Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a set of new snow tyres fitted to my GLA, even though it still 18-20° at the moment... seemed a good idea when booked in August but not so sure now... I also had a big beef with the tyre fitters, they trashed my alloys round the cnetre boss when taking them off... I think they used crowbars to get the alloys off as there's scratches on them... I've fired off a complaint and now they're looking to repair them so hopefully all will be well soon...:(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're Pirelli Scorpion Winter tyres for my 17" alloys, they' have a high wall and side rim protection, good for down hill braking in snow/ice/wet, they also use less fuel than some other winter tyres, lower noise as well...

My last car (GS 300) had low profile 19" alloys but they got trashed within the first year due to all the high kerbs they have here in Belgium... so the 17" high wall gives a safer longer lasting option to keeping your alloys from kerb damage (but not snow tyre dealer damage)...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Where did you go to get your tires changed? I hope it wasn't the dealership because I have worked in a few high end vehicle dealers and they are for the most part careful with wheels and go through the right process.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a company car so we have to use a third party service that we're signed up to, but I've complained about the damage and also the fact that they under inflated all the tyres to different pressures (caused a severe vibration on the motorway)... luckily a local garage was able to source the issue and inflate the tyres to the correct pressure at no charge...

Now the tyre service is going to replace all the wheels for new ones, plus move my future tyre changes to another depot that can be trusted...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@nutdotnet: I got Pirelli Scorpion Winter 215/60 R 17 96V, they have a high wall and narrower bead than the summer tyres so well suited to snow and ice...was going to go for the 18" alloys but the high kerb stones here in Brussels are killers for low wall alloys, so went for the safer option to keep them looking good...

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have heard some great things about those scorpion tires, also bridgestone blizzaks are great too, and likely much cheaper than the scorpion's, just throwing that out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@nutdotnet: I got Pirelli Scorpion Winter 215/60 R 17 96V, they have a high wall and narrower bead than the summer tyres so well suited to snow and ice...was going to go for the 18" alloys but the high kerb stones here in Brussels are killers for low wall alloys, so went for the safer option to keep them looking good...
I'm actually going to get 215/60r17s as well.

The only thing I can't figure out is if it's required (or at least a good idea) to get an XL rated tire. If so, then my options diminish substantially.

Heck - I don't even know if the stockers are XL rated.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I'm actually going to get 215/60r17s as well.

The only thing I can't figure out is if it's required (or at least a good idea) to get an XL rated tire. If so, then my options diminish substantially.

Heck - I don't even know if the stockers are XL rated.
The GLA weighs 3,300lbs.(surprisingly lightweight for being AWD) XL is not a necessity as it weighs as much as a small car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The GLA weighs 3,300lbs.(surprisingly lightweight for being AWD) XL is not a necessity as it weighs as much as a small car.
That's what I thought. Normally, I use tire rack for finding all this info but they only list XL tires as ones that fit/recommended.

I don't see anywhere on the car, tires, or manual that references XL tires.

Hey OP - sorry for the hijack.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What run-flat Winter tires are available that would fit on the 250's standard 18'' rims?

·
Registered
295 Posts
What run-flat Winter tires are available that would fit on the 250's standard 18'' rims?
I would advise against getting run flat unless you really want them then by all means go for it.
But it's just another added and unnecessary cost IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello

I'm from Switzerland and bougth a new Gla 45 AMG with 20" Wheels! Now i must have Winter tires! But i dont found tires in original size (235 40 r20)! Now i must have 235 35 r20 or 245 40 r20 (prefer)!

Which size fits on the car??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts