Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
thought I would try and get a “fix” for this that isn’t crazy cost and can be done without removing the roof.

I spent some time designing a Replacement shoe that can be easily fitted from the top.

I used a new shoe to get the external dimensions and 3d printed some to install into my vehicle that has broken.

I have now had these fitted for 6 months and they were used throughout summer without issues.

if anyone wants any, let me know. I can give some details on fitting.
Hey so I just joined this thread, and saw your post. Are you still selling them?

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
I've heard there are a number of sources on line. Installing the block may be a difficult matter.

I would caution against cheap options from unknown sources. In the event of catastrophic failure can the glass blow off creating havoc behind you? That's a question. I don't know the answer.

But I never follow a pick up truck too closely. You never know who put what in the bed and how they did or did not secure their load. It's kind of like following a car with a mattress on its roof.

·
Registered
388 Posts
While it could happen, the shoe is not what holds the window in place. Mine gave way for the first time at 70 mph on a freeway. It makes a loud bang for sure. But didn't go free. Again, that's not to say it couldn't if a few bolts stripped out after the window banged against those fasteners in the process.

It is true my own confidence on the shoes is shaken. if they can give way when at 100%, they can also give way when installed weakened, which is what it takes to get replacements in there. In my case, I don't open the roof at freeway speeds anymore. Around town, no problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hallo people. Good news, we managed to repair **** shoe. I have to admit it was harder than expected, some challenge. To take glas down it is like in video showed above. 4 screws and slide it forward, no biggie. But fitting the shoe is really hard work. I had no idea how to make it, and I had some help from my father in law, old school guy who has a lot of creative ideas. We managed to fit one side and to get another one we had to split the rail and "convince" it with a hammer a bit. Did make some light damage to shoe itself and rail also but not much, doesn't disturb the function. So if you are brave enough and think you can do a lot by yourself, go ahead and try it. If not please don't even try.
If you got any questions I will be happy to try to answer. Many Greetings from Holidays in Bosnia and Herzegowina, where there isn't corona any more. No masks no distance and not many vaccinated, but no unnecessary test and no problems or sick or dead 👋👋👋🍺🍺

·
Registered
1 Posts
thought I would try and get a “fix” for this that isn’t crazy cost and can be done without removing the roof.

I spent some time designing a Replacement shoe that can be easily fitted from the top.

I used a new shoe to get the external dimensions and 3d printed some to install into my vehicle that has broken.

I have now had these fitted for 6 months and they were used throughout summer without issues.

if anyone wants any, let me know. I can give some details on fitting.
Hi
I have this issue on my GLA250, please help advise how I can get these parts and how to install them

thanks in advance

61 - 69 of 69 Posts