Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

new to this forum. I recently sold my 2014 CLA 45 AMG for the new BMW M2. The M2 is amazing but I have decided not to use it as a daily driver and look for a slightly used 2015 GLA 45 AMG or a 2013 Audi S6.

I still have a set of winter tires/wheels from my CLA 45 AMG, size 18 inch 235/40R18 95V XL. Will these fit on the GLA 45 AMG?

that would be a big plus for the GLA 45 AMG if I can reuse my winter tires

Has anyone owned an S6 and GLA 45 AMG ? I would appreciate your opinons.

thank you

Glenn

·
Registered
880 Posts
Although i do not own an S5 i've driven them a few time while i was searching for my new car. For whats its worth here are my thoughts

S5
Much more liner torque, dont have to be hard on the gas to experience the full torque
Better interior built (somewhat), aesthetic is dependent on the owner (i like the A/CLA/GLA)
Gas guzzler, i daily a 45 and i can get 22-23MPG on a 50/50 city/highway 50 miles commute
Somewhat tame looking compared to a 45

But you've previously had a cla45 so you already know about possible rattles and the DCT quirk,

I ended up choosing the GLA45 because it was much more modern, commutable, and a hatch back. Both would have cost very similar new or used based on options

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks m-type

Anyone know if my 18 inch winter tires will fit the GLA 45 AMG

·
Registered
55 Posts
Your winter rims may fit on GLA45. AFAIK both GLA45 and CLA45 have same rotors and brake sizes.

However your tire profile would be small for GLA45. On 20" rim, the profile size is 40.
That means with your rims, you would need 50 profile since you're downsizing 2". You would need to wrap 235/50/18 on those 18" rims for GLA45.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a 2015 GLA 45 last week and I love it. So much fun to drive

·
Super Moderator
1,900 Posts
Congrats. Post some pictures and details. And try to tone down that grin that keeps showing up on your face that makes others so jealous of you!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi,

new to this forum. I recently sold my 2014 CLA 45 AMG for the new BMW M2. The M2 is amazing but I have decided not to use it as a daily driver and look for a slightly used 2015 GLA 45 AMG or a 2013 Audi S6.

I still have a set of winter tires/wheels from my CLA 45 AMG, size 18 inch 235/40R18 95V XL. Will these fit on the GLA 45 AMG?

that would be a big plus for the GLA 45 AMG if I can reuse my winter tires

Has anyone owned an S6 and GLA 45 AMG ? I would appreciate your opinons.

thank you

Glenn
Hi Glenn,

I trust you already have the answer about your wheel package. The main issue is that 40 profile tires on 18" wheels would throw off your speedo. Tires.com has a calculator to tell you exactly by how much. I am running 235/50R18 winters on my GLA45 and they are great especially on snow and rougher winter roads in Colorado.

As for S6 vs. GLA45, I can come close as I had an RS6 previously. I believe the differences between the S6 and RS6 were in the suspension (RS6 being stiffer), RS6 is bi-turbo and S6 is straight 8 or turbo V6 depending on the year, and brakes on the RS6 are bigger. I would say S6 is better than RS6 in the scheduled maintenance area which was one of the main reasons I gave up my beloved RS6. Everything on the RS6 is more expensive to maintain and the intervals are much shorter (like timing belts at 25k).

RS6 and S6 have the same body size, so there I would say the GLA is a bit smaller in width and headroom but much more functional because of the hatch. For example, I can get my 85 lb. GSD in the GLA with no problems. I am 6'1" and 220 lbs and fit in the GLA just fine. The pano roof helps with the lower headroom space.

However, Mercedes has cut a lot of corners on the GLA, so you will be missing a lot of items that come standard on S6, like dynamic headlights (turn with the wheel), headlight washers, much better interior quality, etc. In return you get a lighter car (which changes the ride, performance, tire/suspension maintenance), less maintenance (certainly than the RS6 but S6 might be close), better utility, higher ground clearance (an inch or two makes a lot of difference on snowy roads), and better safety (GLA has one of the best crash test results under the EU tests).

Now, I am a bit biased but if you are looking for a 4-door sedan and don't care about the taller hatch (as I did), I would seriously look at Porsche products. You'd be surprised how much better a Panomera drives compared to any of the Audi sedans. Porsches are amazingly one the maintenance side too. I also considered an E63 but that car (while has an amazing engine) suffers from the same issues as RS6, expensive maintenance and rattly car due to the harsher suspension.

BTW, I keep talking about the softer suspension on the GLA45. To be clear, there I am referring to the softer setting on my adjustable suspension. I highly recommend that option if you are looking for a used one. I drove the GLA45s with and without the adjustable suspension and there is big difference.

Good luck with either choice. I don't think you will go wrong either way :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts