Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted snow chains to a gla45 with wheels 245 40 20 successfully ?
If so please advise what chains were used.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
DOT requires room for chains. That leaves gaps to the wheel wells that many of us don't like. That is why so many aftermarket wheel spacers and drop kits exist.

·
Registered
223 Posts
As Wayne cites they will fit. However I have found that modern dedicated Winter tires (fka "snow tires"; esp. by Michelin and Continental) have plenty of grip even in heavy snow. If the snowfall/ice is so extreme that chains are needed I figure I shouldn't be out in it anyway. But I do understand that there are some worldwide mountain-pass areas that mandate same.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We keep snow chains in our 2015 '45 that is resident in Italy just in case we go skiing in the north where chains can be required if you want to drive. We have never used them and hope we never do.
For our Toronto based 2018, we have MB Canada sourced 215/55 18 Pirelli snow tires on the same 18" AMG wheels the 2015 runs on. These tires are very effective on snow|ice. I would not go to chains unless required by law to do so. In Ontario, except for occasional use on bad snow and ice, chains are illegal.

·
Registered
73 Posts
serious? cables are where it's at. But way more fun and safe with dedicated snows or in my case in california with several climates in one morning 3pmsf all seasons
Yup, cost around $200. And cables are all we can use on these cars. I have snow tires on mine now, still drives great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts