
- Shift the transmission to position D.
- Use the DYNAMIC SELECT button to select the S drive program.
- Quickly depress the accelerator pedal fully.
- Take your foot off the brake, but keep the accelerator pedal depressed.
The vehicle pulls away at maximum acceleration.

. Activate ESP® as soon as the acceleration
process has ended. ESP® will otherwise not
be able to stabilize the vehicle if the vehicle
starts to skid or a wheel starts to spin.
Canceling start-off assist
. Remove your foot from the accelerator pedal.
. Reactivate ESP®.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I actually managed to do it when I was testing the launch control! I have my 1500 miles now :D
The engine will stops it self at 3000 instead of 4500, and you less the noise of the machine gun!
I have to say the machine gun noise scared the car that was on my left at the red light!
Mine is a 2017 GLA 45
Pls post the instructions if you think you know how to lunch it.
As soon as u put your foot brake - rpm not going pass 1500.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pls post the instructions if you think you know how to lunch it.
As soon as u put your foot brake - rpm not going pass 1500.
So for me it was :
  • Race mode
  • Then hard on the brakes
  • Then push the accelerator to the max quickly (down to the kickdown level)

And for me the car will stop at 3000 rpm and launch when you free up the brakes!

·
Registered
503 Posts
So for me it was :
  • Race mode
  • Then hard on the brakes
  • Then push the accelerator to the max quickly (down to the kickdown level)

And for me the car will stop at 3000 rpm and launch when you free up the brakes!
do you have gla amg?

so can you spin the tires of the line?

wow. Then its sounds like 2017 got the biggest problem with gla45 fixed.
Good for you.
15 is not working that way :(
enjoy,
C

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes I have a 45 amg 2017
It's not spinning the wheels... I assume the car understands it needs to lock the 4 wheels...
It's about the same a the full race start minus the machine gun sound!
That could be part of the 2016 update on the gearbox...
To be fair I hated the gearbox on the 2015 I tried but then I tried a 2016 and it was much much better.

·
Registered
503 Posts
i wonder if MB can make some kind of software update so 2015 could have soft lunch option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2016 GLA45 Canadian Model

In any mode "C" "S" "S+" "Race" "Individual" you can do a soft launch

Just left foot the brake and quickly full to the floor throttle (it will max at 3000rpm)

Let go of the brake.

In "C" and "S" front wheels spin lots

In "S+" all four wheels spin

In "Race" the ESP is in sport mode 50/50 front rear power.

Since it is not a long winded procedure you can do it quickly at any stop.

Try it....

Richard

·
Registered
880 Posts
i wonder if MB can make some kind of software update so 2015 could have soft lunch option.
I still surprised by this, at AMD driving academy we had older 2014(based on steering wheel design) CLA45s for autocross and we all do soft launch at the start line and it works

·
Registered
503 Posts
Please all members with 2015 AMG model try to soft lunch it, and post here, may be its just mine all messed up.
2016 looks all set.
Thanks,
C

1 - 20 of 22 Posts