Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a rust formation on the metal pipes, between the engine and the condenser, is this normal? are there more people experiencing this issue? If yes, something to worry about? The GLA200 has 2.5 years old, so I would not expect this. Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
509 Posts
Many automotive parts are designed to accept a certain amount of surface "flash rust" with no deleterious effects. Disc brake rotors come readily to mind (removed by brake pad interaction).

Counterintuitively a thin layer of rust can actually curtail further rust in many cases. There are some commercial building exterior steel girders that are designed to form an initial layer of rust.

I'm pretty anal so I typically clean away same in the engine bay if I can reasonably reach it. If I can't I just don't worry about it (well, I try not to ;)).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you a lot! Anyway it would still be good if someone is seeing this in the pipes around the engine could share his experience!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The car lived in Germany for 3years
Maybe salt from the roads during winter? I live in Andorra and if you don't clean your car properly, you can have some big rust issues because of the salt they use in the roads to prevent snow to freeze and become ice, just a guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts