Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was driving recently and saw this.
I gather that this is sailing mode.
No reference in the owners manual, so I started to look into it.
it’s a mode of the transmission where coasting is enabled.
Supposedly you have to be in C with the eco mode enabled and parkway driving.
For me, this is a rare situation because I take off the eco start stop before I get on the parkway.
This is supposed to save some gas, but with my foot, all I manage to do is 17.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You don’t have to have the ECO start/stop enabled for the sailing mode…

It’s kind of annoying IMO.. I wish I could easily code it out but that’s probably some master level stuff if it can be done.

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
That is indeed sail mode. And if you live in an area of long downhills or gradual slow downs it can allow a significant increase in mpgs.

Pam's previous car was a hybrid. So we got used to the motor shutting off. So I don't stress over eco mode. So I never thought about if eco is required or not. But you make an interesting observation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a 2017 GLA and if you were in Eco mode and took your foot off the gas, the consumption/mpg page would say "Gliding Mode" and the D lit up in green. My 2021 GLA does the same thing, without any indication of gliding mode.

·
Registered
388 Posts
yeah, my car is ALWAYS in gear, engine compression is in effect at all times always, minus pedal transitions between gas and brake. My glide mode is put it into 7th.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just tried it again, this time at neighborhood speeds, like 30 MPH. Turns on.
The minute i press the start-stop button, to turn off the green light (as the car drives), the sailing mode goes away.
You HAVE to leave the eco-start-stop on for this to work. And it will work at low speeds too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With this car, with the M133, that has the 8.6:1 compression ratio, the downshifts with bleeps are entertaining, but with little effect.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, this! Ha ha ha! Get that old iron rolling and it wants to keep rolling for sure. Or did they actually slide into a "coasting" mode?

I'm pretty sure I've had it work with the ECO mode disabled, but can't be certain. I just know I typically disable it on my way home so it doesn't shut off when I pull into the garage, just to have to start again to shut it off. And I had it "Sail" on the way home yesterday.

Standard on the 70's Coup DeVille, any Lincoln, most Buicks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts