Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Seems like I may be caught a stone or something as today I discovered a fairly deep scratch on my skid plate. Can this sort of damaged be repaired?
Can the skid plate scratches be polished somehow to make them disappear?
Your help and suggestions are appreciated, although it may seem small, it hurts to see it like that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Can you post a pick of the scratch? It might be a bit hard for us to tell whether or not it can be easily fixed but it will help with the investigation. Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey guys,
Seems like I may be caught a stone or something as today I discovered a fairly deep scratch on my skid plate. Can this sort of damaged be repaired?
Can the skid plate scratches be polished somehow to make them disappear?
Your help and suggestions are appreciated, although it may seem small, it hurts to see it like that.
Can you post a pick of the scratch? It might be a bit hard for us to tell whether or not it can be easily fixed but it will help with the investigation. Thanks.

Yeah, a picture would help. Not knowing exactly what you are referring to makes it hard to reply. If the part is made of plastic, some 3000 grit sand paper will help remove scratches.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still owe you the pictures, have them in my iPhone but couldn't upload them from ther and I was overseas for the entire week.

Anyhow, today I visited the dealer and a couple of body shops and detailing places all of them say it cannot be fixed, they seem to worry about the finish of the skid plate, that if they just sandit they won't be able to make it look good.

I am considering Kpel to avoid these issues in the future, anyone has had good experiences with it?

Also, I was thinking to have the skid plate painted to match the Mountain Gray of my GLA, without habpving the concern about the actual finish maybe it can be repaired, painted and then apply the Kpel. Anyone has painted the skid plate?

I will try to post pictures soon.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Plasti-dip to the rescue? ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Boris! I guess I will give it a try as the "Cover Bum" as MB calls it, part no. 156-885-36-22 big anyone needs it is $394 plus $180 in labor, so $600+ just to get rid of a minor scratch.
Once this is fixed somehow I am doing the Kpel film for sure, the whole front including headlights and yen rear view mirrors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the end I used some touch of silver paint to try to hide the scratch and installed XPel to the front bumper, grill, headlights, fog lights and mirrors.
They had to actually design the one for the skid plate being such a new car, anyhow, the result is fantastic! It protects the vehicle and also disguises the scratch really well.
I am thinking about doing the entire hood next.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts