Mercedes-Benz GLA Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
The TPMS will signal a tire pressure loss in the display. That's your warning to slow down and drive no more than 50 miles to a place you can replace the tire. That leaves a lot of places that are too far away to help. But at least you can get to safety. Unless you hit something hard and blow out the sidewall, in which car you're stuck.

Replace the tire? Yes, run flats can not be repaired. And they are more expensive. And they don't handle as well. And they emit more road noise. And they can cause a rougher ride. It's up to the individual whether they are worth it or not. I carry a small pump, a can of fix-a-flat, and a tire plug kit instead.

The one tire problem we had was on a road trip. A road colored insulator caused a sidewall blowout. That was 50 miles from the nearest town. That's why I have AAA with their extended tow option.

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
Huey52 made an excellent point regarding the lug hanger. I carry two for the road as well as having two in my garage (for doing rotations). Two will fully align the wheel and stop the wheel from rotating and damaging a caliper. And while it can be hard to align the wheel to the lug hangers when reinstalling, it is near to impossible to hold the wheel in position by yourself and get the lugs started.

But what Huey52 reminded me of is the wheel stick problem. Even with anti seize on the hub I still need to use a dead blow hammer to remove my wheels. They will not simply pull off. They must be hit to release. If you are going to swap wheels while parked on the shoulder you will want to be able to remove the wheel!!!

You also will want a board or something to stabilize the bottom of the jack.

And perhaps the rubber pucks that mount into the lifting points to hold the top of the jack in place.

And a torque wrench for reassembly.

A tarp to lay on. A flashlight. Disposable gloves. Hand cleaner and rags. A refuse bag. A change of clothes. A sheet to cover the seat when you drive away.

And so the list expands ...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.