·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to 3 things:
Mercedes
AWD
Turbo

Is it normal to feel like you are driving up hill all the time? It feels like my wife's Subaru where it feels like it's pulling....as compared to my Honday Civic. I think that is a subject of AWD vehicles in general.

Next......

I have never owned a Turbo. The engine has a weird sound to it when at idol. Hard to describe but it sounds a bit loud....a bit louder than (again) my civic which purrrrred at idol. Almost unnoticeable while at idol.

I was a little taken back that it was a freshly delivered car from the port of Baltimore right to the dealer in Nanuet NY but had 19 miles on it. With my Honda's it was always like 3 or 5 miles at most. Normal?

Does the parking brake automatically engage 100% of the time? Is there a way to set it to only engage when I want it to in a manual car?

Am I seeing this correctly....the wheel wells are carpeted? I bought the OEM mud flaps and planned on installing them myself but can't see how they would go on? Any insight? My civic mudd guards just screwed on.

Right behind my Mercedes is my new BMW which I took delivery of in November that still has 3 (yes THREE) miles on it :)

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another question....

I plan on taking the tires off to put on the mud flaps. Where is the jack points under the car? I have a traditional car jack and rather not use the OEM (assuming there is one in the trunk)

Thx

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Looks great! Congratulations!

It feels like you are going uphill because of the 'E' mode transmission. After the car warms up, switch to 'S.' Less-economical, but much more engaging. (Turning a corner and then trying to accelerate away rapidly in 4th gear is absurd, I hate the 'E' setting...) You have to really MASH the pedal to get the gears you want in 'E.'
Also, the TCU (transmission computer) does have a learning curve, it will eventually adapt to your driving habits.

In my humble opinion, the mud flaps are useless on a car with such a deep-offset wheel. Not likely you'll kick mud up anywhere but 'under' your car.

The parking brake is electronic, so you have to flip the switch under the driver dash. If you do not push that button, it will use the standard parking brake.

If you need more power, you can always plug in a C-tronic or other tuner! I love mine!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you !!

The park brake...I'm confused. Every time I put it in park it seems to automatically engage the park brake. What's the difference between the electronic park brake and the standard park brake?

I have to pull back on the lever underneath the steering wheel (below to the left) to take the park brake off.

The think I don't get is....every time I put the car from drive to park....it automatically puts the park brake on.

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
Transmission is electronically controlled. It does not have a mechanical park pawl that drops in place to lock the transmission like older automatics. Therefore it has to rely on other methods to keep the car from rolling when you engage "P" on the gear selector.

I haven't found any documentation, but think the "P" transmission brake is different from the wheel parking brake activated by switch on lower left dash. The "P" transmission brake may be in the transmission itself or on an output shaft. The parking brake on the dash is for the wheels. So two different brake functions entirely, transmission or wheel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You won't need to manually disengage the parking brake after you've put the car in Park..Just put it in the gear you want and accelerate...it will auto disengage.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am referring to the red handle or the wheels parking brake. Thanks for the clarity. I now see what you were talking about.

OK....if I understand you correctly the red handle parking brake (wheels brake) that automatically engages every time I put the car into "transmission" park will auto disengage when I put the car into drive?

For some reason now....it is indicating on the screen that the "park brake is on, pull the handle" when I go from park to drive.

You're saying it should auto disengage and not require me to pull the red handle every time?

Sorry guys...

But thank you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am referring to the red handle or the wheels parking brake. Thanks for the clarity. I now see what you were talking about.

OK....if I understand you correctly the red handle parking brake (wheels brake) that automatically engages every time I put the car into "transmission" park will auto disengage when I put the car into drive?

For some reason now....it is indicating on the screen that the "park brake is on, pull the handle" when I go from park to drive.

You're saying it should auto disengage and not require me to pull the red handle every time?

Sorry guys...

But thank you.
Your GLA is automatic or manual transmission?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know which I missed.....I am sure I didn't have my seat belt on.

I usually flip it on by habit as I beging to roll away.

I bet that's it.

Thank you thank you thank you.

I'll try it when I get home this weekend.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh wait....press on the gas too?

They want me to press the gas pedal while he parking brake is on?

I'm sure I didn't do that either.

That's weird, no?

·
Retired Moderator
378 Posts
DBLXX - where are you located? Maybe your GLA is a different spec than what we are used to.

Most of the people on this board are in the US or Canada. There is no red handle on US spec GLA and I have never seen a warning on screen like you describe.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Also, I checked yesterday, and my parking break does not engage when I put the transmission in Park.

My usual routine is to put the break on Hold, then turn the car off. This automatically engages the parking break and puts the transmission in Park.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I think a lot of people are not pushing in on the 'parking button' extending from the tip of the gear lever on the steering column.

The parking brake for the WHEELS is under the console, the standard parking gear is on the column.

I think this may explain why some are stating that their car lurches forward after they exit the vehicle. You have to actually put into 'park' before getting out of your vehicle. I think many might be using the SAFETY FEATURE, rather than the intended park position, because my GLA has never lurched forward unless I didn't put it into park.

Reactions: gurneyeagle

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
This might help..

Attachments

Reactions: gurneyeagle
1 - 18 of 18 Posts