Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a set of Conti DWS's, my second big snow and ice storm was a breeze. Any of you on the fence about how well this little SUV does in the snow, your worries are not justified. :D (especially with proper tires and 4Matic) Last time I was in the mountains, this time I was in the urban areas.

DWS's are not a fully-dedicated snow tire, however, they are an all-season tire with a dedicated snow 'patch' built-in. My GLA 4Matic was the ONLY car that made it up a very nasty hill of ice and snow, there were 4 large SUV's and multiple cars that came back down in retreat. (some just slid back down) I literally went up the hill like it was nothing, no joke. At stoplights, I am the first to pull away, and around corners, the GLA behaved miraculously.

On the second night after the storm I was at an event with minimal parking, so I followed some massive diesel 4x4 pickup trucks with all-terrain tires up over large curbs and snowy/muddy terrain and onto an open field with ease. I was the littlest truck up there LOL

I am now thinking to myself, I wonder how amazing the GLA 4Matic would do with dedicated snow tires???
Anyways, I just wanted to report my results, and help those interested in the capabilities of this vehicle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the update! This early, November snow has gotten me really thinking about winter. Nice to know, from an actual owner, that the GLA should be able to handle the season with ease....

·
Registered
694 Posts
From my experience, just about any vehicle should be able to take on winter, just depends how good or bad you are of a driver and your tires.
I have driven RWD vehicles without any nannies and even with that i fly by AWD subaru's

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From my experience, just about any vehicle should be able to take on winter, just depends how good or bad you are of a driver and your tires.
I have driven RWD vehicles without any nannies and even with that i fly by AWD subaru's
Yes, dedicated snow tires on ANYTHING is a night vs day difference! However, good tires and AWD/4WD = awesome. :)

I will say one caveat is the traction-control systems across brands. In my past experience, I have experienced some RWD cars with HORRID traction systems that can ruin the winter driving experience. Lexus and Jaguar used to have AWFUL systems, that would basically just 'cripple' your car from accelerating to avoid danger. Now granted I have not owned a Lexus since (about 5 years) so they might be better now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If the amount of November snow is any indication of what is to come for us in the North east, we are going to need some actual winter tires.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Are DWSs the standard OEM tire for US 250s with 18-inch wheels in the US?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are DWSs the standard OEM tire for US 250s with 18-inch wheels in the US?
Unfortunately, no. Or rather, not that I have seen yet.

DWS' sizing can be a hurdle at times. Don't be afraid to use 245-45-19 if you have 19's, sizing up a little looks great, no fitment issues, adds a bit more cushion, and quiets road noise a bit. The speedo changes from 65mph to 65.8mph, so i just remember that when highway cruising.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What are the OEM tires for US 18-inch wheels?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran the DWS on my Subaru STI and loved them. Great balance between sport, comfort, and all season grip.
Found the best price on ebay.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Do the DWSs come in a run-flat version?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for all the info, Boris. What do you do for a spare tire since you aren't using run-flats?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info, Boris. What do you do for a spare tire since you aren't using run-flats?
This:
Tire Repair Kit with 12-Volt Air Compressor - Griot's Garage

Takes about 20 minutes and you are on your way! I also suggest having a head-mounted flashlight in the glovebox in case you get a flat in the dark.

For full blowouts, I have roadside assistance, and if I'm on the trails or somewhere like that, I bring my full-size spare in the back (with seats folded down) because we do not have children lol
I always buy a matching 5th wheel and tire for 4matic, quattro etc AWD vehicles. Even if it is at home, someone could always fetch it for me as a solution as well. Quite a few options, really.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts