Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Found this thread via google, I’m having the same issue on a GLA250. Plastic pieces came apart, I managed to clear the pieces out and close the sunroof. Hit 85mph on the freeway no issues of it opening. I do however plan to fix it. Has anyone been able to fix it without removing the complete rails?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes, but not sure how sturdy the fix is. I had to mill channels out of the shoes, one vertical and one horizontal. The vertical milled show goes in, then I snap the bearing into place through the channel. Then the horizontal shoe is put on the rail and tapped into place with a punch.

The channels are milled with a 1/8" end mill ( you could use a file), just deep enough to not clear the pin that sits in the center of the shoe. Just enough of an interference that everything needs to be drifted into place with a punch.

How confident am I in this fix? Not confident enough to open the roof when doing 75 on the freeway which is what I was doing when the original shoes broke in the first place.

But seems to hold just fine for opening and closing at 35mph and under. One day I will get complacent and open it on the freeway, but that day is not today.

No, I did not take pictures. It's not an ideal way to get those things in place. I couldn't figure out any other way short of filing a channel into the rail somewhere. I didn't want to do that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, that sounds like something of what I had in mind! I do appreciate you taking the time to reach out and reply! I was thinking of trying and notching a spot on the rail.

·
Registered
298 Posts
yeah, thought of that too. For that approach, I sure wouldn't want to notch the rail where the glass was gliding. I figured I would remove the moon roof then see if I could get the glide to travel farther backwards than it would normally, and use that "unused area" to notch the rail.

But the day I did it, my wife was out for the day so I wasn't about to go pulling the glass by myself, so notching the shoes it was, and fixed it all without removing the glass at all.

It's all good until I open the moonroof at 75 mph and the shoes snap violently again. :) Or not, if the fix is good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
yeah, thought of that too. For that approach, I sure wouldn't want to notch the rail where the glass was gliding. I figured I would remove the moon roof then see if I could get the glide to travel farther backwards than it would normally, and use that "unused area" to notch the rail.

But the day I did it, my wife was out for the day so I wasn't about to go pulling the glass by myself, so notching the shoes it was, and fixed it all without removing the glass at all.

It's all good until I open the moonroof at 75 mph and the shoes snap violently again. :) Or not, if the fix is good.
So glad you thought of this also! my idea doesn’t seem so crazy now lol, I’m going to have to check on the travel area on the guide and try and see if I can get something going. I probably won’t be doing it anytime soon anyways. I will certainly be ordering the parts though

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found this document on the NTSB website... I’m not certain if it is a precursor to a recall, or a directive to dealerships guiding them through the obviously common sunroof issues.

I can’t quite determine if this addresses the issue discussed in this thread, or something entirely different.

Maybe someone else can take a look and decipher a more insightful summary of the attachment.

I’m still driving around with my sunroof tilted up in the rear, and San Francisco is forecasting rain this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did find this list of vehicles using the image you provided. It’s a sort of “fix” directive but I wouldn’t call it a recall. I have yet to go to the dealership and honestly I don’t feel like wasting my time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue going on, the drivers side tilt won’t close all the way. Anyone know if the dealer will at least close it to seal? At this point I don’t care if the pano is operational since rainy season is coming and I definitely don’t have the cash to cough up to fix it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same issue going on, the drivers side tilt won’t close all the way. Anyone know if the dealer will at least close it to seal? At this point I don’t care if the pano is operational since rainy season is coming and I definitely don’t have the cash to cough up to fix it.
If your issue is the “shoe guides” then I’d think there might be some kind of broken piece stopping it from closing properly. I had to check the rails and remove all debris (about 6 pieces of plastic with grease). Once I cleared it all, I held the sunroof from the inside up by pushing with the palm of my hand to keep it level and held the button to close. I was able to get it to sit properly and seal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If your issue is the “shoe guides” then I’d think there might be some kind of broken piece stopping it from closing properly. I had to check the rails and remove all debris (about 6 pieces of plastic with grease). Once I cleared it all, I held the sunroof from the inside up by pushing with the palm of my hand to keep it level and held the button to close. I was able to get it to sit properly and seal.
Thanks for replying! I can’t tell if it’s the guides, I just know it won’t close or open any further than the drivers side tilt opening. I fear it’s the rails based on what others have posted. I’ve held down the control and tried opening or closing. The motor will run and the drivers side will move slightly but the passenger side won’t budge. The drivers side will attempt to close but then immediately pop back open.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for replying! I can’t tell if it’s the guides, I just know it won’t close or open any further than the drivers side tilt opening. I fear it’s the rails based on what others have posted. I’ve held down the control and tried opening or closing. The motor will run and the drivers side will move slightly but the passenger side won’t budge. The drivers side will attempt to close but then immediately pop back open.
I feel if it's not moving at all it might be something stuck in a guide, i am not at all too knowledgeable on these kinds of cars. I'd check to see if anything is obstructing the guide rail and go from there. Maybe something is bent or not allowing it to travel.

·
658 Posts
I feel if it's not moving at all it might be something stuck in a guide, i am not at all too knowledgeable on these kinds of cars. I'd check to see if anything is obstructing the guide rail and go from there. Maybe something is bent or not allowing it to travel.
John, wonder if the TSBSEARCH is a service campaign? Generally, service campaigns are done free of charges. at the least if still under warranty it sould be covered.

·
Super Moderator
439 Posts
Not that it helps this discussion much, but the panoramic roof "rail shoes" are the Achilles heal of many vehicle brands. There are now aftermarkets that scan & 3D print same given that it's such a common failing.

So, annual/semi-annual cleaning/lubricating is particularly advised. At my 20K B-service "panoramic roof" was listed but unsure if it was simply an inspection or actual maintenance (likely just a 'function check').

·
Registered
1 Posts
thought I would try and get a “fix” for this that isn’t crazy cost and can be done without removing the roof.

I spent some time designing a Replacement shoe that can be easily fitted from the top.

I used a new shoe to get the external dimensions and 3d printed some to install into my vehicle that has broken.

I have now had these fitted for 6 months and they were used throughout summer without issues.

if anyone wants any, let me know. I can give some details on fitting.

Attachments

21 - 34 of 34 Posts