Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a GLA and the "Service A" light came on a few days ago. I've had it about a year but I live in the city and I don't drive much. The car only has 3500 miles on it. I'm wondering what could possibly need servicing? Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks,
Gene

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Welcome to the GLA Forum Gene. That's the annual service warning, 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Your operator's manual will explain it, either the digital copy through your dash Control system or paper copy. I live in Hawaii and have a similar driving profile, 19 months old and about 5900 miles. You need to do the servicing with documentation (if you don't go to an MB service facility) to ensure you don't void your warranty.

Please tell us more about your GLA and where you're located in your profile if you will, helps in answering some specific topics that come up. Photos are always welcome as well as soon as you have five posts. Again, welcome!

·
Super Moderator
726 Posts
The Service reminder will come on based on time and miles. It is 1 year or 10,000 miles which come first. If you do not follow the maintenance schedule you might have problem with dealer on warranty repairs. On another form for cars there has been many decisions on this type of question. Some have sent samples of oil to a company and had it analyzed and the reports for low miles like your says the oil is still good, as good as new. By having the dealer to do Service A they will check the car on many items and will do any updates to the system if there is an update. Sometimes there are Service Campaigns that are like a non safety recall that you do not hear about but the dealer will do free when serving the car. If you go to a dealer and they come to you with items needing repair it should be covered by warranty if not covered you can say no and fix it yourself or go to a good indy.

There are pros and cons in not doing what is required for warranty coverage. Like turbolink states you can DIY or have it done just make sure you have proper documentation.

·
Registered
74 Posts
just take it in.

something i need to do - 27 days in!

Reactions: Eugene_C

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The Service reminder will come on based on time and miles. It is 1 year or 10,000 miles which come first. If you do not follow the maintenance schedule you might have problem with dealer on warranty repairs. On another form for cars there has been many decisions on this type of question. Some have sent samples of oil to a company and had it analyzed and the reports for low miles like your says the oil is still good, as good as new. By having the dealer to do Service A they will check the car on many items and will do any updates to the system if there is an update. Sometimes there are Service Campaigns that are like a non safety recall that you do not hear about but the dealer will do free when serving the car. If you go to a dealer and they come to you with items needing repair it should be covered by warranty if not covered you can say no and fix it yourself or go to a good indy.

There are pros and cons in not doing what is required for warranty coverage. Like turbolink states you can DIY or have it done just make sure you have proper documentation.
Well I took it in. The total with tax was $296! They changed the oil and 2 air filters and did $160 "inspection". It's not that I can't afford it but generally when I spend $50,000 on a new car I don't expect it to need $300 of maintenance after only 3500 miles. Absolutely ridiculous. My old Buick Dealer used to charge $19.99 for an oil change. At least they washed and vacuumed the car. -- but seriously if the inspection had found something wrong, then I would have towed the car over to the Acura dealer and traded it in right then and there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Something needs to happen to MB service component, I am right there with you Eugene_C which is why I've griped over countless price Gouging , Yes MB has had a run in with this in the past in a case down in GA too. For instance I had just the air filter replaced and it was going to cost me 100.00 for labor and part. I understand there are other countless things but why over charge someone in my case 37.00 for profit on an air filter? I will forever go to MBOEMParts.com type in your Vin, get the parts you need and avoid the price gouging.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Something needs to happen to MB service component, I am right there with you Eugene_C which is why I've griped over countless price Gouging , Yes MB has had a run in with this in the past in a case down in GA too. For instance I had just the air filter replaced and it was going to cost me 100.00 for labor and part. I understand there are other countless things but why over charge someone in my case 37.00 for profit on an air filter? I will forever go to MBOEMParts.com type in your Vin, get the parts you need and avoid the price gouging.
But how else can you get those pesky warning lights reset? :|

I agree that MB is treating maintenance like it's still 1970. This kind of constant attention shouldn't be necessary in 2017.

·
Super Moderator
726 Posts
You can reset the service reminder yourself. It is kind of simple. See the YouTube video.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The dash tells me Service A is needed in 29 days. Ugh... I've only got 2350 miles on it... oh well, guess I'll take it in.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The dash tells me Service A is needed in 29 days. Ugh... I've only got 2350 miles on it... oh well, guess I'll take it in.
Please refer to the maintenance manual for whats actually needed for a 45AMG. The dealerships uses a program to lookup whats needed for a service A but they do not always match whats needed in the manual book. Such as the rear gear fluids at 10k or 1 year, ect..

·
Registered
55 Posts
I may decide to bring it to the dealer for the next service, but I will want photos showing that what was said and written as done, has actually been done.
With my service A, air filter was not changed and rear wiper blade and rear diff oil was not replaced. in my case, service A was not paid by me but provisioned by the dealer as part of the certification.
I replaced the air filter myself and the blade should be coming soon.
I will replace the rear diff oil too.
And got an oil change done by an Indy, just because not changing the oil after break-in for 10K miles is just nuts.
I think that 10K miles is stupid as interval, but the first oil change at this interval just ... doesn't make sense. I am second owner, if I was first, would have done first oil change at 3000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
554 Posts
We always push for wiper blade replacement and [sometimes eventually] the dealership concedes and provides as part of the service.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts