Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,619 Posts
No, I have not heard of a factory tire change. Sorry for any confusion.

But for the second set of tires, we do have freedom of choice. While I have no affiliation, I do believe in Michelin.

And you are right, in the Bay Area we get by with a single set of tires.

I can sympathize. I grew up in Upstate New York. Every November the knobbies went onto the motorcycle (and the studs went on the car).

·
Registered
608 Posts
Mine is FWD-tires were rotated in February, so the fronts were pretty good. We had several storms (upstate NY), and the car performed like a champ. I thought about having a plow mounted, to make a little income on the side. I fear that the tires are wearing pretty fast. I think I will look at non-runflats, and carry the slime kit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I got mine...the sales person told me they are run flats....and it lead me to get the tire warranty...
I'm double checking on that with the technician since I had to send it in to fix ECO start/stop.
If they are not, that would be another place they lied to me.....
Can I ask how much do a set of 20'' tires cost if they are not run flats?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
For a US spec GLA45 AMG none come with run flats. The only variation is 19" or 20" summer performance tires. Replacement 20" NON run flats range from $260 to around $400 depending on tire manufacturer and summer vs max performance etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For a US spec GLA45 AMG none come with run flats. The only variation is 19" or 20" summer performance tires. Replacement 20" NON run flats range from $260 to around $400 depending on tire manufacturer and summer vs max performance etc.
Thanks! I probably would not get the tire insurance if I know they are not run flats.....

·
Registered
155 Posts
the only thing i like about runflat is th tyre bigger than the rim and it sort of protecting the rim from kerb scratch.

in my hot climate country allyear round, tyre pressure in hot weather can go up another 30kpa. that mean i i pump 270kpa, at noon my tyre pressure will be at 300kps, that feel very bumpy and hard

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-TL10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got my car back and the service advisor told me mine are run flats....I'll double check when I got home but I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what he is talking about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe the wrong thread, but:
Anyone tried 245/40-20 instead of the original 235´s?
A bit troublesome to get the 235´s for me.......when the shifting will be at hand....

Sorry, found the answer....

·
Registered
3 Posts
When the oem tires wore out, I tried Yokahoma S Drives (245/40/20). These are summer tires (not extreme summer) so not as sticky but longer wear. This tire has been made for quite some time and always test well in dry or rain. Grant it new stuff out there that rank higher. Ive been very happy with them as my car is DD.

So here is another tire option for guys.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i changed over to all season after my oem ones worn out at 17k. had 2/32 left in the front and 5/32 in the back. i went with 245/40r20 pirelli p zero as plus and they're a lot better than the OEM in all aspects.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had a dealer loaner car awhile ago and the tire blew out on the highway. I have to admit, the runflat feature was nice, and a real life saver. I would have been high and dry right away if not for that feature.

That said, I feel like it just dosn't make sense on the AMG to weigh down the wheels with run flats. Nor does it make sense IMO to pick all-seasons that compromise the car performance, when there are so many no-compromise decisions made already to gear up for performance, at significant cost to the "typical Mercedes driving experience". My opinion only.

I ended up running Potenza RE-71R's at 245/40/19. Slightly wider contact patch and 2.2% smaller. The grip is outstanding, and I think an improvement on the original intention for the car, not originally selected due to the lifetime reduction of the tire.

Sure is a fun drive though.

·
Super Moderator
303 Posts
I had my lease end pre-inspection yesterday and the guy was looking for a spare tire. Of course our 250 came with runflats and the Harman Kardon system takes up the space anyway. :LOL:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use the Nokian Z-line on my CLK 500 Cabrio. It's a performance tire but with all-season compound, so it works in the sketchy cold/wet condition. The car is parked over the winter, but I don't want to get caught-out someplace unexpected.

It seems like a good fit for a lot of people. Price is amazing.

·
Super Moderator
303 Posts
I've run Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ A/S on my Audi TTS for the past two years and they've been excellent. Not as good in deep snow as a dedicated Winter tire but highly competent in med.-light snow/sleet/slush which is most often my need. Similar "get caught" assurance.
Surprisingly good in Summer sporty cornering as well, but of course not as good as a dedicated sticky performance tire.
In Michelin I trust. ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Funny thing is, a drive for me in winter looks like this...

100ft driveway in a foot or two of snow, then a packed snow secondary road to a plowed but wet state hwy, then a 100mph run on dry interstate of +50f r/t to the city 100 miles each way....reverse and repeat on the way home as things freeze back up.

So, the only REAL solution is to simply tow a trailer full of tires behind you and stop on the ramps to swap tires enroute. Deep snows for the driveway, sport snows for the secondary roads, all-seasons for the state highway and performance tire for high speed on the interstate highway. Because, ya know, you NEED the BEST tire for EVERY situation....and all-seasons are junk....right??? "No-seasons" is what they call them, except the name says "all" seasons.

Some guys swap snows on for Thanksgiving, which for me means no more snow for months ahead, maybe an inch. Because ya know.... if your only other set of tires are summer performance, ok umm, don't want all-seasons, right? From October thru Dec it's cold and wet with very little snow in PA, what comes down is plowed and dry in hours. Same for March thru May....half of the year. BUT WHICH TIRE??? Snows or summers are the only choices for real men.

·
Super Moderator
303 Posts
I hear ya and used to do seasonal swaps of dedicated summer/winter tires. But now I can pick and choose my driving days so all season are adequate for my needs. And saves me precious storage space not having dedicated Summer tires (I had a rack in garage of prior home).

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I was young, I would go out for a ride in the snow, akin to going sledding as a kid. Now, I just stay home. The best use for snows is a rescue mission.

I find a very good solution is two sets, but NOT actual snows. No, I mean two sets of all-seasons. The oem junk that came on your car for "summer" and a killer set of all-seasons for "winter".

It's effective, economical and efficient. The "smokers" you can run down to the belts because you don't depend on them for winter, so you don't ever have to throw out half-worn tires. The good set you take off before the heat of hot summer pavement wilts them....getting 2 or 3 good seasons from them, then....voila' they becomes the next set of smokers.

Unfortunately my OCD sometimes leads me to THREE sets, two all-seasons and one sport snows. I'll be doing a tire thread sometime soon. I'll actually be running 17"s. I want big ass 235/60-17 or at least 235/-55-17 or even 225/60-17 but am stuck with a brand new set of 225/55-17 sport snows I bought for the Avant and mounted on my Metris wheels (dying to see them on the GLA) The Metris got black TSWs, long story.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got Pirelli P7 Plus on closeout $94. 235/55-17, although I wanted 235/60-17, the 55 will still ride cushy.

The P7 is smooth and quiet, with very good handling and no problems with grip.

I let my Nexen Winguard 2 Sports go for a song, w/o even getting to use them. 225/55-17 would work, but is smaller than I wanted. I didn't get a sport snow or all-weather tire again, I want something I can use a lot. I'm in FL all winter as well and the car is parked in PA.

I will treat them like snows, removing them in the spring for the Maxxis Bravo that the car dealer put on. Not the best plan, but pretty good and only spent $150 plus m&b. I didn't want to sell the Maxxis and start from scratch. I should get 2-3 good winters from the Pirellis.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts