Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone brought in their GLA for service A and B? How much did you have to pay if you didnt avail of the prepaid maintenance plan?
What is inclusive for service A and service B? I read here from a previous forum that the 3rd year service costs the most.

Contemplating whether to purchase the 2,3 or 4 yr prepaid maintenance from my MB finance agent which is $950, $1175 or $1475 respectively. Catch is I got to pay the whole amount before I am due for my 1st service A. I am from LA.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Has anyone brought in their GLA for service A and B? How much did you have to pay if you didnt avail of the prepaid maintenance plan?
What is inclusive for service A and service B? I read here from a previous forum that the 3rd year service costs the most.

Contemplating whether to purchase the 2,3 or 4 yr prepaid maintenance from my MB finance agent which is $950, $1175 or $1475 respectively. Catch is I got to pay the whole amount before I am due for my 1st service A. I am from LA.

Any thoughts?

I bought the 4 year for $1,250 in Houston. Looking at the dealer fees for service, four years of service would cost a lot more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it looks like the dealers I've asked near my area are adding up at least $200 more to the total charges or the quoted price in the MB website, since I didn't avail of it when I first purchased the GLA...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just about to get my first service, and my dealer is offering 4 yr for 1275. He told me he ran the numbers for a buddy who also bought a GLA and the 4 yr saved about 30%. Seems like a good deal to me.

Any thoughts? (PLEASE HURRY, NEED TO DECIDE TODAY)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Just about to get my first service, and my dealer is offering 4 yr for 1275. He told me he ran the numbers for a buddy who also bought a GLA and the 4 yr saved about 30%. Seems like a good deal to me.

Any thoughts? (PLEASE HURRY, NEED TO DECIDE TODAY)
Take the deal! The fourth year is the expensive one. In Hawaii I paid $1475 for four years and at local rates was pleased with that. All MB shop rates are high, but at least this gives some assurance to the dealer of a returning customer that might get you into the showroom, and as rates inflate, you might break even or better.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I saw somewhere here the by-year service costs, but was thinking 3rd year was the big one?? I'll try to find it again.

·
Registered
136 Posts
found this in another thread:

1.$397 2.$678 3.$3,260 4.$1,067 5.$448
= total for 5 years=$5,851

This for CLA. anyone have an update?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just found this on Cars.com:

Maintenance
yr1 $424 yr2 $710 yr3 $3,430 yr4 $1,228 yr5 $508 total 5yrs $6,301

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You could be right about the third or fourth year, I haven't really checked the service schedule for my 250. It was the fourth year on my VW GTI. The prices you note above seem pretty high and perhaps include more than the standard A/B service you'd get from an MB dealer. Or are they perhaps a la carte pricing?

·
Registered
201 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
I can't believe the numbers I see here. $3,430 for the year 3 service? What could they possibly do that would cost $3,340? How could the dealer sell a 4 year maintenance package for $1425 that covers $5800 worth of maintenance? There is a big disconnect here. The $3450 figure must include things other than scheduled maintenance. I looked in the maintenance book, which is not easy to follow, especially insofar as differentiating between when to get an A or B, and I viewed the videos. Video of the A service (year one and/or 10,000 miles) reveals essentially an oil/filter change, changing the cabin air filter and checking things that I check anyway. The Service B video (year two and/or 20,000 miles) looks like Service A with the addition of spraying a lot of lube, plus the addition of changing brake fluid. At year three and/or 31,000 miles (why not make it 30,000 miles, in keeping with the first and second service?) we're back to an A or a B, hard to figure out which, with the addition of lubing the sun roof. It looks like at year 4, which has jumped to 46,500 miles, we get the A or B, again hard to figure out which, and the every 2 years brake fluid change, with additionally an air filter and new spark plugs. Since I have a FWD non AMG, I don't need some things on the list. I really want things checked, and certainly someone who works on the brand should command a higher price, but how much higher? I have a local garage that has taken me through 1 BMW, 1 MB E Class, and 2 Lexus (Lexi?) I trust them as much as I trust Mercedes. If I'm not having a problem, why not have them do an oil change, and I'm not worried about them getting the right sized O ring filter, because they'll get it at the MB parts department. I think they may be able to find the right oil also.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Fbsdmd: Beats me, except that I know that MB, BMW, and Porche are all very expensive to maintain, and my service guy (been there over 20 years now, and was my guy for my 2000 M-Class) that he ran the numbers and found huge savings compared to regular scheduled maintenance. His figures are around 35% savings at today's prices. Surely will go up over the next three years.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm a big fan of maintenance, but if you look at the maintenance requirements of the GLA, there's not much listed in the book. There 's a whole lot of 'checking' but not too much hands on stuff. I think it is very unlikely that I will pay MB $3400 for any maintenance service. I guess someone has to pay for the coffee machine in the waiting area. Maybe I could cut a deal whereby I buy my own coffee from Dunkin' on the way in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If those numbers are from a general car site review they likely include tire costs in the equation. Otherwise those are not GLA/CLA numbers - no way no how. $3,400 service? That's insane!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not to mention it would be a cost borne by Mercedes for all the 30-36 month lease turn-ins, which is the majority of leases. No way they'd shoot themselves in the foot that way.

·
Registered
201 Posts
We must all remember that MB has always catered to people who had money blowing out their A holes. The customer demographics has changed a bit, but not their prices. ;) :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'd go with the pre-paid assuming you get the price right, last few MBs I've gotten it for way lower than the cost at that time from their service dept, this is an item the dealership has a lot of latitude over even if they tell you service is a separate dept, it's all the same dealership. Of course don't forget, you need to keep the car long enough and then there's the loss of use of the money during that time and last, if you roll it into your loan or lease it'll cost you interest so have them sharpen their deal.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I'd go with the pre-paid assuming you get the price right, last few MBs I've gotten it for way lower than the cost at that time from their service dept, this is an item the dealership has a lot of latitude over even if they tell you service is a separate dept, it's all the same dealership. Of course don't forget, you need to keep the car long enough and then there's the loss of use of the money during that time and last, if you roll it into your loan or lease it'll cost you interest so have them sharpen their deal.
A specific provision of our four year maintenance plan is that any portion not used due to early sale of the car before all four years of service are complete is prorated and refundable. Otherwise, I'd not have taken it. MB does the same provision for MBrace or any other multi-year program, like extended or additional warranties (e.g., wheels).

·
Registered
608 Posts
If I can score a decent price for the maintenance plan for 3 years, I will sign up next year just before the service is due. There is no way that I will keep this car past 4 years/50,000 miles, so I don't really need a 4 year plan. Even if tires are rolled into the 3rd year, it can't come out to $3400. Will I need tires at 30,000 miles?

·
Registered
172 Posts
If I can score a decent price for the maintenance plan for 3 years, I will sign up next year just before the service is due. There is no way that I will keep this car past 4 years/50,000 miles, so I don't really need a 4 year plan. Even if tires are rolled into the 3rd year, it can't come out to $3400. Will I need tires at 30,000 miles?
I doubt that things like tires and brake pads are included in any of the plans.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts