Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

2 weeks ago, I took my car for a B1 service, not at Mercedes. The service light was cleared, and the car ran good for a week, until I got a generic service light. It just says the car needs service, to take it to the dealer. The weird part is that the car wouldn't start, and I had to wait a few seconds and try a couple of times before it started again. Anyone experienced this, and can share what's all about? Thanks!

I should add that there are no service messages under Service. The engine light stays on for a day or so, and then goes away until the next time the message appeared again.

· Super Moderator
2,218 Posts
Check your battery. I just had to replace my one year old (to the day) AGM main battery.

For the last several months the car might discharge beyond starting overnight, or over a couple weeks. It was all over the map. Finally it dropped to four volts and after an overnight trickle charge it further dropped to 3 volts.

I didn't get messages, but a bad battery can often cause spurious failures.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your battery. I just had to replace my one year old (to the day) AGM main battery.

For the last several months the car might discharge beyond starting overnight, or over a couple weeks. It was all over the map. Finally it dropped to four volts and after an overnight trickle charge it further dropped to 3 volts.

Wayne, thank you for your reply. I got a new battery this morning and it appears that did the trick.

· Super Moderator
1,076 Posts
We too had to replace the main battery at almost exactly one year from new vehicle delivery. Then again in September.

Good to read it resolved your issue.

Wayne, thank you for your reply. I got a new battery this morning and it appears that did the trick.

· Registered
68 Posts
I am hoping 1 year life on a battery is not the new norm. Hopefully, the CTEC smart external charger can extend battery longevity to at least a few years. Another reason I'm partial to older model vehicles with significantly longer battery life and less sophisticated charging and electrical systems. While this forum doesn't always post the positives of GLA ownership, I'm not getting warm & fuzzies from some of the failure and maintenance issues, now that my warranty has expired.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts