Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
792 Posts
Yes, a run flat tire is special Kris. It has a much stronger inner structure to allow it to run when flat. That’s one of the reasons they’re more expensive than conventional tires, and also why they tend to be louder.

·
Super Moderator
792 Posts
Yes, there's a spare tire, jack, etc. you can procure. However if you have the premium sound option you won't be able to fit a donut spare under the rear cover. A jack and lug wrench will fit beneath.
Oh, and given lug bolts (vs. American lug nuts) it's also a good idea to get a "lug hanger" which supports the wheel as you remove the last of the lug bolts.

As Wayne cites many vehicles without runflats/spare carry a 12V inflator and can of tire "goop" sealant which works reasonably well to get you to a shop. But these days I more rely on AAA as well as it's just too dangerous to change a tire by the side of ever busier roads.

See this thread for spare tire etc. discussion: Spare tire and tire kit for GLA250 4matic

·
Super Moderator
792 Posts
Wayne‘s list reminds me of the children’s story with two monkeys going on a camping trip. One includes so many items he ultimately can’t go. The other just a few essentials and he’s on his way. ;)
But in a former Jeep I’m guilty of loading up for every possible contingency; most items never used.

·
Super Moderator
792 Posts
Yes Kris, many folks swap out runflats for the somewhat more comfortable & quiet ride of standard tires. An 18" rim is also a good choice as the tire will have a taller profile, again promoting comfort (and a bit more Winter pothole protection).

·
Super Moderator
792 Posts
The GLA is our first experience with A/S Runflats (Conti ProContact TX SSR in 235/50R18), and I have to say they're better from a ride/noise perspective than I too was led to believe. After 2 years my wife does now comment that it's not as comfortable a ride as prior Caddy ATS (which is I think the least comfortable Caddy, as more BMW 3 series sport competitive). But overall she's fine with it, as am I.
And that runflat peace of mind that we can make it to a now nearby tire shop is a plus. Also many year AAA members.
But I do understand those who want to go back to a standard tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts